Issue With The Appstore When Running From A Pandora

If we switch to chrome or chromium , will midori and / or arora still be included in the os image ? Don't want to ruin anyone's parade but chrome adblock sucks. It just hides the ads. Firefox adblock plus can block ads from being downloaded. The chrome adblock thing is probably because google sells ads so they wont let you block them. Hide them yes. I hope we do not switch to chrome/chromium.

Another reason I do not want us to have chrome as the default browser is because it has the stupid omnibox. I would rather have an awesome like bar and a search box that has multiple search engines and can have list of engines added. I think we should have midori or arora and stay with them. Switching software for pointless reasons is stupid. If midori and arora have bugs, fix them. Do not switch apps.

maplesugarlover said:
Another reason I do not want us to have chrome as the default browser is because it has the stupid omnibox. I would rather have an awesome like bar and a search box that has multiple search engines and can have list of engines added. I think we should have midori or arora and stay with them. Switching software for pointless reasons is stupid. If midori and arora have bugs, fix them. Do not switch apps.

That's a really good idea! When are you starting your bux fixing then?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry if this is a n00b question, but what about Firefox? Did it cause any problems or something?
From what I remember, there was a working build that came along with Angström, here's the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYf-I1UuWhk#t=01m08s

The problem was that Firefox isn't as fast as the webkit based browsers, though a lot of people still prefer it for the extensions and such.

I believe that simply typing "sudo ipkg install firefox" will install it for you from the angstrom repo. Alternately, you can grab the package file here and do "sudo ipkg install firefox_3.6.3-r0.5_armv7a.ipk". Though I'm sure somebody will release a PND soon-ish, and that'd be the more proper way to do it.

And here is an archive of Fennec (mobile Firefox) which you should just be able to extract to a directory and run directly. There'll probably be a PND of it as well at some point.

EDIT: I made a PND of Fennec. I'll upload it to the archive and/or appstore if anyone with a Pandora can confirm that I didn't botch anything horribly and it actually works. And sorry for the awfulness of Rapidshare.

I seriously recommend using PND versions of any and all programs that you use. Unfortunately, I'm too close to sleep to remember why I feel this way...

NightArck said:
Sorry if this is a n00b question, but what about Firefox? Did it cause any problems or something?
Firefox is a beast of a program. It's not as slim as it once was. It has very much grown in the direction of desktop machines which have large amounts of RAM at their disposal. It sacrifices some efficiency for greater accuracy and speed where it can get the RAM, but as a result it isn't really suited for something with only 256MB. It can run, it's just as snappy as some of the other offerings.

iampanis said:
EDIT: I made a PND of Fennec. I'll upload it to the archive and/or appstore if anyone with a Pandora can confirm that I didn't botch anything horribly and it actually works. And sorry for the awfulness of Rapidshare.
Awesome!

fearofshorts said:
I seriously recommend using PND versions of any and all programs that you use. Unfortunately, I'm too close to sleep to remember why I feel this way...
Because NAND is relatively small compared to your SD card, and Firefox is huge!

WizardStan said:
iampanis said:
Awesome!
+1

I demand vids!

Oops, I just realized there was a small omission in that PND. I forgot to add a script that did 'set $HOME=.' so that all the config files would go into the appdata folder instead of the home folder on the NAND. Here's a more proper one: fennec.pnd

WizardStan said:
NightArck said:
Firefox is a beast of a program. It's not as slim as it once was. It has very much grown in the direction of desktop machines which have large amounts of RAM at their disposal. It sacrifices some efficiency for greater accuracy and speed where it can get the RAM, but as a result it isn't really suited for something with only 256MB. It can run, it's just as snappy as some of the other offerings.
Oh I see, thanks for the info.

iampanis said:
Oops, I just realized there was a small omission in that PND. I forgot to add a script that did 'set $HOME=.' so that all the config files would go into the appdata folder instead of the home folder on the NAND. Here's a more proper one: fennec.pnd
That's awesome, hopefully it'll work well.

SomeGuy99 said:
maplesugarlover said:

we'll sorry , I'm not a developer. It just seems that it would be easier to fix bugs with something than start all over. Also isn't chrome a ram hog ? How does it run on the pandora ?

maplesugarlover said:
SomeGuy99 said:
maplesugarlover said:

we'll sorry , I'm not a developer. It just seems that it would be easier to fix bugs with something than start all over. Also isn't chrome a ram hog ? How does it run on the pandora ?

You make a really good point! I think the four or five firmware devs we have could really make a difference on ropey projects like Midori. Chrome too! I think Google only has one person working on that one, so we could really turn the entire thing around.

SomeGuy99 said:
maplesugarlover said:
SomeGuy99 said:
maplesugarlover said:

You make a really good point! I think the four or five firmware devs we have could really make a difference on ropey projects like Midori. Chrome too! I think Google only has one person working on that one, so we could really turn the entire thing around.
What is so amazing about chrome? It has bugs like any other browser. It is also missing features that other browsers have. Midori and arora aren't bad browsers. By your logic we should switch the os to android because google is working on that and lots of devices use it. We also shouldn't include abiword or gnumeric because big distros like ubuntu use open office and they supposedly fix almost every bug. Oh, we should also replace linux with apple's darwin kernal because it is open source and if a big company like apple develops it, it must be bug free.

Sorry, I'll switch off the sarcasm generator for a minute.

Midori, Chrome etc. are huge projects with loads of people working on them. The bugs there are likely to be serious, possibly as a result of the design of each program. Our firmware developers have been working on the Pandora firmware for years, and these guys have full time jobs too. You really expect a few guys who are already working flat out, for no pay to start solving all the problems in huge software projects? That's a little outside the scope of this project.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but asking the firmware devs to 'fix' Midori from being crash happy is unrealistic.

SomeGuy99 said:
Our firmware developers have been working on the Pandora firmware for years, and these guys have full time jobs too. You really expect a few guys who are already working flat out, for no pay to start solving all the problems in huge software projects?
Why does it require the core OPT devs?
I'm not saying which is for the best etc, but isn't the whole point that we're a community and it's open?

Na-Noo said:
SomeGuy99 said:
Our firmware developers have been working on the Pandora firmware for years, and these guys have full time jobs too. You really expect a few guys who are already working flat out, for no pay to start solving all the problems in huge software projects?
Why does it require the core OPT devs?
I'm not saying which is for the best etc, but isn't the whole point that we're a community and it's open?

Yeah, but right now hardly anyone has a Pandora. And I also don't envision anybody doing entire rewrites of Midori or anything like it... custom versions maybe... a few bug fixes, sure... but to make it stable? That sounds like a big job to me. I'd love for it to happen though.

^ I'm not really interested in this discussion, but I'll just throw in that there is an N8x0 port of Midori which worked well last time i tried. It might be interesting for someone who wants Midori. Personally I'd like to have Tear, but I think it will be ported soon enough when more folks from the Maemo community get their Pandoras.

Is midori unstable ? I've only seen it in evil dragon's videos ,but Arora does have a mac os x version and I have tried it. Arora is stable, uses a small amount of ram and has great features like ad-blocking and click to flash built in. The only bad things are that it doesn't have full html 5 ,( wouldn't play legend of sadness ), 2 finger scrolling on my macbook doesn't work , is missing a firefox like awesome bar and opera's speed dial , and a polar bear humping the earth makes an awful logo.

Back