April/may 2008 Availability?!

The MK1's are the first 100 semi self-assembly units right? I'd love one of them (bugs and all), but being only 100 (including free ones to core devs) that doesn't leave many I guess...

JakeK said:
So MK1 are the units where all the bugs and whatnot are found for the next release?
From this thread:
MWeston said:
... Those first 100 (actually 110) are reserved mainly for code developers who can provide benefit to the system by adding programs that will create a nice suite of software and mature tools for the main launch.

There are a number of professionals in industry that want a Pandora to code on and Craig probably knows of many coders key to the GP2X scene who will get first dibs on systems.

Last edited by a moderator:
MK 0.1's are ready next week. Those will be the ones with all the bugs, hopefully not too many! Coding with development kits still continues as the code will keep maturing week after week. Eventually the migration to Pandora boards will become our only focus but the main difference between Pandora and dev boards now is just wifi, analog nubs and better power management for battery powered applications.

MK1's will be released in May and those should be pretty stable but are allowed to have anything that was missed in the 0.1's. We expect to find more bugs in the kernel than the hardware by that time. This is the limited run of 100 kits to people who want to find bugs and mature the software. We are trying for these to be fully assembled units that run out of the box as it might not be the best idea to provide bare boards to less "electronically" minded individuals. :)

After that, and depending on whether suppliers can keep their lead times down, MK2 (which really is just the public release of MK1 unless more board errors are found or parts changes are needed for high volumes) will keep flowing out of the factory and into customer's hands as fast as we can get them out there.

MWeston said:
MK 0.1's are ready next week. Those will be the ones with all the bugs, hopefully not too many! Coding with development kits still continues as the code will keep maturing week after week. Eventually the migration to Pandora boards will become our only focus but the main difference between Pandora and dev boards now is just wifi, analog nubs and better power management for battery powered applications.

MK1's will be released in May and those should be pretty stable but are allowed to have anything that was missed in the 0.1's. We expect to find more bugs in the kernel than the hardware by that time. This is the limited run of 100 kits to people who want to find bugs and mature the software. We are trying for these to be fully assembled units that run out of the box as it might not be the best idea to provide bare boards to less "electronically" minded individuals. :)

After that, and depending on whether suppliers can keep their lead times down, MK2 (which really is just the public release of MK1 unless more board errors are found or parts changes are needed for high volumes) will keep flowing out of the factory and into customer's hands as fast as we can get them out there.
Ahh ok, that explains it all.

Talking about going into customers hands, have suppliers been confirmed yet (if so can you tell me who they are)?

smallestviolinwz4.jpg

atomicthumbs said:
MWeston said:
After that
:(
I thought they would be ready by my birthday on April 16. Oh well. :unsure:

Yeah, Kinda shocked me too, I thought the release in April / May would be a stable release for the public, but if they are only going to be buggy, not many, and all of that. we can easly expect a release like June / July?? Not Actually April / May? Well unless somebody who doesn't know a lot about coding, i won't buy it until they stable-ish, and this thread kinda confirms they won't actually be out for a while longer????

Gee, Am i the only person who is ULTRA confused haha

Thanks MWeston. It's nice to have some more specific info.

The dates sound reasonable, but I can't help but notice MWeston's timeline is 2 months off from the date originally posted (and still on) the official webpage.

MWeston said:
MK1's will be released in May and those should be pretty stable but are allowed to have anything that was missed in the 0.1's. We expect to find more bugs in the kernel than the hardware by that time. This is the limited run of 100 kits to people who want to find bugs and mature the software.

Ordering for the 'First edition' Pandora may start in March, note that these will be beta versions of the console mostly for devs or hackers to try out and report back on.

and are you surprised? setbacks happen. An optimistic launch set for spring 2008 ending up being only delayed until summer 2008 would be amazing!

I mean, look at the Giz, they're now looking at 6 months delay from target launch. (Now granted the comparison is only meant to highlight that setbacks can and do happen and I don't want people to confuse that this is in any other way a comparison between the pandora and the giz ;))

A rule I have always used (and it never ceases to fail, is that you take the time you think is needed to complete a project and then triple that time.... it always seems to work out that way).

Not confusing AT ALL!

Think it's looking great, thanks Mweston for the explanation. And please do take as much time as you need. I despair to think of all the kids flooding these boards with their complaints when their units are indeed buggy. I am more thank happy to wait until you guys have it ready, and if that takes a few more months, then it must be so!

The later it comes out, the better chance I have of getting some birthday money for it. :ph34r:

Back