Are Hotfixes Idempotent?

chuckr

Still Fresh
I'm sure this must have been answered elsewhere, but I have tried really hard to find it, and I can't. I want to bring this Pandora to the latest Hotfix level, but I can't see anywhere that tells me what the Hotfix level is. I supposeit only really matters if the Hotfixes aren't idempotent, but I can't find that anywhere, either. I did see where hotfixes are cumulative, which is a feature that (it seems to me) isn't needed if something like uname could announce the current hotfix level.

Also, the pandora_rootfs images don't have the version & hotfix level in their naming. I think any release engineer would be upset at that, and it'd be easy to fix, wouldn't it? Anyhow, if I can find out if the hotfixes are idempotent, and what the installed level is, I'll be satisfied just fine.

if you are unsure if you have the latest, just install the latest, afaik there is no way to see what hotfix you have...

If you apply hotfix 4, it will update everything to hotfix 4 regardless of what hotfix level it was already at, including hotfix 4: ie, it won't make a difference; it is idempotent.

To elaborate a little, it's my understanding that hotfix 4 is just a bundle of ipk packages and a script that tells opkg to install them all. Since opkg is based on dpkg, running hotfix 4 multiple times should have the same effect as reinstalling a package in Debian (ie: brings all files owned by the package back to their initial state).

Back