Are These Good Headphones?

Azure

Trust the recursion...
I'm looking for some new headphones for a cd player and I ran into these beauties. They look REAL nice, but I only want to use them for my cd player. I don't even know how I will hook the headphones through the box to my cd player! So, if money wasn't an object, would these be good for use with my cd player (Is it even possible to use the headphones with it because the channels are for 5.1 Sub/Cen, Rear, and Front. Which one would I use?), or should I get these?

(I'm looking for some noise-cancelling headphones under $79 with the kind of ear muffs in the 2 aforementioned headphones)

Gah too big. I suggest these, I don't own the personally, but they look decent and now that you mention it I could use a new pair of headphones. My current headphones leave much to be desired. Old broken sony headphones taped back together with respliced wire that shorts out every once in awhile. :p

Mofokubik posted on May 12 2004 at 10:15 PM said:
Gah too big. I suggest these,
Gah too small! I want those really big ones that block out all the outside sound. The ones that completly wrap around your ears.

Last edited by a moderator:
Grado SR-series headphones absolutely destroy any non-reference set out there right now - if you visit some stereophile forums, you'll find them being recommended near-unanimously (some prefer Sennheisers...they sound OK, but their build quality has been garbage of late.) The SR-60 and SR-80 are what'll be available in your price range. No, they aren't the prettiest to look at, but they're 100% uncompromising when it comes to sound quality. www.gradolabs.com.

(Frankly, I find the 'anti-noise'-projecting headphones in the <$150 range to be overrated - Eggos all the way for me. :p Grados are still tops in sound quality by far, though.)

What's wrong with the <$150 'anti-noise'-projecting headphones? And where can I purchase those Grado headphones?

Azure posted on May 13 2004 at 06:38 AM said:
What's wrong with the <$150 'anti-noise'-projecting headphones? And where can I purchase those Grado headphones?
Just that many of them are overpriced, are poorly constructed, or simply don't sound that great - true of most cheap headphones, only they aren't so cheap. The Sennheiser PXC250 is decent, but still retails for $130~150. The HD280 (which is sealed, not noise-cancelling) is probably the better choice, but even it retails for $100+.

This is a quick summary of budget to mid-range headphones: Headphone.com Summary. The SR-80's primary advantage over the SR-60 (increased resonance/bass) can't be fully realized without a headphone amplifier, so you may want to stick with the SR-60 for portable use.

Grados aren't available factory-direct (and are rarely in stores) so try Reference AV, Stereo Trading Outlet, or eBay/Half.com.

Wow...just read several reviews and all of them state that the SR-60s are one of the best headphones ever created, and that they even compare to $500-600 headphones! None of the reviews mentioned any flaws! I think we have a winner!

EDIT: I just noticed that the ear piece is a solid piece with no depression. I was expecting it to wrap around my ear so that I woudn't disturb others with loud volume. I didn't expect that such a high-quality set of headphones would use this method. Imaging good sound quality from them is really hard. If they were like other high-end headphones, with their cup design, it'd be ok...

Azure posted on May 13 2004 at 05:23 AM said:
Gah too small! I want those really big ones that block out all the outside sound. The ones that completly wrap around your ears.
I know what you're saying, I think he's more pn about the fact that you'll look like a dj lol.

I'm lookin for a decent set of new earphones to, i cureently have a set of those sony w-ear things that clip on your ear, i dont like in ear ones as i get ear infections ridiculously easy, and i want some bass heavy ones for use with me gp and cd player has ne1 got any good recomendations?

Azure posted on May 13 2004 at 06:51 AM said:
Wow...just read several reviews and all of them state that the SR-60s are one of the best headphones ever created, and that they even compare to $500-600 headphones! None of the reviews mentioned any flaws! I think we have a winner!

EDIT: I just noticed that the ear piece is a solid piece with no depression. I was expecting it to wrap around my ear so that I woudn't disturb others with loud volume. I didn't expect that such a high-quality set of headphones would use this method. Imaging good sound quality from them is really hard. If they were like other high-end headphones, with their cup design, it'd be ok...
Well then, the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro might be available on eBay in the sub-$80 range...best pair of sealed headphones around for the price.

kknd_cf posted on May 13 2004 at 03:37 PM said:
Azure posted on May 13 2004 at 05:23 AM said:
I know what you're saying, I think he's more pn about the fact that you'll look like a dj lol.
you seriously care about how you look like when you're listening to music at home?

I don't see the point in having huge bulky headphones, although my friend bought some for 30$ and they were the most efficient great-sounding headphones i've ever used.

Mofokubik posted on May 14 2004 at 08:20 PM said:
I don't see the point in having huge bulky headphones, although my friend bought some for 30$ and they were the most efficient great-sounding headphones i've ever used.
there's your point right there.

jegHegy posted on May 14 2004 at 01:22 PM said:
Mofokubik posted on May 14 2004 at 08:20 PM said:
there's your point right there.
Well, if they sound really great, I don't care about their size.

I can't purchase from eBay.

So, should I still get the Grado SR-60s?

Does anybody here actually own the Grado SR-60s? If so, how's the bass on them? I'm looking for closed headphones so that I won't disturb others when listening to music.

Some people say the SR-60 is actually better than the SR-80 for portable use (the former delivers sufficient bass without an amp, the latter doesn't). I use my SR-80 primarily with Yogg (k2yaa player has a serious bass shortage), and even without an amp, to me they pack a more-than-ample (semi-unintended pun) punch.

I don't have a seperate portable music player, so I have no clue how much the player itself can affect sound quality - although I imagine it could be somewhat significant.

Back