Argos Dc Adapter Loose

Curvespace

Still Fresh
Hey all,

I've just bought the suggested dc adapter from Argos and am having problems getting it to work correctly with my F-100. The plug doesn't fit all the way into the dc input - there is about a 3mm left to go, meaning that the connection is flakey and the unit crashes if I move about too much (usually as a result of getting over-excited playing Metal Slug or Speedball 2!). It's almost impossible to use the unit in this state. I realise I can get hold of a rechargeable battery charger for almost no money, but I'd really like to be able to use an adapter too as I plan on using my GP32X quite a lot - I love it.

I've trawled the forums but not found a solution/answer to this problem. Any help is much appreciated :)

The way you describe it sounds like blu-tack ain't gonna do it. I suggest you buy a different tip/adapter, you've got the wrong one.

I've considered trying to juryrig something to keep it in place, but the connection is probably too loose - the weight of the cable itself is pretty much enough to pull it right out. Also, I've messed about with dodgy power cables like this before and it's a pain in the backside - you spend as much time worrying about the cable as you do actually enjoying the machine. I only got my GP2X a few days ago (as a present) and don't want to have to make any substantial compromises to get it working.

I hope it's not the wrong adapter - I reserved it at Argos using the link on the external power supplies wiki page. This is the one I have (http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9829701.htm).

I'm really racking my brains as to what the problem is and how to fix it. Is the adapter plug too large? Is the input too narrow? What the hell is obstructing this thing when it gets a certain distance in? The GP32X is second-hand - could it be that it's been knocked and something has moved/bent across the path of the plug? Could there be something inside there (biscuits, loose change?) that is causing the obstruction. I know these seem highly unlikely, but I just can't figure out why two standardised parts don't fit one-another.

Maybe the adapter plug is badly machined, so might it be worth me taking it back and trying other ones in the shop? It's the only variable I think I can eliminate, it's just annoying the shop is ten miles away and I don't have a car!

What do you guys think? I don't wanna make the trip unless I have too!:)

You're not the only one with that problem!

I have the same damn adapter. I've been trying to look for the right fitting, for the power socket on the gp2x, but I'm unable to find one.

Does *anyone* know the correct power fitting for the gp2x?

namco said:
You're not the only one with that problem!

I have the same damn adapter. I've been trying to look for the right fitting, for the power socket on the gp2x, but I'm unable to find one.

Does *anyone* know the correct power fitting for the gp2x?
Sorry to hear that you're suffering the same fate :( I wont be making a trip back to Argos then - I guess a different adapter isn't going to make a difference.

Seems strange to me that so many people have no problem with this particular adapter, where does the inconsistency lie? Do you reckon that there's something inherently 'broken' with our GP2X's?

I wonder how many other people are having the same problem? Buying the recommended adapter and then having it not fit is damn annoying and doesn't do the machine's reputation too many favours. It's a shame because I've pretty much fallen in love with the thing - it reminds me of my Amiga :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got an Argos adaptor and it fits fine on my F100.

Probably silly questions, but are you sure you're pushing the adapter piece in far enough and are you using the smallest one, with the yellow tip?

I don't use my adaptor often, but it's given me no problems.

Yeah, I'm using the yellow-tipped, smallest adapter. It seems to fit up until the last 3mm, where it would actually lock in place. I've used quite a lot of force to try and get it all the way in, but I'm scared of breaking something. It's coming up against something hard and completely immovable.

I have that adapter - same problem. It's a fraction of a millimeter out from the size of the hole and crashes about 9/10 times when powering on. And as you said, it sticks out a long way.

I'm thinking I'll take the thing into Maplins at the weekend and see what they make of it. I'll probably take a print-out of the suggested power adapters with me to help the staff there.

Fingers crossed and all that.

Curvespace said:
I'm thinking I'll take the thing into Maplins at the weekend and see what they make of it. I'll probably take a print-out of the suggested power adapters with me to help the staff there.

Hi Curvespace,

This is the power adaptor i have:

Uniross 2500mA Power Adaptor

I got mine from Argos, When they used to stock them, And not the crap they have now.

It work 100% with the GP2x and the GP32 with the little yellow connector supplied and is a nice secure fit.

It`s actually £5 more than i paid for mine from Argos, But that was a couple of years ago.

It maybe more than you are willing to pay for a power adaptor (Unless you can find it cheaper elsewhere), But i can guarantee that it will fit great in the GP2x.

Trooper

Curvespace said:

Maplins do one that fits quite nicely. I'm using one of those.

When I tried to get one at Maplins, a couple of months back they said they didn't do them - hence why I then went to Argos. I figured it strange, but they know more than me (probably). I even showed them the Wiki page suggesting their adapter, without success.

BTW I bought the £14.00 Argos one - maybe that's different to the £7.00 and why mine is OK.

Tesco also do one for £7.00 - not sure how different it is to yours though Curvespace.

iprice said:
When I tried to get one at Maplins, a couple of months back they said they didn't do them - hence why I then went to Argos. I figured it strange, but they know more than me (probably). I even showed them the Wiki page suggesting their adapter, without success.

BTW I bought the £14.00 Argos one - maybe that's different to the £7.00 and why mine is OK.

Tesco also do one for £7.00 - not sure how different it is to yours though Curvespace.
It sounds like You have the same adaptor that i have, I paid £14.99 from Agos, Is is a uniross like the one i linked to in my previous post ?. I`ve had it for a few years and as i have said previously, It works great with the GP2x and the GP32 with the small yellow plug, Which is a nice snug fit.

Trooper

Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated. :)

I'm a little unsure what to do because I want to try the adapter in-store, just to make sure the fault isn't with the GP2X. I'm not sure I'll be able to get that service in Argos, so I guess I'll probably give Maplins a go - even though iprice has just mentioned that he had no luck there. It's quite a big store we have in Bristol so with any luck they'll have something to sort me out... £20 is pretty steep for an adapter though :(

On a side-note, does the cradle supply power? Could I get an adapter capable of powering both the cradle when docked and the handheld when not? I'm just thinking that if I'm going to spend that kind of money it'd make sense to get one that could do both to future-proof myself a bit.

Curvespace said:
On a side-note, does the cradle supply power? Could I get an adapter capable of powering both the cradle when docked and the handheld when not? I'm just thinking that if I'm going to spend that kind of money it'd make sense to get one that could do both to future-proof myself a bit.
It's doubtful, the GP2X wants 3.3V (or close to) centre negative. The cradle wants 5V centre positive.

In Maplins however, I bought a box full of connectors (about 12 in total if I remember correctly) for £4.99 and an adaptor for £7.99. That's £12.98, and the plug fits perfectly.

Squidge said:
Curvespace said:
It's doubtful, the GP2X wants 3.3V (or close to) centre negative. The cradle wants 5V centre positive.

In Maplins however, I bought a box full of connectors (about 12 in total if I remember correctly) for £4.99 and an adaptor for £7.99. That's £12.98, and the plug fits perfectly.

Nice one. Shame I can't get an adapter to do both, but I'll head over to Maplins at the weekend and see what I can dig-up. :)

I wonder if something shouldn't be mentioned on the suggested external adapters wiki because it seems like this has affected quite a few people (I've no idea of the exact ratio), but it might be worth stating that it's worth trying to fit the plug BEFORE you leave the shop, just to make sure it's ok.

Back