Favored Adaptors For Unit And Cradle?

sandaili

Still Fresh
Hi all!

I know of the Argos and the Radioshack versions of adaptors for the cradle and for the unit, and all the technical specs.

What I am really interested in is what brands you all use, and which ones work the best. I have heard from the wiki that the Radioshack plug is too small, really. I would rather not snap that one up if there's a better version.

That being said, the only other version I've really seen is the Argos one, but I'd rather not use it because it's European. I hate the plugs they use because in my sockets at home, they fall out of the socket when using the universal adaptor plug. :(

I want to buy the adaptors before buying the unit. I don't want to use batteries all that much.

Thanks,

Sandaili

Squidge said:
I use the SunPower SPS from Maplin. Bought it for my GP32 eons ago, still going strong :)
Thanks! I'll look into that. That's just for the unit, so I have one more to find out for the cradle :D

Thanks,

Sandaili

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a 12V supply from Maplin also. It has changeable ends and the one you need is a right angle one, which is handy. :p Was the 12V version of this I bought at £17.99. I'm sure you could get something similar for less though if you don't mind shopping around a bit.

For the GP2X itself, I'd go for any digital camera 2500mA supply like these ones, they should do the trick. Just remember that most supply's packing this high a current are switching supplies not regulated ones. As long as they are good quality though it shouldn't be a problem. As I am in Spain at the moment I've just ordered the official supply. It worked out about the same price for a "cheaper" one in the UK so I just went for it. Wouldn't have normally. The reason I bought a new one was because I was running a regulated AC/DC supply rated at 300mA. Unsurprisingly, the machine would crash A LOT. I'm now running a 1200mA rated switched mode supply that I borrowed from work which is much better. It only lets me down when I'm playing Quake so far, and sometimes with movies. Oh they run at 3V rather than 3.3V so no problems there.

What a coincidence, I was about to start a topic about exactly the same thing :p. I want to know if there's any adapters that people have bought themselves and have no problems with, I can't afford to buy a new GP2X if I buy a Power Supply that sends too high a current down it <_<. So can anybody recommend me an adapter from any UK based site/shop?

Thanks

You can't send too high a current unless the gp2x was already broke before you plugged in the psu. Do you mean voltage?

Back