Release Arora - Web Browser

ptitSeb

Serial Porter
Here is a new Web Browser for the Pandora. It's based on QtWebKit (found in build 09 of code::blocks).

There are some problem with build 01, I may have to rebuild QtWebKit to enable WebGL, so it will take time to enable that.Also, start page doesn't work, so change start page with your favorite one. Execpts this problems, the browser start quickly and is quite fast. It tried gmail and it work (after you validate some certificates warning), and there are many user agent (easily switchable) making it an interesting alternative.

History Log:

v0.11.0.07
--------------

• Corrected fileassociation so filename containing space can be launched.
  • Another attempt to fix SSL Certificate warning.

v0.11.0.06
--------------

• Corrected the dirty hack in Adblock so it can be re-enabled once disabled (and vice-versa).
  • Added lastest libflashplayer, but doesn't seems to works

v0.11.0.05
--------------

• Made Adblock disabled by default
  • Faster start when Adblock is disabled (I hope I didn't broke it)
  • New option, in Option|Apparence to have FullScreen without toolbars (just Tabs are visible)
  • Added certificates. You can add more if you want/need (in appdata/arora/home/certs)
  • Higher def icons (60x60 now).
  • Some more works on Flash, but still not enough
  • Recompile everything with more agressive optimizations

v0.11.0.04

-------------

• Added File Association for Firmware 1.54+.

v0.11.0.03
-------------

• Added more missing libs and added QT_PLUGIN_DIR export. All pictures should show up correctly now

v0.11.0.02
--------------

• Moved Cache and Settings folder to "appdata" instead of nand
  • try (and failed) to add plugins

v0.10.0.01
--------------

• Initial release
  • WebGL is missing
  • Start page looks non functionnal

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! It's pretty fast, but it seems to be missing any plug-ins (maybe that's what makes it so fast? ;) )

Earlier I tried to post here using Arora, but I couldn't send. Not sure if it was Arora or me downloading something with my Notebook at the same time.

I think for quick browsing it is excellent, but a lot of pages seem to have problems wiith it (probably due to plugins, maybe just flash would help).

For quick browsing (ie. just looking something up) it is much better than Firefox though, because it's so much faster. I'll definately keep it, but unfortunately it can't replace Firefox for me (yet?)

Thanks! It's pretty fast, but it seems to be missing any plug-ins (maybe that's what makes it so fast? ;) )

Earlier I tried to post here using Arora, but I couldn't send. Not sure if it was Arora or me downloading something with my Notebook at the same time.

I think for quick browsing it is excellent, but a lot of pages seem to have problems wiith it (probably due to plugins, maybe just flash would help).

For quick browsing (ie. just looking something up) it is much better than Firefox though, because it's so much faster. I'll definately keep it, but unfortunately it can't replace Firefox for me (yet?)
I 'm doing this comment from Arora. Looks lke it work.

*EDIT*: Edit works too. I find it faster than FF, but it's clearly less feature rich.

About Flash, that can be a problem. Don't know were to find that (exept in FF pnd, if it can even work as-is with Arora)

Nice and fast.

Maybe you could make fullscreen real foll screen without the upper bar visible.

Similar to FireFox.

ok, if I can post this it really was the simultanious download and not Arora  ^_^

I also tried to put the flash .so from the Firefox PND somewhere in the appdata folder, but since there is no "plugins" folder and /lib/ doesn't work I don't know where to put it either ...

By the way: the first thing I did in Firefox was making the top bar permanently visible in fullscreen mode, so I'd appreciate if hiding it will be only optional.

(now pressing the "send" button, let's see what happens ..)

Bonne chance! :)

I just noticed that it does not remember the Zoom level after a restart by the way.

And I found the fantastic feature of the Ctrl (right shoulder) button to enable "quick links"! Perfect for the Pandora!

If we can use it for flash games it's lighter than FireFox.

That's one reason why I don't want the top bar: More screen for Flash games.

New build. I tried to add the plugins, but it doesn't seems to load them. Also, according to the code (and the code is always right, only the reader can be mistaken), plugins can be put in "~/.mozilla/plugins", but I still can't make flash works.

I guess I'll have to debug, but QtWebKit is part of QT, and modifying this code is complicated, and takes a lot's of time to recompile...

Still, I have seen that QT apps uses somes "export" variables to writes Cache and other things, so I redirected that to appdata, instead of writing in the nand

v0.11.0.02

--------------

•  Moved Cache and Settings folder to "appdata" instead of nand
  • try (and failed) to add plugins

Nice. Already updated.

Go for the flash as it would be great for some Flashgames I think.

Have one here that's slow with FireFox and does RAM swap.

So if you get a Flash support as nice as FireFox I suppose it'll make things faster here.

Nice one. Only have two issues right now:

1. Not all pictures show

2. Tons of SSL errors whereever I go.

Any chance of fixing that?

It's really fast, I like that :)

Nice one. Only have two issues right now:

1. Not all pictures show

2. Tons of SSL errors whereever I go.

Any chance of fixing that?

It's really fast, I like that :)
For the picture, I may have missed a few .so in the PND, I'll fix that soon.

For the SSL, I don't know were they come from, it will be harder to fix :(

I have issues with pictures not showing up as well, and this morning after wanting to try it again Arora became super slow all of a sudden (while it was blazing fast the night before), basically "hanging" for several dozens of seconds before loading a page and so on. 

I tried:

- reinstalling

- deleting the appdata folder

but nothing fixed that. Arora is now stuck in a slow browsing state.

ANy idea what happened? 

About the pictures not showing, I think I have found the problem... I'll do some more test and some "lsof" analysis, and should upload a build 03 soon. About the speed problem, I am clueless for now. Maybe the default cache (50Mo) is too big or too little? Try changing this value (like a big change, to clearly see if it has an effect: 5Mo or 200Mo).

Well, I have uploaded a build 03 on the repo. I tried to correct the picture showing problem.

No clue on the slow starting yet.

v0.11.0.03

-------------

• Added more missing libs and added QT_PLUGIN_DIR export. All pictures should show up correctly now

Back