Release Arora - Web Browser

I will take a look. I haven't got time yet for this, but I have this on my todo.

Last edited by a moderator:
For me real full screen would be important.

Without Tabs and bars (optional if lots of people like them).

Same as for Fire Fox: When moving curser on top of the screen the bars come down would be perfect.

Is spell checking already possible?

For this kind of fullscreen, some more work will be required, so no promesses, I have to look deep in the code to see if it's easy.

Spell check, I have no idea. Don't think I have compile options for this... will check later.

Doesn't save zoom state.

Can this easily be done?

Don't want to zoom out every time.

Probably easier. I'll look at that too.

Because Arora seems no longer maintained, I'll look at all thoses thing (I normally let official team fix/improve the soft). But that will take time, I'm not on Arora currently.

Better do other stuff.

Aora is fine and usable.

(YGOPro needs work more urgent  ;) )

I was able to get https working without warnings, for Dillo, by including ca-certs from Debian in the PND.

I'd be happy to help the maintainer for this Arora browser to do similar - ED tells me it also gives unneeded warnings with https.

So, I've spend a few hours in this browser. The new build 05 has a few new features:

v0.11.0.05
--------------

• Made Adblock disabled by default
  • Faster start when Adblock is disabled (I hope I didn't broke it)
  • New option, in Option|Apparence to have FullScreen without toolbars (just Tabs are visible)
  • Added certificates. You can add more if you want/need (in appdata/arora/home/certs)
  • Higher def icons (60x60 now).
  • Some more works on Flash, but still not enough
  • Recompile everything with more agressive optimizations

You should have faster start if you have Addblock disabled. For this, I used some dirty hack, because even disabled, all rules are loaded and tested. So I've made them not loaded if disable. I hope it don't break too much the enabled Adblock.

I also made a "superFulscreen". But the Tabs are still here. There is no code in the current Arora to hide Tabs, so I'm not sure it is doable easily.

About Zoom level to stick, the Zoom level is Per Tabs, there is no global value for Zoom. The only way to have Zoom level to be remeber between session will be to implement global Zoomlevel. I haven't done that, it's a few hour more work I guess (I'm not very fluant in Qt).

I added some certificates, so less certificate errors should popup. You can add more if you put them (must be "pem" format, with *.cer name) inside "appdata/arora/home/certs"

I tried, again, to have Flash working. It looks it load the plugin, but fail anyway... I have to look inside QtWebKit, so I'll do that another time.

Here is the diff for those interested: arora.zip

Enjoy this new release.

Attachments

• arora.zip
    2.9 KB · Views: 177
The big browser competition goes on.

Arora also entered the next level.   ;)

Fullscren is fine now.

Is it possible to disable the numbers and letters CTRL shows?

Hum, that's a another option to setup in aperance I guess, if I can understand how tis thing (the CTRL tip) works... I will look at it somtimes.

Please retest your "dirty hacks", for me, the browser produces tons of script errors on sites with adds, at least when adblock is disabled (example: gamestar.de ) I really would like to just enable addblock and use it without problems,  I wonder why this broswer can't handle a simple addblock tool  without speed issues.

When adblock is disable, the rules are not loaded, so it shouldn't have an impact, but I may be wrong.

Can you either give the url of the offending site or test with previous version to confirm it's a regression.

About why it is slow on start, this is why:

void AdBlockManager::load()
{
#if defined(ADBLOCKMANAGER_DEBUG)
    qDebug() << "AdBlockManager::" << __FUNCTION__ << m_loaded;
#endif

if (m_loaded)
        return;
    m_loaded = true;

QSettings settings;
    settings.beginGroup(QLatin1String("AdBlock"));
    m_enabled = settings.value(QLatin1String("enabled"), m_enabled).toBool();
   // New part to accelerate, don't load if not enabled
    if (!m_enabled) {
        m_loaded = false;
        return;
    }
    // end of new part

QStringList defaultSubscriptions;
    defaultSubscriptions.append(QString::fromUtf8(customSubscriptionUrl().toEncoded()));
    defaultSubscriptions.append(QLatin1String("abp:subscribe?location=http://adblockplus.mozdev.org/easylist/easylist.txt&title=EasyList"));

QStringList subscriptions = settings.value(QLatin1String("subscriptions"), defaultSubscriptions).toStringList();
    foreach (const QString &subscription, subscriptions) {
        QUrl url = QUrl::fromEncoded(subscription.toUtf8());
        AdBlockSubscription *adBlockSubscription = new AdBlockSubscription(url, this);
        connect(adBlockSubscription, SIGNAL(rulesChanged()), this, SIGNAL(rulesChanged()));
        connect(adBlockSubscription, SIGNAL(changed()), this, SIGNAL(rulesChanged()));
        m_subscriptions.append(adBlockSubscription);
    }
}

There is more, but that's the main reason and a big part of the dirty hack (there is more, check the diff).

Small maintenance update. Cleaned up a bit the dirty hack. It's still dirty, but a bit less ;)

Still no luck with flash (tried to play the PPSSPP video of Ingoreis, but I just get "This video is not available", but it is available). :(

v0.11.0.06
--------------

• Corrected the dirty hack in Adblock so it can be re-enabled once disabled (and vice-versa).
  • Added lastest libflashplayer, but doesn't seems to works

The update did it. It works great here, fast and smooth. Nice work! :D

Another update, trying to fix some things that are still wrong.

v0.11.0.07
--------------

• Corrected fileassociation so filename containing space can be launched.
  • Another attempt to fix SSL Certificate warning.

Back