Release Arora - Web Browser

About the pictures not showing, I think I have found the problem... I'll do some more test and some "lsof" analysis, and should upload a build 03 soon. About the speed problem, I am clueless for now. Maybe the default cache (50Mo) is too big or too little? Try changing this value (like a big change, to clearly see if it has an effect: 5Mo or 200Mo).
Also, you can try to deactivate "Adblock" plugin.

Pictures work fine but I still have the lag issue. No issue what to do next. I erased the data that was in the NAND.
Did you tried to deactivating "Adblock" plugin (in the "Outils" menu IIRC)?

Last edited by a moderator:
I also lost some of the speed Arora had in the beginning  :huh:  

It seems disabling AdBlock speeds up things quite a bit for me. Back to how it was in the beginning maybe, but there I had the same speed with it enabled ... changing the cache size does not help.

The Adblock is a strange component. At the beginning, I notice many network error, and so basicaly it was inactive. Than later, I have sow other error, quite differents, with forbidden access or 404 not found, I can't remember. Anyway, Adblock, when active, fetch some files from the Internet at launch, so it may be the cause of some slowness. 

The Adblock is a strange component. At the beginning, I notice many network error, and so basicaly it was inactive. Than later, I have sow other error, quite differents, with forbidden access or 404 not found, I can't remember. Anyway, Adblock, when active, fetch some files from the Internet at launch, so it may be the cause of some slowness. 
I confirm that disabling adwork fixed the slowliness issue for me! Finally.

Yeah, Adblock can be quite some slowdown - every time you load some website it has to go through all of its Blacklist, which is usually huge. Other Addons might be much faster, for example Noscript (FF-based) with its reverse attempt (Whitelist instead of Blacklist, targeting JS etc) or Ghostery (which generally uses a much smaller Blacklist, but does not cover all Ad servers as the target is something different, yet the big players are all covered). Whether any of these can be used with Arora is another question, though.

Yes, the git has not seen an update for some time :( It is sad, as it works quite well (flash is still an issue, I have to find something here, I took a look at the free alternative -gnash and lightsparks-, but that's heavy stuff, full of dependencies, and I'm not even sure it works on ARM).

It should, but I can't get it to work. And without any log or error message to see what's failling, it's quite hard to find out...

I see.

Don't waste too much time.

Would be a nice feature as Arora saves RAM compared to Fire Fox but I can live without.

So, I modified the PXML mainly to add File Associations on this PND.

I used the same associations than the one defined in the ".desktop" file.

They are:

<associations>
 <association name="Open an HTML file" filetype="text/html" /> 
 <association name="Open an XML file" filetype="text/xml" />
 <association name="Open an XHTML file" filetype="application/xhtml+xml" />
 <association name="Open an XML file" filetype="application/xml" />
 <association name="Open an GIF file" filetype="image/gif" />
 <association name="Open an JPEG file" filetype="image/jpeg" />
 <association name="Open an PNG file" filetype="image/png" />
</associations>
I tested a bit. Looks it works the first time, but not sure it works the 2nd time in a row. I got some problems with the mount of the PND.

v0.11.0.04

-------------

• Added File Association for Firmware 1.54+.

It may not be so important, but can you provide an icon in higher resolution please? The current one looks ugly on desktop. :D

Dont no why, but Arora is useless for me. It take ages to start or to load any site. :unsure:

Disable Adblock and changing the cache size does not help.

My Openpandora runs at 800Mhz and with 256MB Ram.

Ekianjo noticed that disabling Adblock may not be suffisant. He also emptied the list of Adblock and then disabled it,  to have fast start speed.

Is there any way to optimize the browser so that it's working good enough with Adblock enabled?

Back