Artist For Pmenu Skins Wanted

B-ZaR said:
Trevsweb said:
What does your "uname -a" say? That looks like you might've got the wrong arch.

trevor@trevor-desktop:~/Desktop/release$ uname -a
Linux trevor-desktop 2.6.31-15-generic #50-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 10 14:53:52 UTC 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux

@Slash it appears in the dir so i assume it is

I'm not exactly sure here, but wouldn't your arch require a 64bit build or ia32 libs?
No, you can run i386-i686 binaries on x86_64 without issues (you need the 32-bit libraries but it won't result in a file not found if they're missing). The problem here is related to access rights and the file system layout.

Last edited by a moderator:
i installed the ia32 libs and got a stage further

trevor@trevor-desktop:~/release$ ./run.sh
./pmenu: error while loading shared libraries: libtiff.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
trevor@trevor-desktop:~/release$

sadly doing the suggested stuff earlier in this forum about this problem doesn't seam to work :S think i might drag up the old computer and see if i can do the virtualbox on there
trevor@trevor-desktop:~/release$ ldd pmenu
linux-gate.so.1 => (0xf77ca000)
libSDL-1.2.so.0 => /usr/lib32/libSDL-1.2.so.0 (0xf7717000)
libSDL_image-1.2.so.0 => /usr/lib32/libSDL_image-1.2.so.0 (0xf76fa000)
libSDL_ttf-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib32/libSDL_ttf-2.0.so.0 (0xf76f2000)
libfreetype.so.6 => /usr/lib32/libfreetype.so.6 (0xf7673000)
libGLES_CM.so => not found
libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib32/libstdc++.so.6 (0xf7581000)
libgcc_s.so.1 => /usr/lib32/libgcc_s.so.1 (0xf7563000)
libc.so.6 => /lib32/libc.so.6 (0xf741e000)
libm.so.6 => /lib32/libm.so.6 (0xf73f8000)
libX11.so.6 => /usr/lib32/libX11.so.6 (0xf72c9000)
libasound.so.2 => /usr/lib32/libasound.so.2 (0xf7201000)
libdl.so.2 => /lib32/libdl.so.2 (0xf71fd000)
libdirectfb-1.2.so.0 => /usr/lib32/libdirectfb-1.2.so.0 (0xf7183000)
libfusion-1.2.so.0 => /usr/lib32/libfusion-1.2.so.0 (0xf7178000)
libdirect-1.2.so.0 => /usr/lib32/libdirect-1.2.so.0 (0xf7160000)
libpthread.so.0 => /lib32/libpthread.so.0 (0xf7147000)
libpng12.so.0 => /usr/lib32/libpng12.so.0 (0xf711f000)
libjpeg.so.62 => /usr/lib32/libjpeg.so.62 (0xf70fb000)
libtiff.so.4 => /usr/lib32/libtiff.so.4 (0xf70a1000)
libz.so.1 => /usr/lib32/libz.so.1 (0xf708b000)
/lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xf77cb000)
libxcb.so.1 => /usr/lib32/libxcb.so.1 (0xf706d000)
librt.so.1 => /lib32/librt.so.1 (0xf7064000)
libXau.so.6 => /usr/lib32/libXau.so.6 (0xf7060000)
libXdmcp.so.6 => /usr/lib32/libXdmcp.so.6 (0xf705a000)

wonder if virtualbox isnt working right... with my graphics card?

Cpasjuste said:
For people that had pmenu working, what are you using ? Virtual box, vmware, native ?

I had vmware with Ubuntu 9.10 Desktop but after installing the updates to get pmenu to work and a reboot my VM wouldn`t start.
Further research showed that vmware isn`t patched to work with latest Ubuntu version.

So running off of a native Xubuntu laptop and works ok.
Just about to try the latest pMenu version.. :)

Ok thanks for reports :)
It's strange, i wanted to make a tutorial with virtual box and ubuntu karmic (9.10 too?) and can't get it to work too :D
It just exit immediately .. trying again.

Ok, got it to work, under virtual box and ubuntu 9.10 :

Open a terminal and type :

Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

should ask to reboot now ... reboot then open a terminal again :

Code:
sudo apt-get install libsdl-image1.2 libsdl-ttf2.0-0 -y
sudo apt-get install libglut3-dev -y
sudo apt-get install libglew-dev -y
sudo apt-get install glew-utils -y
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libtiff.so.4 /usr/lib/libtiff.so.3
wget http://mydedibox.fr/_stuff/pandora/pmenu_i386_20091126.zip
unzip pmenu_i386_20091126.zip
cd release
./run.sh

brickabrack.png

Click for skin download. Not adapted to the new version yet. The keming problem I was talking about is what's making the characters mashed together in some places.

atomicthumbs said:
Click for skin download. Not adapted to the new version yet. The keming problem I was talking about is what's making the characters mashed together in some places.

Yeah, i have a little problem with character X coordinates, i'll try to fix that soon.
Else i may open an ftp for people to upload their skins, will be easier for me, else i may miss some :)

Bug report: If I change the small font size in applications, the scrolling text does not respect application box width. This may or may not be related to the x coordinate problems you mentioned.

Looks like I had the time to update my skin after all.

Linky

EDIT: clarification

Wohoo, thanks for the update Cpasjuste :)

Updated my 2 skins:

Download: Platinum Skin
jude7o.png

Just minor tweaks for this one:

Download: Glass Skin
1z20hf4.png

Hey MDave, do you think you could make a version of your Platinum theme with the left and right sides switched? (List on the left, everything else on the right.) Also, maybe putting the preview image in the middle (categories on top, settings+info below)? It feels kinda awkward having the list on the right. Not sure why.

P.S.: Platinum's great. Positioning of GUI elements aside, I'm still considering it for my default skin.

SlashEMc2k said:
Just in time for my next skin::
http://www.bluestudios.co.uk/pmenu_console_slick.jpg

This without the Xbox logos and possibly in some blue (maybe try to make the pandora text glow blue in some animated style? how about some sort of pre-rendered 3D animation until pmenu supports 3D?) in there.. awesome!

I thought along those lines for the blue, excuse my poor skills:

pmenuconsoleslickblue.jpg

Vorporeal said:
Hey MDave, do you think you could make a version of your Platinum theme with the left and right sides switched? (List on the left, everything else on the right.) Also, maybe putting the preview image in the middle (categories on top, settings+info below)? It feels kinda awkward having the list on the right. Not sure why.

P.S.: Platinum's great. Positioning of GUI elements aside, I'm still considering it for my default skin.

Here you go ;) I also updated the download link. Just rename the skin_flipped.cfg to skin.cfg and backup the original one to get the flipped skin :)

14kxt01.png

I can't get the new version to work!

I'm running Ubuntu 8.10 (installed on partition, no VM), and could run the previous version (20091122 release) after following Cpasjuste's instructions. I downloaded the new version, and in just ran it hoping for the best, but it came up with some error messages (I forget what).

I went back and followed the new instructions (it did lots of updates with the apt-get bits, so I'm not sure if I was running 8.10 before), and I now get nothing.

If I type ./run.sh, I just get a new command prompt on the next line, no feed back text at all.

I tried re-downloading the program, and re-booting (again) but it still doesn't seem to work.

Do I need to upgrade to 9.1? (it looks a bit of a long process!)

Also, as I don't want to sound too much like I'm moaning, I would like to say THANKS FOR THE UPDATE Cpasjuste!!! (and of course for letting us skin your software in the first place), it's nice to see you taking suggestions on board!

Once I get it running, and if the weird font positioning problem can be solved, the only other thing I would like to see added would be a way of putting a design behind the unselected games. To get something like my original mock-up, or SlashEMc2k's most recent design (nice skin by the way!), you would need to include the outlines of the unselected games built into the background graphic, but it would look weird on the Setting screen with text running over where the games would be.

I suppose you could either have a background graphic for each game, or you could have a background graphic for the Applications box in Settings that would cover the button outlines built into the main background. If either of those would be possible, I think we could make our designs look a little bit nicer, although there's already some good designs without it, so it's not a big problem!

Thanks.

monkeyo2 said:
I can't get the new version to work!

I'm running Ubuntu 8.10 (installed on partition, no VM), and could run the previous version (20091122 release) after following Cpasjuste's instructions. I downloaded the new version, and in just ran it hoping for the best, but it came up with some error messages (I forget what).

I went back and followed the new instructions (it did lots of updates with the apt-get bits, so I'm not sure if I was running 8.10 before), and I now get nothing.

If I type ./run.sh, I just get a new command prompt on the next line, no feed back text at all.

I tried re-downloading the program, and re-booting (again) but it still doesn't seem to work.

Do I need to upgrade to 9.1? (it looks a bit of a long process!)

Also, as I don't want to sound too much like I'm moaning, I would like to say THANKS FOR THE UPDATE Cpasjuste!!! (and of course for letting us skin your software in the first place), it's nice to see you taking suggestions on board!

Once I get it running, and if the weird font positioning problem can be solved, the only other thing I would like to see added would be a way of putting a design behind the unselected games. To get something like my original mock-up, or SlashEMc2k's most recent design (nice skin by the way!), you would need to include the outlines of the unselected games built into the background graphic, but it would look weird on the Setting screen with text running over where the games would be.

I suppose you could either have a background graphic for each game, or you could have a background graphic for the Applications box in Settings that would cover the button outlines built into the main background. If either of those would be possible, I think we could make our designs look a little bit nicer, although there's already some good designs without it, so it's not a big problem!

Thanks.

Crap ! The errors messages was probably just due to new items added to the skin.cfg file ? Now i really don't know what could be the problem :/

Cpasjuste: How about different layouts in one design by having multiple gui.cfg? Possibly one to import all layouts or by specifying them directly. That way you could just share common graphics and flip left/right, up/down etc easily and give the user more control over the design. Each design only would have to support atleast one layout (the first would be the default).

Cpasjuste said:
monkeyo2 said:

Crap ! The errors messages was probably just due to new items added to the skin.cfg file ? Now i really don't know what could be the problem :/
I have had this problem for ever, and *still* have it.

Back