Artist For Pmenu Skins Wanted

Cpasjuste said:
Hehe great B-ZaR, just tried it. It's actually pretty good :)
Thanks :) I know it's kinda simple and quick, but I couldn't spare more time right now. But hey, given the time I invested, I think its pretty good too :D! Maybe I'll give it a makeover after I've finished my master's thesis :p

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the update. got it working FINALLY lol re-downloaded ubuntu 32bit version running off virtual box working perfectly. thanks :D final skin due soon
one program request.. shouldnt alter the skins. but can you swap the layers of the applications box and the preview image... might impliment it into my next skin...
PM'd that suggestion as read above ;)

I downloaded this today just for the heck of it.

A lot of people seem to have gotten this error even though they have created the /usr/lib/libtiff.so.3 symlink.:
Code:
./pmenu: error while loading shared libraries: libtiff.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
I found that with 64bit ubuntu, you actually have to make that file in /usr/lib32.
So when following the instructions this line:
Code:
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libtiff.so.4 /usr/lib/libtiff.so.3
should be replaced with this one:
Code:
sudo ln -s /usr/lib32/libtiff.so.4 /usr/lib32/libtiff.so.3

Having done this I can get it to bring up pmenu and the pvrvframe but it won't let me interact with pmenu at all. The terminal says that libGLES_CM.so and libEGL.so couldn't be preloaded. To quote it exactly:
Code:
Profile Chosen: MBX_VGP
ERROR: ld.so: object './libs/libGLES_CM.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object './libs/libEGL.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object './libs/libGLES_CM.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object './libs/libEGL.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
Xlib:  extension "XFree86-Misc" missing on display ":0.0".
does this file need to be compiled for 64bit operating systems? I guess it doesn't really matter because I can always run 32bit linux from virtualBox, but i just thought i'd mention that problem

Cpasjuste: I agree with the others to thank you for the freeze, can't wait to get home to finish working on that!

Also, does anyone knows a good free Helvetica equivalent like Vera or FreeSans that contains more different weights than regular and bold? like a light or thin and heavy or black ? I guess it's rare but maybe it exists somewhere?

161z6sh.jpg

Working on this!

I've uploaded my skin, and I called it DarkMonkeyo, which the best thing I could think of at the moment, although I don't think it's a very good name. (I'm more of a visual person than a naming things person; any better suggestions would be appreciated! I'll try and come up with something else).

I stuck with VeraBd for the big font, as it doesn't seem to suffer from the weird placement thing as much as the other fonts I tried at that size, and I used FreeSans for everything else; I'm pretty sure they're both all cool licensing wise.

Here's some screen shots:

darkmonkeyoskin02.jpg

darkmonkeyoskin01.jpg

darkmonkeyoskin03.jpg

darkmonkeyoskin04.jpg

I've switched to using PNGs for everything, although I'm still not sure what favourites_icon_highlight.bmp is for, so I left that in the ZIP.

(naw)mcx said:
2dhfa7t.jpg

Thanks for the kind words, Tripmonkey!
Awesome, very clean. Reminds me of those old slate UIs (which devices had those again? I can't remember).

The buttons might look better if they are packed together on one side instead of evenly distributed, but it might look great as is depending on how you create the tab highlights.

(naw)mcx said:
Thanks Tripmonkey, change has been put in place.

Now I pose you all with a question. What looks better. The normal version. Or the version with yellow tinted stuff?
No probs.

Can't tell I'm afraid. White on my laptop tends to look a little yellow anyway.
I would hazard a guess though and say that the icons would look better if they were less grey.
That help at all? :blink:

Tripmonkey_uk said:
(naw)mcx said:
Thanks Tripmonkey, change has been put in place.

Now I pose you all with a question. What looks better. The normal version. Or the version with yellow tinted stuff?
No probs.

Can't tell I'm afraid. White on my laptop tends to look a little yellow anyway.
I would hazard a guess though and say that the icons would look better if they were less grey.
That help at all? :blink:

Haha, it does a bit.

I had this problem with my friend, I kinda forgot he was colour blind :p

IMHO, the white version looks better.

A little suggestion. Spacing does a lot for a good experience. I mean, the kind of flower that is selected on top does not have enough vertical space in relation to the top bar. I believe you should shrink it so it has the same vertical spacing as the rest of toolbar icons.

Anyway, the skin looks pretty beautiful. I'm sure it will be a favorite of mine. :)

MCX; yellow tint is warmer but the whiter one the colors fit better. I love its simplicity btw :)

Cpasjuste: you might know already but .. you might want to add a sleep(1) or something in your main render loop, I just noticed it takes all my CPU just to refresh a clock, and i'm sure ppl would appreciate if an app launcher didn't eat all the batteries ;)

after some more work, i updated the skin to fit the new version :) I also tried to find a suitable font but they all seem very deformed when displayed in pMenu :(
Both Free, Nimbus or Liberation. In the pic i'm using Liberation, it's the less messy of them.
66384811.png

monkeyo2 said:
I've uploaded my skin, and I called it DarkMonkeyo, which the best thing I could think of at the moment, although I don't think it's a very good name. (I'm more of a visual person than a naming things person; any better suggestions would be appreciated! I'll try and come up with something else).

I stuck with VeraBd for the big font, as it doesn't seem to suffer from the weird placement thing as much as the other fonts I tried at that size, and I used FreeSans for everything else; I'm pretty sure they're both all cool licensing wise.
I don't think someone evil guy "out there" will ever find our Pandora and check, what Fonts we use. :lol: Nobody cares about fonts right?
I like the black skin, I hope it will also look good onto the real Pandora Screen. One thing: maybe you can try to make the A and B Button icons in the confirm window more visible, black over black is not the best contrast. Maybe the background could be lighter or maybe the buttons could wo you always can see clearly which Buttons you have in choice. :)

Back