Artist For Pmenu Skins Wanted

(naw)mcx said:
like this, dflemstr?
Actually, if you do it like that, I think that I would prefer something like this (sorry for the horrible Paint cut+paste skills):
2h3a8ea.jpg

This is only personal preference of course, but I might defend my irrationalities with that it's easier to touch-navigate the tabs if they aren't so distant from one another.

Oh well, do what you think looks best!

Last edited by a moderator:
Uploaded my Platinum skin to the ftp :)

I made a media icon, and a proper application highlight image too. Also, I make the background go darker when you go to view media / settings, kind of like a movie mode by 'dimming the lights' ;)

6tdbhd.png

Not sure if I should carry on working on my Glass theme though, seems to be not very popular :p Should I carry on with it?

(naw)mcx said:
What's best?
(I like the top one best, but hopefully, I'm not going to be the only one using it!)
Also MDave, that silver skin is pretty awesome, not such a fan of the other one, tbh :/
Top one. Looks cleaner :)

@MDave - Glass skins nice but it's your choice at the end of the day. You can always keep the files and update them later on if you get enough requests for it.

(naw)mcx said:
2mewrkn.jpg

What's best?
(I like the top one best, but hopefully, I'm not going to be the only one using it!)
Also MDave, that silver skin is pretty awesome, not such a fan of the other one, tbh :/
I vote for the top one - the background highlight looks OK if you have that many icons.

The rule of thumb that I'm using to make my comments is that if I split up the bar into equally large rectangles, the highlight should be as large as one of those rectangles; I think that that would look best. No golden-ratio-mumbo jumbo here!

dflemstr said:
(naw)mcx said:
What's best?
I vote for the top one - the background highlight looks OK if you have that many icons.

The rule of thumb that I'm using to make my comments is that if I split up the bar into equally large rectangles, the highlight should be as large as one of those rectangles; I think that that would look best. No golden-ratio-mumbo jumbo here!

I'm getting all the spacing fixed up now, thanks for the help guys :)

(talking about help, any one want to help me get this working on the actual pmenu? :) )

edit: finished, now I just need it to actually work :p

vesqp0.jpg

Here is a small contribution.
I still have to modify the background, especially the bottom part, it's too white, and fine tune the positions of some of the icoons.
By the way, is it possible to set the position for the text that appears beneath the emulators, games, etc icons???

2sb8we9.png

(naw)mcx said:
dflemstr said:
(naw)mcx said:
What's best?

(talking about help, any one want to help me get this working on the actual pmenu? :) )

<image>

I have to say I like your skin the most and I am really looking forward to using it (all of the others are great, too of course).
But, I dislike the flare over the selected icon, which you added in this last change. Imo, it does not fit into the rest of the skin as you never use flares there and I liked the "only-gradients" version more.

foxblock out

foxblock said:
(naw)mcx said:
dflemstr said:
(naw)mcx said:
What's best?

<image>

I have to say I like your skin the most and I am really looking forward to using it (all of the others are great, too of course).
But, I dislike the flare over the selected icon, which you added in this last change. Imo, it does not fit into the rest of the skin as you never use flares there and I liked the "only-gradients" version more.

foxblock out
And just like that, it's gone :)

Thanks for all the feedback guys, it's awesome to know my stuff is liked!

EDIT: Any one want to help me fix this

./run/sh: line 2: ./pmenu: No such file or directory

It keeps coming up. Doing what it says on the first post, ubuntu 9.10. All the files are there..

I've made and uploaded a new skin trying out some ideas I had whilst making the first one. I called it Tungsten, as it looks a bit metallic, plus names of elements seem to work quite well for this sort of thing, and that one doesn't seem to have been used by too many other things!

pandoraskin09.png

pandoraskin07.png

pandoraskin08.png

I looked at my previous design on my N8oo, and I was worried that everything was a bit too small; I could read it O.K., but it wasn't really clear. And I also noticed the sizes of the graphics could be adjusted, so I thought I would try a few things out.

I've made the preview window bigger; it's now 400 x 240px, taking up a quarter of the screen. It works fine on the game preview images, but not on the skin previews, so I don't know if this will be allowed.

The text is still a bit wobbly (g, p and y (probably q too) always look a bit out) but hopefully that can be sorted, but the text sits a bit too high on the game buttons, so unless there's a way of adding some padding above the text, I may have to rethink this design as it looks a bit weird at the moment.

I went for games on the right, and categories along the bottom to make touch navigation more natural, although I'm not sure if thit will work. I would imagine that most people loading games on PMenu will be using the D-Pad and buttons, so this probably isn't really that much of a problem anyway.

Comments welcome!

xadow said:
Here is a small contribution.
I still have to modify the background, especially the bottom part, it's too white, and fine tune the positions of some of the icoons.
By the way, is it possible to set the position for the text that appears beneath the emulators, games, etc icons???

http://i50.tinypic.com/2sb8we9.png

You might want to display A and B for the yes / no options. You symbols ruin the purpose

I've had no luck getting this to run on my box (Via EN12000).
Freshly installed Ubuntu (karmic) and followed the Virtual Box instructions.

Code:
$ ./run.sh 
Profile Chosen: MBX_VGP
Xlib:  extension "XFree86-Misc" missing on display ":0.0".
FUNC_START: cfg_gui_read():config_skin.c:13
{
}
FUNC_END: cfg_gui_read():config_skin.c:1502

FUNC_START: pnd_app_get_list():get_apps.c:31
{
   INFO: Apps searchpath is '/media/mmcblk?/pandora/apps:./sd1/pandora/apps:./sd2/pandora/apps'
   INFO: Apps overrides searchpath is '~/pxml-overrides:./testdata/apps-override'
   INFO: Locating pnd run in /mnt/sd?/pandora/scripts:./testdata/scripts
   INFO: Locating pnd runscript as pnd_run.sh
   INFO: Default pndrun is ./testdata/scripts/pnd_run.sh
   INFO: [0] -> Category: games
 <snip>
   INFO: [8] -> icon: ./sd1/pandora/apps/powermanga/powermanga.png
}
FUNC_END: pnd_app_get_list():get_apps.c:324

FUNC_START: _cfg_fav_read():config_favourite.c:31
{
   INFO: Favorite configuration file do not exist, skipping ( ./sd2/pandora/pmenu/favorites.cfg )
}
FUNC_END: _cfg_fav_read():config_favourite.c:36

FUNC_START: _cfg_fav_read():config_favourite.c:31
{
   INFO: Favorite configuration file do not exist, skipping ( ./sd1/pandora/pmenu/favorites.cfg )
}
FUNC_END: _cfg_fav_read():config_favourite.c:36

FUNC_START: gui_load():main.c:754
{
   FUNC_START: cfg_gui_read():config_skin.c:13
   {
   }
   FUNC_END: cfg_gui_read():config_skin.c:1502

FUNC_START: gui_load_skin():main.c:461
   {
      ERROR: Could not load font (skins/NewSkin/big.ttf) ( main.c:677 )
   }
   FUNC_END: gui_load_skin():main.c:678

FUNC_START: gui_load_icon():main.c:173
   {
   }
   FUNC_END: gui_load_icon():main.c:194

sh: cannot create /proc/pandora/cpu_mhz_max: Directory nonexistent
}
FUNC_END: gui_load():main.c:772

./run.sh: line 2:  1794 Segmentation fault      LD_PRELOAD="./libs/libGLES_CM.so ./libs/libEGL.so" ./pmenu

A window is briefly brought into existence but soon disappears. Any ideas?

Cpas, can you please fix the "favorites applications" typo? It's killing me. :p

Ideally: favourite applications

American spelling also acceptable: favorite applications

Sugestion: call Cold Storage to make some interface sounds for pmenu (since it seems the OP Team is too busy to pay proper respect) =]

^^ Agreed. The only issue is that it would be easy to forget which "block" is which category. Maybe adding a letter on each one would help ("G" for Games, "M" for Media, "S" for Settings, etc).

Back