Artist For Pmenu Skins Wanted

only just found this thread.. what exactly IS Pmenu? is it going to be the main interface for the Pandora? because I thought the pandora was going to have a sort of 'desktop' like interface with icons and a start menu and stuff like that.

would be interested in having a try and making my own skin anyway, is there a template one somewhere?

thanks

Paradox said:
only just found this thread.. what exactly IS Pmenu? is it going to be the main interface for the Pandora? because I thought the pandora was going to have a sort of 'desktop' like interface with icons and a start menu and stuff like that.

would be interested in having a try and making my own skin anyway, is there a template one somewhere?

thanks

The Pandora will have 2 options available for it's main interface. Pmenu is a simple single tasking interface for launching framebuffer based applications, games, and emulators. There will also be X11 + XFCE for full windowed multitasking. They both are installed by default, and going to be very easy to switch between.

Last edited by a moderator:
is pmenu a custom interface / UI thing made solely for the pandora or is it something adapted from someplace else?

68tri1.png

IF ANY ONE WANTS TO HELP ME GET PMENU WORKING SO I CAN MAKE THESE SKINS, PM ME, PLEASE!

Okay, I was working on a new skin and here's a list of bugs that I've encountered. Some of these have been brought up before, but I hope to see them fixed so I can be a happy panda.

• The small font in the application list does not honor the highlight color when selected.
  • The icons in the application list start out at the default 32px, even when you specify a different max or min size in the skin.cfg
  • Because of bug 2 - You can't specify a icon size of 0 (no icons in app list) because on first load the list displays an icon on the first entry anyways.
  • The media list runs off the right side - it does not honor the width specified for the application list.
  • The skin preview image does not honor the maximum width for the preview area. It does not scale to match the area requested. If you make the preview area any smaller or larger than the default, the skin preview image does not look right at all.
  • The confirm box's confirm_box_x and confirm_box_y attributes are ambiguous. Do they specify the height and width of the confirm box area? Or do they specify the position the confirm box should center on? Either way, they don't appear to affect anything.

Not really a bugs, but featurettes that I hope to see soon:
  • The confirm box should have it's own font settings, or at the very least it's own color.
  • If bug 6 specifies height and width. The confirm box should be placeable. I can fudge it by adding blank pixels to the margins, but this is less than ideal.

That's all I've run into recently. Thanks!

mindlord said:
Okay, I was working on a new skin and here's a list of bugs that I've encountered. Some of these have been brought up before, but I hope to see them fixed so I can be a happy panda.

• The small font in the application list does not honor the highlight color when selected.
  • The icons in the application list start out at the default 32px, even when you specify a different max or min size in the skin.cfg
  • Because of bug 2 - You can't specify a icon size of 0 (no icons in app list) because on first load the list displays an icon on the first entry anyways.
  • The media list runs off the right side - it does not honor the width specified for the application list.
  • The skin preview image does not honor the maximum width for the preview area. It does not scale to match the area requested. If you make the preview area any smaller or larger than the default, the skin preview image does not look right at all.
  • The confirm box's confirm_box_x and confirm_box_y attributes are ambiguous. Do they specify the height and width of the confirm box area? Or do they specify the position the confirm box should center on? Either way, they don't appear to affect anything.

• The confirm box should have it's own font settings, or at the very least it's own color.
  • If bug 6 specifies height and width. The confirm box should be placeable. I can fudge it by adding blank pixels to the margins, but this is less than ideal.

More bugs/missing features.

These aren't critical, but need to be fixed sooner or later because they reduce the menu experience drastically.

• The PND loader does not respect the standard; the categories are read incorrectly.
  • The dialog says "to your favorites applications" instead of "to your favorite applications"
  • There's no way to specify the text margin for the dialog box
  • There's no indicator in the applications menu for that there are more entries if you scroll down
  • You cannot use a mouse/touchscreen.
  • Fonts aren't aligned properly; glyphs tend to overlap and look misplaced.
  • The scrolling text under applications scrolls once and then disappears
  • The scrolling text under applications has a visual glitch when glyphs leave to the left: they disappear one glyph at a time instead of linearly fading away.
  • Animations are sequential which makes the UI look and feel slow
  • Things that should fade do instead disappear/reappear instantly e.g. when you go down in the applications menu, the selector moves to the new application instantly. Same for categories.
  • The PND loader does not respect the standard

It's imperfect, namely because of the bugs mentioned above. I'd really like to have no application icons at all on this one, and I'd like to have the dialog box appear exactly where the previews appear, but alas.

I present to you - Wirejunkie - modders desk on steroids.

wirejunkie_v001.bmp

Download here.

Adulation and Jeers always welcome.

dflemstr said:
mindlord said:

These aren't critical, but need to be fixed sooner or later because they reduce the menu experience drastically.

• The PND loader does not respect the standard; the categories are read incorrectly.
  • The dialog says "to your favorites applications" instead of "to your favorite applications"
  • There's no indicator in the applications menu for that there are more entries if you scroll down
  • The scrolling text under applications has a visual glitch when glyphs leave to the left: they disappear one glyph at a time instead of linearly fading away.
  • Things that should fade do instead disappear/reappear instantly e.g. when you go down in the applications menu, the selector moves to the new application instantly. Same for categories.
Wow, alot of bugs for such a matured Project. I can't test it so please could someone check, if the Menu can display special characters like german Umlauts (ÄÖÜ) correctly? For People that want to see a german description Text or setting the entire Menu into another Language. :)

mindlord said:
I present to you - Wirejunkie - modders desk on steroids.
Looks very good and professional, the right Skin for MWeston I think. :lol:
Did you done this entirely by hand? Especialy the Wires.

fusion_power said:
Looks very good and professional, the right Skin for MWeston I think. :lol:
Did you done this entirely by hand? Especialy the Wires.

Sure seemed like it, but not entirely by hand. There's quite a bit of photoshop magic going on in there. but most of the traces and fiddly bits were done a pixel at a time. It was tedious. I don't think I'll be making a cicuit based theme again anytime soon. :)

fusion_power said:
dflemstr said:
mindlord said:

Wow, alot of bugs for such a matured Project. I can't test it so please could someone check, if the Menu can display special characters like german Umlauts (ÄÖÜ) correctly? For People that want to see a german description Text or setting the entire Menu into another Language. :)
Nein, Umlaute scheinen überhaupt nicht zu funktionieren. Ich kriege nicht mal eine Mitteilung auf der Konsole wenn ich eine PND lade, die Umlaute in ihre Beschreibung hat. Ich weiß aber nicht ob das an mein Font liegt oder ob es ein Fehler in PMenu ist.

@Cpasjuste:
  • Umlauts in descriptions seem to not work (needs testing)

dflemstr said:
My PMenu skin.

I call it Colors.

Download.

Also, Cpasjuste, your program has a lot of bugs and visual glitches, and I'd be happy to report them to you and patch them.

Really nice, but I think the stuff in bottom-left is too crammed and doesn't fit the rest of the style... Maybe if you put the clock on the right and made the size information smaller and more spread out it would be better.

OK thanks for the feedback guys...
Does this look better? (I can rearrange the bottom widgets if you think it looks better but I prefer to have the clock where it is, because PMenu can't right-align text so the clock would clip outside of the screen if it was to the right)

previewqb.png

dflemstr said:
Nein, Umlaute scheinen überhaupt nicht zu funktionieren. Ich kriege nicht mal eine Mitteilung auf der Konsole wenn ich eine PND lade, die Umlaute in ihre Beschreibung hat. Ich weiß aber nicht ob das an mein Font liegt oder ob es ein Fehler in PMenu ist.
Hach, an uns denkt mal wieder keine Sau. :D Zumindest das .PND Format sollte Sonderzeichen aber hinbekommen, hoff ich mal.

(naw)mcx said:
Thanks to all the guys who offered me help and helped me, you're all awesome :)
(dflemstr, tripmonkey_uk, trevsweb)

2gwdytu.png

First peak at it actually running in pmenu

font could use some work

Back