Gmenu2x V0.9 Released

Ryo said:
Part of the problem is caused by a missing mount option "shortname=winnt" that makes fat partitions more "case" friendly. I hope it will be taken into consideration in open2x.

The font is actually bitmapped so that it can contain that nice border that improves readability.
I'm considering a couple of possibilities...
I tried renaming the directories but it didn't work. Yeah the irony is that even if it is fixed in open2x, open 2x uses a PSP menu clone. I won't install open2X until it supports Gmenu2X :p

Yeah the reason for that border around the font is so that it is readable in both light and dark background colors. If you could change the font color though it would not be as big of a problem. If you have a dark background you could change the font color to a light one and visa versa. Maybe there could be a choice of a couple of font types including current one. I suppose the easy way now would be just to edit the bitmap.

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC said:
I tried renaming the directories but it didn't work. Yeah the irony is that even if it is fixed in open2x, open 2x uses a PSP menu clone. I won't install open2X until it supports Gmenu2X :p
Is it a hobby of yours to ignore what the Open2x devs keep telling you? :) Such as how there'll be distributions with both menus. You keept complaining about this non-issue ever since they said they'll also use that other menu.

Ripster said:
Thanks for your work on GMenu2x... it looks great. I do use a card reader to move my files to my SD card, but I have had a few issues (3 to be exact) with corrupted files. These occur for no reason, I normally find them during a play session not during file transfers. At this point I am not ready to move GMenu2x to my NAND... I will just use my GP2x without it for a little while and see if my SD card stays stable.

And thanks for responding to a potential problem I am having.
if you are seeing junk files showing up regularly, i would definitely format the card if you haven't already, since you're treating the symptom rather than the cause :D

i've used nothing but gmenu2x since it was released and have had no problems with my sd card. but then i also don't use the usb connect option since i find it to be easier to use a card reader.

i'm also scratching my head about open2x not shipping with gmenu, but gp2xmb is a nice piece of work and orkie said here that autorun in open2x will work and should be faster than in the stock fw.

CC4 said:

If you select an icon from the icon folder of the skin you are using (say skins/Liquido/icons/) then it will be saved as skin:icons/...
ah... wicked!

...spoke too soon; it would be nice if it did that. ...or perhaps i am doing something wrong. if i choose an icon from an icon folder of a skin, i still get: icon=/mnt/sd/gmenu2x/skins/skinfoldername/icons/iconname.png

i am however using firmware 3.0.0 with Gmenu2x on the SD card, if that makes a difference.

...also, not a big deal, had to connect my GP2X at work with the USB cable from the settings section and now there's no pretty icon when i connect. don't know if that has something to do with some of the icon changes, but thought i'd pass it along...

rokdcasbah said:
Ripster said:
Thanks for your work on GMenu2x... it looks great. I do use a card reader to move my files to my SD card, but I have had a few issues (3 to be exact) with corrupted files. These occur for no reason, I normally find them during a play session not during file transfers. At this point I am not ready to move GMenu2x to my NAND... I will just use my GP2x without it for a little while and see if my SD card stays stable.

And thanks for responding to a potential problem I am having.
if you are seeing junk files showing up regularly, i would definitely format the card if you haven't already, since you're treating the symptom rather than the cause :D

i've used nothing but gmenu2x since it was released and have had no problems with my sd card. but then i also don't use the usb connect option since i find it to be easier to use a card reader.

i'm also scratching my head about open2x not shipping with gmenu, but gp2xmb is a nice piece of work and orkie said here that autorun in open2x will work and should be faster than in the stock fw.

Not sure what is causing my problems. I have formatted my card each time I have had my corruption problem, I have had to since it wouldn't let me delete the corrupted areas of the card. This last time I decided to format it using my camera instead of my computer, lets see how that goes.

As far as GMenu2x... I like it... and have decided to put it back on my GP2x, the only thing I am not crazy about is the new keyboard that you get when you want to edit... since he has added all the additional characters I find it harder to navigate. I think it would be much nicer if you could toggle to the other character sets. But that is just my humble opinion, I appreciate all the work the developer did... and will accept the software as it is happily.

First of all, Thank you for such a good system! :wub:

Is it possible to add an option to select various sound effects for different actions such as menu navigation. :unsure:

CC4 said:
...spoke too soon; it would be nice if it did that. ...or perhaps i am doing something wrong. if i choose an icon from an icon folder of a skin, i still get: icon=/mnt/sd/gmenu2x/skins/skinfoldername/icons/iconname.png
Check back the link after you save it. It really works that way. But you have to select the icon from the current skin, it will not work with other skin directories.

Thanks for this wonderful program =) I'm loving it

I've got a problem though, it doesn't autorun(yes I did put autorun in the SD root, the autorun has the appropriate commands, I had this problem with the previous gmenu version and the new one). When my gp2x boots I get the normal menu, and if I start a program/game and then quit it, it does go to gmenu. Perhaps something's wrong with my firmware? I upgraded from 2.0.0 to 2.1.1 after I got my gp2x and my bootscreen says 2.1.1 but it says 2.0.0 in system.

I would love to use this as the standard menu, lots of gratitude to anyone that can help me out..

Alex. said:
DaveC said:
Is it a hobby of yours to ignore what the Open2x devs keep telling you? :) Such as how there'll be distributions with both menus. You keept complaining about this non-issue ever since they said they'll also use that other menu.

*sigh*

He just doesn't listen, does he?

Excellent utility

Is there a place to grab all the icon files ? I've done a scan and its picked up all my emulators, some have icons but not many.

I can create my own just wondered if theres a folder with them all ?

I've just done some myself...

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?acti...70431D37E781695

(Link only active for 7 days)

23 icons to use.

Put them in say the icons folder in gmenu2x/sections/emulators

Then edit the files in gmenu2x/sections/emulators eg for the Spectrum i load up the file in notepad then add at the end...

icon=/mnt/sd/gmenu2x/sections/emulators/icons/speccy.png

Added icons to all my emulators, looks very cool

Ok... my problems with corrupting files are done. This is a new card that I have had for a week and have had it go corrupt 5 times now. Yes... each time I reformat the card... first I tried FAT32... the FAT16... then I tried it with my laptop... and finally my camera. Each time it works fine for a while and then something gets corrupted, usually a whole directory.

Oh and yes... I do safely remove it from my laptop when transferring files with my card reader.

The final straw came last night when it bricked itself, so I guess the problem is with a flaky SD card.

Now that is a sigh of relief... I had a feeling after the third time...

sam fisher said:
*sigh*

He just doesn't listen, does he?

Another Spam Fisher informative and much needed post :rolleyes:

Post count +1 ;)

Ryo said:
Part of the problem is caused by a missing mount option "shortname=winnt" that makes fat partitions more "case" friendly. I hope it will be taken into consideration in open2x.
It will be now it's been brought to my attention, thanks :).

I won't waste a lengthy reply on DaveC, we all know when he disagrees with something he isn't worth listening to.

Thanks for such a great piece of software. Really makes my GP2x SD cards fun to browse through! I think I may have spent more time customising my menus than actually playing games on it though!

What a wonderfull app :D
Thanks a lot !!!

BTW, does someone know what icons pack is used for the screenshot, because it looks just great, so I'd like to have the same ;)

Back