Gmenu2x V0.9 Released

this is so much better than the default menu its no comparison. if you have a gp2x you should be using this. would be nice if people started getting some skins and wallpapers ready for this as they are now easy to change.

hi ryo, very nice job indeed. a few of my observations/suggestions:

minor glitches
- if you move sterm (or any other application having its icon included with the binary) from one section to another, the icon is lost (the default is used). you either have to rerun gmenu2x or restart the unit to get it shown again
- usb nand does not work on my system. it works fine when i use the original menu (firmware 3.0.0)
- sleep utility http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,8,1289 does not turn the screen off when run
- why i see nothing in utilities menu?

suggestions
- remembering last folder used in icon selector could be useful presuming user normally puts them in a common directory (gmenu2x/skins/default/icons or so)
- please consider removing .svn/ directories from the tarball
- autorun.gpu script change to cd `pwd`/gmenu2x should overcome "not booting from nand" problem (mentioned in FAQ)
- screensaver/batterysaver (e. g. run sleep after a certain time of inactivity)

thanks for consideration/reply.

jozef

Dark.Warlock said:
If you fixed the SD card corruption, I'm a happy camper. :)
My main SD card got corrupted twice, Had to use chkdsk.

Trying it now, Thanks!

-Arch

Is there a history of this application corrupting memory cards...??? I have only had my GP2x a rather short time and have had my SD Card corrupted 3 times now. What happens is that there are files on the card that cannot be read nor can they be removed. Essentially I have had to reformat my 2GB card and reload the software. I can live without GMenu2x if there is a possible problem with it.

Thanks for any replies... because I am getting tired of this issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
jose said:
- sleep utility http://archive.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,8,1289 does not turn the screen off when run

Maybe you should notify that to its author

jose said:
- why i see nothing in utilities menu?
Do you mean the applications section? Check the links, I don't see any problem in them.

jose said:
- please consider removing .svn/ directories from the tarball
Oops, I forgot! They shouldn't be causing troubles though.

Thanks for the other suggestions/reports, they are good ideas.

Ripster said:
Is there a history of this application corrupting memory cards...??? I have only had my GP2x a rather short time and have had my SD Card corrupted 3 times now. What happens is that there are files on the card that cannot be read nor can they be removed. Essentially I have had to reformat my 2GB card and reload the software. I can live without GMenu2x if there is a possible problem with it.

Thanks for any replies... because I am getting tired of this issue.
It's not directly related to GMenu2X. I always suggest to use a card reader. The issues were caused by the use of usb connection from within GMenu2X when GMenu2X is on the SD itself. To avoid the problem you could have installed GMenu2X on the NAND.

In this version I tried to solve the issue and I think it should be fine, please report back if you have any more problems.

Thanks to everybody for the compliments.

bacteria said:
Excellent work. It will be a while before I have the chance to try this out.

You say tv-out fixed - completely? (no flickering, colours better?)
Last time I tried, it was fine. Full screen (not half-screen as before) and no flickering. I don't know what you mean about the colours but I don't use tv-out a lot (I only used it to test it for GMenu2X) so report back if there are issues.

Is there a way that I can install this and keep all my settings from the previous version? Is there a config file or something that I can rescue from the previous install that has the settings stored?

Ryo said:
You can keep gmenu2x.conf and copy-paste all your links from your previous installation, their format is the same.
Excellent. No one has an excuse not to upgrade! :)

Nice update thanks.

I think I found a bug though. If I re-name a section and I use all caps like "GAMES" for example it comes up all lowercase "games" when I turn off the unit and turn on again. It doesn't seem to save the case correctly if they are all caps.

Where is this info stored, could I edit file by hand?

Also it would be nice to have the keyboard configurable for your language (could be linked to the language you set maybe). For example if you are just using English you don't need all of those other symbols and they make navigating take longer as you have to scroll through them all, you can't just wrap around anymore as it no longer gives a speed advantage.

Could there maybe in the future be a way to change text color?

Also being able change the style of the selector box on the top bar like can be done for the icon selector would be cool.

Thanks for the great menu.

i think your problem is related to fact that fat32 filesystem (that is how gmenu2x recognizes sections - they are only names of directories) does not make difference between lower and uppercased file/directory names.

joe

Thanks for your work on GMenu2x... it looks great. I do use a card reader to move my files to my SD card, but I have had a few issues (3 to be exact) with corrupted files. These occur for no reason, I normally find them during a play session not during file transfers. At this point I am not ready to move GMenu2x to my NAND... I will just use my GP2x without it for a little while and see if my SD card stays stable.

And thanks for responding to a potential problem I am having.

Good work Ryo. ;) I'm happy to see you resolved the rare behavior with icons. Is fantastic now. Only the icons dont change in the moment. I have to wait for next reload. I noticed the NAND problem too. Nothing happens when mounting.

I've seen the wallpapers selector behavior. The selected wallpaper is ignored in next execution when the skin wallpaper is predefined at origin in skin.conf (wallpaper=bg14.png). Can you rewrite the skin.conf too if user changes the default skin wallpaper?

-In gmenu2x.conf
wallpaper=skins/Liquido/wallpapers/bg14.png

-In skin.conf
wallpaper=bg14.png

The last is selected even the user wants to change it

A suggestion in wallpapers... What about adding a "Select Random Background" option?

Finally i repeat: Good Work!! ;)

been playing around with this, and it works well... "font" needs to be changed in some older skins now, or you'll noticed they're all messed up. if you want to have an icon to change between skins, then you need to change it to skin:icons/iconname.png. perhaps there should be a way to select the icon in the menu in this manner versus just selecting an icon from a directory in gmenu, if you know what i mean. for instance, if you don't want an icon to change you can just plop the .png into the application's directory. if say, you want the look of an icon to change between skins, then it needs to be set as previously mentioned.

in any case, it opens quite a bit of doors to skinning...

DaveC said:
I think I found a bug though. If I re-name a section and I use all caps like "GAMES" for example it comes up all lowercase "games" when I turn off the unit and turn on again. It doesn't seem to save the case correctly if they are all caps.
As jose said it's a problem with the fat filesystem. You can try changing the names by hand by renaming the directories of the sections.

Part of the problem is caused by a missing mount option "shortname=winnt" that makes fat partitions more "case" friendly. I hope it will be taken into consideration in open2x.

DaveC said:
Also it would be nice to have the keyboard configurable for your language (could be linked to the language you set maybe). For example if you are just using English you don't need all of those other symbols and they make navigating take longer as you have to scroll through them all, you can't just wrap around anymore as it no longer gives a speed advantage.
I thought about that too, but it would add too much (unneeded) complexity and you wouldn't be able to reach certain special chars even if you wanted to.
Instead I'm going to place all special symbols in a different "panel" that you access with a key press, like for uppercase letters.

DaveC said:
Could there maybe in the future be a way to change text color?
The font is actually bitmapped so that it can contain that nice border that improves readability.
I'm considering a couple of possibilities...

Ripster said:
Thanks for your work on GMenu2x... it looks great. I do use a card reader to move my files to my SD card, but I have had a few issues (3 to be exact) with corrupted files. These occur for no reason, I normally find them during a play session not during file transfers. At this point I am not ready to move GMenu2x to my NAND... I will just use my GP2x without it for a little while and see if my SD card stays stable.

And thanks for responding to a potential problem I am having.
If you are not using GMenu2X for transferring files then GMenu2X is not the culprit.

pedator said:
I've seen the wallpapers selector behavior. The selected wallpaper is ignored in next execution when the skin wallpaper is predefined at origin in skin.conf (wallpaper=bg14.png).
There some problem of priorities. I'll fix it.

CC4 said:
been playing around with this, and it works well... "font" needs to be changed in some older skins now, or you'll noticed they're all messed up. if you want to have an icon to change between skins, then you need to change it to skin:icons/iconname.png. perhaps there should be a way to select the icon in the menu in this manner versus just selecting an icon from a directory in gmenu, if you know what i mean. for instance, if you don't want an icon to change you can just plop the .png into the application's directory. if say, you want the look of an icon to change between skins, then it needs to be set as previously mentioned.

in any case, it opens quite a bit of doors to skinning...
If you select an icon from the icon folder of the skin you are using (say skins/Liquido/icons/) then it will be saved as skin:icons/...

If you select an icon from the icon folder of the skin you are using (say skins/Liquido/icons/) then it will be saved as skin:icons/...

ah... wicked!

new lines for spanish.

Wallpaper=Fondo
Configure skin=Configurar máscara
Message Box Color=Color de Ventana de Mensaje
Message Box Border Color=Contorno de Ventana de Mensaje
Message Box Selection Color=Selección en Ventana de Mensaje
Background color of the message box=Color de fondo de la ventana de mensaje
Border color of the message box=Color de borde de la ventana de mensaje
Color of the selection of the message box=Color de la selección de la ventana de mensaje

Back