Gmenu2x 0.10-test2 Released

Thanks,Ryo. I've been waiting for next version of G-menu.
some bugs of previous version seem to fixed now.nice work :)
but if u can, plz fix following two problems in next release.

-a little bit slowing down while moving between sections

-touchscreen doesn't work on FW 4.1.1 (i set g-menu clock 150)

thanks again this release & keep going!

I could need all new translation strings since the last official Gmenu release (0.9), there are some new words to translate.

All of the up-to-date strings are listed here:
http://gmenu2x.sourceforge.net/page/Translation_template

I'm not too sure how many strings need to be updated but I don't think there are many, and they should be on the bottom of the list (there's also at least one string in the middle: "Edit link: $1")

MEGADETH said:
-touchscreen doesn't work on FW 4.1.1

Touchscreen does not work either on the GP2X-F200 firmware 4.0.0 :(

Stunning frontend menu though! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Ryo said:
I personally tested it on a gp2x F200 fw 4.0.0. Check your settings, you should set at least 136Mhz in gmenu2x.

Oops, my bad! I have now set it to 140MHz. Works Perfectly!!!! :D

Great frontend as usual! Thanks
The one fault i can find is the slight lag when using L+R to switch sections, but apart from that excellent stuff! :p

That "bug" had been there for as long as I can remember but I'm glad you fixed it. I assumed that was just how it was designed since its been like that a while but nice to know it'll be fixed once you have a final .10 release.

With this frontend it makes the gp2x go from having possibly the worst interface for a console (the default one) to the best (gmenu2x)..

Also loving the touchscreen support

Ryo said:
Here's a second test release of GMenu2X.

There's not much new in this version but it solves a few issues of the previous test release, like the sistematic crashes occurring when changing clock frequency, and features a reworked virtual keyboard with touchscreen support.
...GMenux2x is still crashing on every app launch, so that after launching (for instance) FBA2x, I end up at the GPH default menu. Using wrapper execute doesn't help. Also, the F100/FW4.1.0 battery status still isn't supported, and my SDHC card (16GB) is being reported as something like 3.1GB total.

...but I'm more worried about the crashes. It makes GMenu2x next to useless as a replacement menu system.

:gp2x

Thanks Ryo for the updates. :)

Too bad I no longer use GMenu2X due to the limitation of FW 4.1.x. :(

Ryo said:
[...]
Also, upon exiting any app or game, instead of defaulting back to Gmenu2x, it just drops back to the main gp2x menu. I'm running an F200 with 4.10.

This should be handled by the autorun.gpu script, and it has not been modified in ages...
Is this the first version that gives you this problem or is this happening from after an upgrade of the firmware?

[...]
AloisHammer said:
[...]

...GMenux2x is still crashing on every app launch, so that after launching (for instance) FBA2x, I end up at the GPH default menu. Using wrapper execute doesn't help. Also, the F100/FW4.1.0 battery status still isn't supported, and my SDHC card (16GB) is being reported as something like 3.1GB total.

...but I'm more worried about the crashes. It makes GMenu2x next to useless as a replacement menu system.

:gp2x
The issue of apps exiting back to the gp2xmenu instead of GMenu2X is due to the broken autorun of FW 4.1.x. If the apps were configured or coded to exit to gp2xmenu, the autorun no longer executes, so GMenu2X isn't launched anymore. Using a script or the Wrapper feature does not work if the exit sequence was hardcoded in the program, which ignores them. Although, some apps do allow for configuring/scripting on what program to execute on exit.

...GMenux2x is still crashing on every app launch, so that after launching (for instance) FBA2x, I end up at the GPH default menu.

I don't know about any crashes when launching apps. Maybe you are referring to the broken autorun implementation in firmware 4.1.x (as discussed in the post after yours)

Too bad I no longer use GMenu2X due to the limitation of FW 4.1.x. sad.gif

I don't really know, because I don't use that firmware, but are there any good reasons to use that firmware instead of downgrading?

The only workaround that I can think of requires a modification to the firmware in the nand area, that I'm not going to support, even if the risk shouldn't be too high, because I don't want to take any responsibilities about possible bricks.

and my SDHC card (16GB) is being reported as something like 3.1GB total.

This is something that I tried to fix but I still cannot find a clue. When I run GMenu2X on my linux laptop (compiled for x86_64 for testing) it detects correctly the free/total space of my 80G hard disk.
There is some incompatibility with the gp2x that results in strange results with sd with capacities greater than 4gb (or with sdhc).
If anyone has any idea about what the problem could be, feel free to contact me.

Ryo said:
I don't really know, because I don't use that firmware, but are there any good reasons to use that firmware instead of downgrading?
SDHC cards on F100. I'd call that a big plus. :) Downgrading means having to pull my 16GB SDHC card and drop back to the SD card, plus removing about half the stuff I have installed. And since Open2x is apparently dead / on hiatus / something, GMenu2x really, really needs to work on the F100 with the 4.x f/w. My next purchase after this is Pandora or a MID/UMPC (depending on how disappointing Pandora is, assuming I can ever get one). An "upgrade" to an F200 is so not in the cards.

AloisHammer said:
Ryo said:
SDHC cards on F100. I'd call that a big plus. :) Downgrading means having to pull my 16GB SDHC card and drop back to the SD card, plus removing about half the stuff I have installed. And since Open2x is apparently dead / on hiatus / something, GMenu2x really, really needs to work on the F100 with the 4.x f/w. My next purchase after this is Pandora or a MID/UMPC (depending on how disappointing Pandora is, assuming I can ever get one). An "upgrade" to an F200 is so not in the cards.

Open2X is almost there (I'm using DR3.6ish (custom kernel to test some Open2X only GMenu2X features))
Also Notaz released a version of fw 2.x which had support for some SDHC cards.

I made a little list on another thread on what the Pros & Cons of using FW 4.1.1 vs. FW 4.0.0 for the F-200.

Manjuu said:
Some of the Pros & Cons of FW 4.1.1:

Pros:
- Improved built-in apps (new features & fixes)
- Lower volume (for apps with ear-deafening volume)
- No more sound frequency issues (Allegro games, Java games...)

Cons:
- Broken touchscreen (for homebrew only; notaz has a fix for this)
- Volume too low (for apps that auto-detect F-200s & then lower the volume)
- Broken autorun function (using GMenu2X is a pain)

AloisHammer said:
Ryo said:

Have you thought about or tried Notaz`s firmware for the F100 ?.

More info etc, Here.

Trooper

PokeParadox said:
Open2X is almost there (I'm using DR3.6ish (custom kernel to test some Open2X only GMenu2X features))
Also Notaz released a version of fw 2.x which had support for some SDHC cards.

Until Open2x is sufficiently ready that the developer feels comfortable posting releases somewhere easily downloadable-- instead of forcing users to drop in to IRC to beg for URLs --it's not even on my radar. Neither is downgrading past the perfectly serviceable 3.0 f/w release that came with my F100.
trooper said:
Have you thought about or tried Notaz`s firmware for the F100 ?.

Thought about? Briefly. Tried? No.

Hi,

I've just test this new release on my F100 mk2, fw 3.0, and it does not works. I've got a a nice black screen...
Am I the ony one ?

OOoops sorry for the disagrement, it's all my fault. It ok now !

Hi, I found this thread and thought it was the most appropriate for my question. I have an F200 with firmware 4.1.0 and have downloaded the latest version of Gmenu2X (which is fantastic by the way) and was wondering if this software supports touchscreen at all? Is there a fix I can download for this? I would love to skip between folders with the stylus instead of shoulder buttons and d-pad.

Thanks,
Charco.

Charco said:
Hi, I found this thread and thought it was the most appropriate for my question. I have an F200 with firmware 4.1.0 and have downloaded the latest version of Gmenu2X (which is fantastic by the way) and was wondering if this software supports touchscreen at all? Is there a fix I can download for this? I would love to skip between folders with the stylus instead of shoulder buttons and d-pad.

Thanks,
Charco.

Try the Homebrew Touchscreen Fix by Notaz, this should sort it. :D

FYI, it disables touchscreen support in the official GP2X menu. :(

I downloaded this and extracted it to the root of my SD card, however, after I run the install.gpu and calibrate the touchscreen it still doesn't work on Gmenu2X.

Thanks anyway!

Charco said:
I downloaded this and extracted it to the root of my SD card, however, after I run the install.gpu and calibrate the touchscreen it still doesn't work on Gmenu2X.

Thanks anyway!
Did you also set the GMenu2X's clock speed to at least 136MHz?

Back