Gmenu2x V0.8 Released

I was just manually editing a link file, when I noticed that I'm starting to build up quite a collection of unused 'dead' links. A nice feature might be to search and list these unused links, with an option to delete them. I know they only take up <1kB but it's nice to be tidy! :)

I saw some mention earlier about the fact that there are problems with the USB on / off functionality built into gmenu2x.

The icons run the scripts usbon.sh and usboff.sh in <gmenu2x home>/scripts .

The problem is that, doing it this way, you can connect to your computer, copy stuff over, disconnect and all your changes are gone on the GP2X. If you moved files (rather than copying) then they'll be gone from your computer, and they won't show on the GP2X.

My theory is that, as both the host and the GP2X are intelligent devices, we have a contention of filesystems - the GP2X thinks it knows what's on the filesystem, but something else has changed it behind its back (and knows it has!).

The "sync" command won't help (as was previously suggested) because it simply causes the GP2X's version of the filesystem to be flushed to disk - not the computer's version.

I've found that if, after doing your copy or whatever, you do a umount /mnt/sd and then mount /mnt/sd (from the GP2X command line), this seems to get rid of the problem, and the missing files appear. By doing this we are forcing the GP2X to take a clean view of the filesystem, which supports the theory.

Ryo, not sure - can this be incorporated into the scripts? Might be a bit hard as gmenu2x is probably running from the volume we are trying to unmount. Might need to chain the script...

Try adding a "mount -o remount /mnt/sd" at the end of usboff.sh
That should remount the filesystem even if it's being used (I can remount my root partition on my laptop with this command so it should work on the gp2x too in theory)

Let me know if this fixes your issues so that I'll fix the script in next release.

Can a format SD Card script option be built in? Just to make it easy for everyone to format their SD Cards to a flashable format independent of their Computer's OS. I use a Mac and have had trouble with formatting to the specific FAT format and recognition of the entire volume of my SD Card etc...

Not sure how you would do this, but I had read that a script would perhaps do it, so could one be added to Gmenu? It would be a very handy feature if possible.

®

Try adding a "mount -o remount /mnt/sd" at the end of usboff.sh
That should remount the filesystem even if it's being used (I can remount my root partition on my laptop with this command so it should work on the gp2x too in theory)

Let me know if this fixes your issues so that I'll fix the script in next release.
Thanks for the quick reply Ryo - however...

The "mount -o remount /mnt/sd" command, either appended to usboff.sh, or issued from the command line after disconnecting, has no effect. Once I tested this, I then did an explicit "umount /mnt/sd" and then "mount /mnt/sd" and the files appeared. I also tried "mount -o remount,ro /mnt/sd" in case the fact we were remounting with the same options caused mount to simply ignore the request. All to no avail.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have not much experience with all this Linux-command-stuff. All I can say is, that the free Space on my SD is wrong displayed via Gmenu2X. When I delete/copy on the Handheld, it counts the whole SD-stuff and adds/subtracts the counter correct. But the GP2X (or SD or whatever) has no clue, when I do stuff via Card-Reader on PC.
And when I copy a new file via USB on the GP2X, I must reset the Handheld to see the File or can the file get to work. - Strange.

Maybe a dedicated SD Card screen could be implemented, where you can see an accurate breakdown of the space on the SD Card, a pie chart or something with numbers of GPE's installed and space taken up by music, movies, as well as then having the option to format it etc...

Maybe eventually a basic file manager...

®

You could use "umount /mnt/sd" and then "mount /mnt/sd" in usfoff.sh if you put gmenu2x on nand instead of on sd. I don't know if there's another way to do that, I'll investigate...

why gmenu2x screen have flickering effect? or is just me? it's flicking more than original frontend on startup.... :blink:

Actually it flickers depending on various variables. You can reduce the flicker by adjusting the lcd settings and reducing the clock for gmenu2x. I also noticed it flickering a little more on mk2. Anyway I have fixed it for next version.

Actually it flickers depending on various variables. You can reduce the flicker by adjusting the lcd settings and reducing the clock for gmenu2x. I also noticed it flickering a little more on mk2. Anyway I have fixed it for next version.

ok I'm glad 'cause I was afraid of default gp2x - which is not my but it's owner is a girl and I want 'upgrade' her gp2x with gmenu2x for simplier usage (she is confused about all things with gp2x and thinking it's not good buy and she rather want psp sometimes :rolleyes: )

on my gp2x I don't try gmenu2x still (maybe waiting for tv-out or what)

It depends from game to Game to. Some Games/Emulators seems to change LCD-Timings so after returning to Gmenu2X it flickers a little bit sometimes. And my Gmenu sometimes do a short "blink" a single "Screen flash" but I have this on applications too, sometimes.
I have an MK2.

Back