Gmenu2x V0.9-test1

Ryo said:
Yes, and I think it's REALLY working now...
And the reason of the ram-tweak-flickering? ^^

Besides:
Tweak RAM Timings=schnellere RAM-Timings (damn denglisch/Germish :lol:)
this usually speeds up the application at the cost of stability=Kann Anwendung beschleunigen, auf Kosten der Stabilität

As I mentioned before, in selector-browser(s) of Gmenu2x V0.9-test1 there are some untranslated Button-descriptions here and there ("up one directory", "Select file" in Music-Player-selector ) but I'm sure, there was a german translation made for.

EDIT:
Ok, I had tested Gmenu2X from NAND because of the USB-connection Issue, here my results:

-first I just copied a file via USB to NAND from my SD-Gmenu, and the file was shown instantly on NAND. -perfect.
-same thing with GMenu2x on NAND and USB-NAND connection, instant results, done.
-BUT failure with Gmenu on NAND and USB-copied file to SD: no file shown until reboot. So it has something to do with SD I think because every copy-action to Nand works perfectly and instant independent of where Gmenu2X is.

I hope, this will help somehow.

Last edited by a moderator:
fusion_power said:
EDIT:
Ok, I had tested Gmenu2X from NAND because of the USB-connection Issue, here my results:

-first I just copied a file via USB to NAND from my SD-Gmenu, and the file was shown instantly on NAND. -perfect.
-same thing with GMenu2x on NAND and USB-NAND connection, instant results, done.
-BUT failure with Gmenu on NAND and USB-copied file to SD: no file shown until reboot. So it has something to do with SD I think because every copy-action to Nand works perfectly and instant independent of where Gmenu2X is.

Ok, but have you edited usbon.sh and usboff.sh?

try replacing them with this:

usbon.sh
CODE

#!/bin/bash
modprobe net2272
if [ $1 = "nand" ]; then modprobe g_file_storage file=/dev/loop/7
else
umount /mnt/sd
modprobe g_file_storage file=/dev/mmcsd/disc0/disc
fi

usboff.sh
CODE

#!/bin/bash
rmmod g_file_storage
rmmod net2272
mount /mnt/sd

I don't know if anyone else has this but gmenu2x is squeezed into the left half of the Tv when tvout is used.

Ryo said:
fusion_power said:
EDIT:

Ok, but have you edited usbon.sh and usboff.sh?

try replacing them with this:

usbon.sh
CODE

#!/bin/bash
modprobe net2272
if [ $1 = "nand" ]; then modprobe g_file_storage file=/dev/loop/7
else
umount /mnt/sd
modprobe g_file_storage file=/dev/mmcsd/disc0/disc
fi

usboff.sh
CODE

#!/bin/bash
rmmod g_file_storage
rmmod net2272
mount /mnt/sd

Nope. Where's the difference?
I had tested the scripts now from SD -CRASH! :lol: (but file was there after reboot)
Then tested with gmenu from NAND - WORKING! Great! :) Instant file-shown on GP2X, no reboot, no crash. I hope it will work the same way with Gmenu on SD - someday. ^^

PokeParadox said:
I have a suggestion!

Would it be too much trouble to add a "clear dead links" option. It's a slight problem if you have multiple SD cards... but I think the pros outweigh the cons.
I don't understand. Dead links never shown in Gmenu2X :huh:

fusion_power said:
Nope. Where's the difference?
I had tested the scripts now from SD -CRASH! :lol: (but file was there after reboot)
Then tested with gmenu from NAND - WORKING! Great! :) Instant file-shown on GP2X, no reboot, no crash. I hope it will work the same way with Gmenu on SD - someday. ^^
Nice, so it seems my assuption was exact, but it's not possible to make it work from SD since you cannot unmount the partition when it is being used. I can think of a workaround...

fusion_power said:
PokeParadox said:
I have a suggestion!

Would it be too much trouble to add a "clear dead links" option. It's a slight problem if you have multiple SD cards... but I think the pros outweigh the cons.
I don't understand. Dead links never shown in Gmenu2X :huh:

Yes but they are being kept on the sd. GMenu2X doesn't delete them because they can point to software on other sds.

Great! I have another suggestion but obviously I think GMenu2X shouldn't become too bloated...
Basically I think it would be cool if GMenu could read the logs of that battery testing/profiling application and use the information to scale the battery indicator to YOUR profiled batteries. :)

Ryo said:
Nice, so it seems my assuption was exact, but it's not possible to make it work from SD since you cannot unmount the partition when it is being used. I can think of a workaround...
Ah, OK. So all the Time it was because of the Gmenu on SD-Card. So of course there is the same problem with GP2XMB on SD.
Hm, but why my GP2X sometimes hangs when using GPH Standard-menu USB connection? ^^""

Ryo said:
Yes but they are being kept on the sd. GMenu2X doesn't delete them because they can point to software on other sds.
Ok, that's what he meant. He mentioned multiple SD-cards so normaly the links should be stay on each SD if he uses one Gmenu on NAND....whatever...

From now on, I will use Gmenu from NAND and I think my Gmenu now is a little bit faster on NAND. I hope the NAND is not so fragile like some people sayed. ^_^
When we can ecpect a new Gmenu2X release? :)

P.S.: MAYBE a little bug: Wrapper doesn't seem to work here and there. I wanted to try the executable file from waternet game like the dev sayed:

http://www.willemssoft.be/index.php?main=5...ails&id=218

"GMenu2x & other launchers
The waternet.gpe file is actually a script that just launches the game's executable being "waternet". So if u are using Gmenu2x or another launcher create a link to the "waternet" file and use the wrapper from gmenu2x to restart gmenu2x instead of the default menu."

Gmenu doesn't restart. With the .gpe (script)file everything is normal.

Can I suggest a pair of features?

1. Add an "Explorer" section (like games, emulators and so, on the top), where you can browse through the NAND/SD and add various links at once. I mean, you are browsing through your folders, and when you press one of the buttons over a file (Y button, for example), a dialog appears and ask you which section to add the link, and once done, you are back to the explorer section to add more links.

2. If the "Explorer" section is ever added, it would be useful if you add an option in the rest of sections to go to the folder where the highlighted application is stored. This way, if you have different versions of an application/emulator, you don't need to have one link for every version, as you can easily browse its folder.

3. Let the user associate extensions or folders with an specified application... (well, that would be extremelly good, so forget it by now) :D

Anyway, I couldn't live without GMenu2x. My GP2X (and the GP2X of much others) wouldn't be the same without it.

Thanks for all your efforts on improving this wonderful application, Ryo! ;)

Ryo said:
Just wanted to let everybody know that half tvout screen is finally an issue of the past. ;)
Great how did you fix it?

Ryo said:
Downloaded MMSP2 reference and tried altering almost every register value :p
Your donate link is in Italian. I bet you would get a lot more donations if it were in English.

I don't know how to change it, it's already pointing to the com domain name. I thought is used the browser settings for the language, but I guess it's locked on italian since it's an italian account...

While working with Gmenu2X I had some SUGGESTIONS for usability-improvement. :)
-There could be a optional "global directory"-option for a Icon-Folder, so Gmenu tries to use automaticly Icons from this folder, if icon-name and application-name match. (game-folder searched at second) Useful if you want to change a Gmenu-skin and change all Icons if the new Skin has some (like Liquido) or (like me) copy Gmenu2X to nand and have to replace many old Icon-paths still leading to SD, to the new dir on NAND.
And there also could be an preview Image in the (manual) Icon-Selection-browser so the Icons can be watched before choosen. :)

-Screenshot Function, because there is no working one for Gp2X :lol:

just though that i would make a suggestion - probably not of much use to anyone other than me, but have just downloaded this and had a go at skinning it with my own images.

it would be handy for me to have more control over the rows and columns presentation - for example, i have six apps in my emulators section and it would be good if i could have two columns and three rows, but alligned close together to the left rather than spaced out down the middle.

so this:
-------------------
X X
X X
X X
-------------------

instead of:
-------------------
_____X X
_____X X
_____X X
-------------------

i think it has been mentioned before but a randomisation of background image would be nice too - i think that has been mentioned before and appreciate that the look and feel isnt necessarily the highest priority, but thought i would make my thoughts known.

love this menu though and look forward to further releases.

Occationally, the menu doesn't boot. Its pretty rare, and only happens once in a blue moon. I dont know why either.

Back