Artist For Pmenu Skins Wanted

El Jefe said:
space needed between # and MB, the clocks colors doesnt match the theme, you got the shade all wrong with the middle column (basic physics), the bgcolor on "Emulators>" does not match the top bar bgcolor, the different sizes on the dropout menu levels does not work together and wont scale very nice, ioreg not relevant to the pandora internals (this one needs verification), if thats what you try to portray?

i won't comment on the aesthetics of your work, because this is an open source project and you do this for free!

Last edited by a moderator:
grasshoppir said:
space needed between # and MB
Can't do anything about that with the current cfg set up.

grasshoppir said:
the clocks colors doesnt match the theme
suggestion? blue doesn't really stand at all

grasshoppir said:
you got the shade all wrong with the middle column (basic physics)
what you mean my state of the art relativistic physics engine failed to correctly shade the center column?!? this is an outrage. oh wait, I didn't actually use raytracing. Just black box + gaussian blur.
but you're right, somewhere between my first and second versions, the shadow got turned down, easily fixed if its that much of a problem.
grasshoppir said:
the bgcolor on "Emulators>"
BTW: these are the basically the exact gradients used on the iPhone browsers, I made a bunch of the graphics for this in the iPhone SDK.
grasshoppir said:
the different sizes on the dropout menu levels does not work together and wont scale very nice
regrettable, but I couldn't get these to match to the pixel, I might be able to do something about it...
also, if you hadn't noticed, he pandora screen is quite stationary, scaling is not an issue...
grasshoppir said:
ioreg not relevant to the pandora internals (this one needs verification), if thats what you try to portray?
I originally just put it there to make that side less bland, and you are right, its a command specific to mac os x. what would you prefer it said?
grasshoppir said:
i won't comment on the aesthetics of your work, because this is an open source project and you do this for free!
god forbid that might happen... :rolleyes:

protip: all the source files for all of these skins are in this thread, making you own skin isn't too tough, modifying another's is downright easy. You can mess with mine if you want.

EDIT: amazingly, I did just find a better way to arrange them, so they don't have to be different sizes, just wondering, this means I will be doing another version,
any other suggestions?
Like what to put in the background instead of ioreg output?

El Jefe said:
EDIT: amazingly, I did just find a better way to arrange them, so they don't have to be different sizes, just wondering, this means I will be doing another version,
any other suggestions?
Like what to put in the background instead of ioreg output?
I think that something organic would fit, as a contrast to your otherwise very sharp menu setup. Try to find something you can build up a contrast with (preferably using extremely cold or warm colors to make the contrast more obvious), and apply a blur to it (blurs do always work, I abuse them to hell :p)

alright, finished v2:
Screen%20shot%202009-12-24%20at%2012.21.23%20AM.png
for some reason I couldn't upload this one to the ftp.
it may be relevant that I accidentally uploaded it to the parent directory just before... edit: got it covered, I just needed to change the file name, so I upped the version number
anyways here is a download link.

So, reviving the topic for a important reason: We have skinned the dialogue box to use A and B buttons for Confirm and Cancel, we have to change that now to something else because we're using the GP2X button layout? Wouldn't it be better to make the buttons separate images from the dialogue box so those that wish to remap the button layout, can have the correct buttons show up?

Gone missing for a while...

Christmas and New Year celebrations got all my time (and my stomac). But I'm going back to making my skin.
Expect a "release candidate" at the end of the week (if some of you are still interested :rolleyes: ).

I know it's a bit late, but when the skin will be completed, I'll make the Illustrator files available to download (or in svg, if you like it better).

Would there be a way to arrange this so that there could be some kind of icon grid instead of a sequential list of items? It is cumbersome when you have allot of things there to scroll through items one by one especially when a third of the screen seems to be wasted on the right side.

DaveC said:
Would there be a way to arrange this so that there could be some kind of icon grid instead of a sequential list of items? It is cumbersome when you have allot of things there to scroll through items one by one especially when a third of the screen seems to be wasted on the right side.
I'm sure that Cpasjuste could add this eventually, but it would render all of the existing themes unusable (unless you make the grid small enough to fit in the rectangle where the list is now), so would it be worth it?

I think that the current list solution works well enough; I get the impression PMenu is supposed to be an extremely light-weight menu (as opposed to Panorama which uses more memory) so if there's one display mode that can be optimized, that works well enough, it is to be preferred I think.

dflemstr said:
DaveC said:
I'm sure that Cpasjuste could add this eventually, but it would render all of the existing themes unusable (unless you make the grid small enough to fit in the rectangle where the list is now), so would it be worth it?

I think that the current list solution works well enough; I get the impression PMenu is supposed to be an extremely light-weight menu (as opposed to Panorama which uses more memory) so if there's one display mode that can be optimized, that works well enough, it is to be preferred I think.
The problem with a list is that if you have allot of apps (we hope we will) is that you need to go through them sequentially. If you are at the beginning and want to get to the middle or end it is allot of scrolling. A grid layout (like Gmenu) is much more efficient because you can navigate in 4 directions instead of only two.

Something like below would work well. It is just very ROUGH for concept. The icons could be larger, the graphics improved etc (yes the graphics suck but I didn't want to spend time on it just for an example). It is just an idea for layout. It is a tabbed interface (skinnable) where you could use shoulder buttons for tabs on top (or other configurable keys) and the d-pad to select icon. Yes the touchscreen could also be used. It would be simple, fast.

menuth.png

W00t W00t W00t, really important :

I'm really sorry, i did had a big problem with my server ( which was up since a few years now ). I had to backup it and reinstall, but completly forget to backup the ftp skin folder ... so i do not have your skins anymore !

Please, reupload your skins here : ftp://mydedibox.fr/ in the incoming folder.

I'm really sorry again, i hope you'll all get this message.

Cpasjuste said:

I'm really sorry, i did had a big problem with my server ( which was up since a few years now ). I had to backup it and reinstall, but completly forget to backup the ftp skin folder ... so i do not have your skins anymore !

I'll get mine in there on Monday or Tuesday. They are on my work machine.

Cpasjuste said:

Sorry, but I can't upload to the server; I don't have any permissions. Have you enabled anonymous access?

Since the topic is alive again, I feel I must quote what I said before because it's important. And gives us a chance to fix up our skins before re-uploading them to the FTP again.

MDave said:
We have skinned the dialogue box to use A and B buttons for Confirm and Cancel, we have to change that now to something else because we're using the GP2X button layout? Wouldn't it be better to make the buttons separate images from the dialogue box so those that wish to remap the button layout, can have the correct buttons show up?

Wow, life took away hours, days and even weeks!
I'll finish the skin ASAP... even if no one gives a damn about it :rolleyes:

I hope everyone will be able to reupload their skins.

HI Guys

I want to contribute a skin or two but I have no experience with Linux, only tried some live-images... I have experience with Photoshop and a little bit of xml editing... Can anyone help me get started somewhere? I'd love to contribute but I have no Idea where to start with the provided files...

Cheers
Flam

Flam said:
HI Guys

I want to contribute a skin or two but I have no experience with Linux, only tried some live-images... I have experience with Photoshop and a little bit of xml editing... Can anyone help me get started somewhere? I'd love to contribute but I have no Idea where to start with the provided files...

Cheers
Flam
Well, just take the archive and modify the current pics.
We will try (and make screenshots) for you if you want.

Back