Asus Eee Pc Emulation

ihmedia

Still Fresh
Hi

I was looking to get an f200 for games emulation, but then i found the eee pc and i see that can run some emulators also, does any one know what its emulation is like?

I guess the f200 has the best range of emulation available?

Asus eee is a 900 MHz 500MBytes Linux PC, no more, no less.

So of course emulators run better than on the GP2X, which runs a similar system with much less horsepower.

However, Asus eee does not fit in your pocket and does not have gaming controls.

EDIT: And eee has 3D hardware, too. So PSX and N64 emulators should not be a problem. For N64 I am not sure, but apparently the system requirements of Mupen64 are lower than the specs of the eee.

You can install Windows XP on the Eee instead of Linix, I have seen guides to do this, by reducing the size of Windows, it fits.

You could use a USB port on the Eee to run a controller.

I am awaiting to see what the Pandora is like when it comes out and what its strengths and weaknesses are. I might be tempted to get an Eee otherwise - and build a controller with built-in Li-ion to run the laptop for longer. Time will tell..

I've got a different UMPC (1GHz) and it runs a lot of things really well; naturally the controls suck, but for DOSBox.. they win :p

jeff

ihmedia said:
Hi

I was looking to get an f200 for games emulation, but then i found the eee pc and i see that can run some emulators also, does any one know what its emulation is like?

I guess the f200 has the best range of emulation available?
Unless the small size is what you want, the EEE is just not a good deal. I bought a dual processor 200gb hard disk laptop with 17" screen for 650 about double the price of the EEE. For the same price as a EEE, you can buy a used laptop with better specs because the EEE is very low spec. If small size is most important, you can get a Toshiba Libretto used starting around $100 (for a very low end P-100 or so), but I think you can get them up to a P3. These things are small, much smaller than the EEE. If you have a big pocket (say a good sized coat pocket), you can put it in your pocket. I'd take a used laptop over the EEE any day of the week. As for comparing it with the GP2X, it doesn't compare. Whats better a corvette or an SUV? A Honda Accord or a pick-up truck? Are Idaho potatoes better than Florida Oranges?

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
bacteria said:
You can install Windows XP on the Eee instead of Linix, I have seen guides to do this, by reducing the size of Windows, it fits.
WHY would you want to do that? Thats just not right...

christo930 said:
Unless the small size is what you want, the EEE is just not a good deal. I bought a dual processor 200gb hard disk laptop with 17" screen for 650 about double the price of the EEE. For the same price as a EEE, you can buy a used laptop with better specs because the EEE is very low spec.
Yes, 900mhz is low-spec, but for retro emulation and web-browsing it is just fine (I realize that the bios currently puts it to 5xxmhz, that is still plenty on a Pentium M)

If small size is most important, you can get a Toshiba Libretto used starting around $100 (for a very low end P-100 or so), but I think you can get them up to a P3.
To be frank, a used Libretto u100 of equal processing power to the Eeepc costs around $800-1,000, without accessories.

I have owned Toshiba Librettos, the battery tech is too old, they don't have USB (let alone USB 2.0), or a built-in SDHC card slot and onboard SSD (I jammed a CF card in mine, so I could use it as a zero-vibration eBook reader, but that isn't very elegant.)

The best you can hope for is the 266 pentium model for under $200, and that maxes out at 64MB of ram (and NOT standard SoDIMM ram either), 32mb is standard. The graphics accelerator is not even up to the task of accelerating 2D.

These things are small, much smaller than the EEE. If you have a big pocket (say a good sized coat pocket), you can put it in your pocket. I'd take a used laptop over the EEE any day of the week. As for comparing it with the GP2X, it doesn't compare. Whats better a corvette or an SUV? A Honda Accord or a pick-up truck? Are Idaho potatoes better than Florida Oranges?

Yes, you can compare it. I can't stand the GP2X, I pre-ordered, and then bought 4 more, hoping that each update would "fix" it. No More.

IF you can lug around a laptop and are prepared to spend $300-400, I recommend a getting one on ebay with a mobile nVidia GeForce 6600GT in it.

IF you want something smaller, the Eeepc IS looking very nice, albeit not exactly the most bang for your buck. (It DOES have PCI Express, And I want to try interfacing a video card with it, but that is because I am a crazy hardware hacker). I would recommend it hands-down up to $270, sadly it isn't available at that price. (The lowest end model has upgradeable RAM, even though the door isn't there. The SD slot can host 8GB+, so even 2GB isn't bad)

I would personally just bide my time and wait for the Pandora, it is barely larger than a DS-Lite (about the size of a DS, but much better looking), and will really be something to get excited about. The way that the community has a say in the desing is awesome. Audio input and output, with TV output included even!! Dual SD cards, the list is endless.

As far as the Eeepc compatibility with emulators, I say full-speed n64 and PSX (obviously some games remain unplayable even on mighty desktops to this day, because emulation isn't as good as the actual console.), and even some PC games should the mood strike you.

Full USB (3x USB 2.0), means that you can use controllers and external devices just fine.

@Vimacs, some people run software/hardware that remains completely unsupported by any other OS. Personally I have Windows2K SP4 (same core, much smaller resource footprint) and NTlite, I would recommend that as an alternate OS.

There is nothing wrong with XP/2000, I think it is the best OS around (of course I salivate at tube-framed racing cars, maybe I just think simple working stuff is nice). I have been Linux Distro hopping and I still can't get one that supports all my wacky stuff, so no go with Linux (Clearly on the Eeepc I would use XP/2000 as an alternate boot, to keep the Eee functional day to day)

I writing that using my EEE and I can tell you 1 thing...
It rocks...
For 300bucks its a damn good yet tiny PC
I didnt test emu but Fallout tactics is working...stepmania too...Whhy would I need something else?

see you :lol:

Vimacs said:
bacteria said:
WHY would you want to do that? Thats just not right...

So you can run Windows emulators rather than Linux. Also, if you are familiar with Windows, you don't need to learn anything new.

christo930 said:
If small size is most important, you can get a Toshiba Libretto used starting around $100 (for a very low end P-100 or so), but I think you can get them up to a P3. These things are small, much smaller than the EEE. If you have a big pocket (say a good sized coat pocket), you can put it in your pocket. I'd take a used laptop over the EEE any day of the week.
Come on, the most powerfull Libretto (not Libretto U, still expensive) runs at 266 MHz and has 64 MBytes of RAM. How can you compare that with the eee?

Eee is just amazing. It boots quickly and is just powerful enough for standard applications (web browser, mail client, office applications...). Any subnotebook able to do the same thing cost more than 300 Euros, even on ebay.

The eeePC is fantastic for emulation (I am using the default Xandros version of Linux).
It recognizes USB controllers, so controlling games is not a problem.

FYI, the processor runs at roughly 620 Mhz, not 900 Mhz (I say roughly because I can't remember the exact number). The scenario here is similar to the PSP running at 220 Mhz default, even though it is rated for 330 Mhz.

Hwrd said:
The eeePC is fantastic for emulation (I am using the default Xandros version of Linux).
It recognizes USB controllers, so controlling games is not a problem.

FYI, the processor runs at roughly 620 Mhz, not 900 Mhz (I say roughly because I can't remember the exact number). The scenario here is similar to the PSP running at 220 Mhz default, even though it is rated for 330 Mhz.
i wouldnt say the eee pc is "fantastic" for emulation but its not bad. i'm running ubuntu on mine :p i still use my gp2x for all my emulation nd games except for some dos games im playin warcaft on my eee atm.

Shifty said:
Do any Linux emulators run on the os it comes with?
Yes. All of them. It even includes a package manager (APT) so downloading and installing is simple, although I don't know what repository it uses. It is a fully-functional x86 laptop.

EDIT: Apparently it's Xandros, so presumably it uses the Xandros repository.

nickspoon said:
Shifty said:
Do any Linux emulators run on the os it comes with?
Yes. All of them. It even includes a package manager (APT) so downloading and installing is simple, although I don't know what repository it uses. It is a fully-functional x86 laptop.

EDIT: Apparently it's Xandros, so presumably it uses the Xandros repository.

Ok thank you.

I might order one of these along with a large SD card.

washo said:
It rocks...
I didnt test emu but Fallout tactics is working...stepmania too...Whhy would I need something else?

Wouldn't you have rather purchased a used laptop with better specs for less money?

Chris

christo930 said:
washo said:
It rocks...

Wouldn't you have rather purchased a used laptop with better specs for less money?

Chris

Well, first of all, I LOOKED for a used laptop for cheaper than that a while back, and they barely exist, much less with better stats. And the EEE is a lot more portable, as well, plus the battery will hold a charge. (Not that I care either way, I have an actual laptop.)

hal9000 said:
christo930 said:
If small size is most important, you can get a Toshiba Libretto used starting around $100 (for a very low end P-100 or so), but I think you can get them up to a P3. These things are small, much smaller than the EEE. If you have a big pocket (say a good sized coat pocket), you can put it in your pocket. I'd take a used laptop over the EEE any day of the week.
Come on, the most powerfull Libretto (not Libretto U, still expensive) runs at 266 MHz and has 64 MBytes of RAM. How can you compare that with the eee?

Eee is just amazing. It boots quickly and is just powerful enough for standard applications (web browser, mail client, office applications...). Any subnotebook able to do the same thing cost more than 300 Euros, even on ebay.

I made the comparison only on the basis of size. Some people would like the functionality of a laptop that fits in a pocket. Sure some sacrifices have to be made to get it that small, but if that's what you are looking for the Libretto fits the bill (with some sacrifice). If you are looking for a laptop on the cheap (which is the goal of EEE), you can do better in the used market. If it wasn't so expensive to support, schools could do very well taking donated laptops 2-3 years old. But believe it or not, it's cheaper to buy thousands of identical laptops than to have thousands of different laptops that were all free. I think that that is where the EEE will do very well. But for a consumer, a used laptop is the way to go. Hell, I got a brand new one that is worlds above the EEE for less then 2x the money. They are going for 350-425usd and that is pretty good for a new laptop, but since the tech is so old and out of date, you will get a better laptop for the same dollar in the used market. Size wise, I think they are pretty good if you are looking for such a small machine. I've seen nothing but good reviews on the unit with the exception of the keyboard. But dollar for dollar, I think your money is better spent in the used market, or up the stakes and go into the low end new market. I bought at the low end of the new market and spent 699 on a Pavillion DV9610 (I'm pretty sure thats the number). So for 300 more I got 2 1.9ghz processors, a beautiful 17" screen, DVD burner, sata hard disk... Built in webcam, mic, wireless, blue tooth, card reader (5 different standards) 4 or 5 usb ports an expansion port (not pcmcia, but the new one which is escaping me at the moment), digital audio, low end nvidea graphics chipset 8100 (usable for 3d gaming, but I'm not a 3d gamer). I am thrilled with the laptop. I could not believe how fast it is. It is the fastest laptop I have ever used. Most of the laptops I have used have been really slow even when compared to desktops with much lower specs. I guess they have made major improvements in laptop performance in the last 2 years. Size wasn't a consideration for me (actually it was, the bigger the better), but I realize not everyone wants such a big laptop, but they had smaller units for even less money. So for about 599 a 15" model with similar specs, just with the smaller screen. Just my .02

Chris

Back