Asus Nexus 7 - Google Jelly Bean

A bit stupid considering pc world and tesco's are selling them tomorrow just glad i got mine early here tesco's are doing a deal on them so can see cheaper than £199

my supervisor just got is yesterday and brought it to work today. It looks good, work and all at a very good price too. I didn't know it was $199+tax contract free. That's a very good deal on google's part. I'm still not gonna buy it tough.

Well I'm still bloody waiting for mine! My friend ordered his well after me and got his yesterday

Well I'm still bloody waiting for mine! My friend ordered his well after me and got his yesterday
Yeah its ridiculous i was extremely lucky got mine last week from hmv there trying to be fly now playing on the hype

Google have well and truly bollocksed this launch right up, I wonder if there will be some kind of apology?

And people still debate android is not the way forward get one sony trust me you wont put it down all this needs is a controller dock like the wikipad and ill be happy as larry.

Picked up a Nexus 7 last week, got to say I'm really impressed with how much bang you get for your buck with this thing.

How are you fellow Pandorians getting on with your Nexus 7s?

Got any hints or tips?

Here are mine :

Get flash running by following the instructions here.

If you're looking for a good case then this one is worth a go.

If you're after a stylus then try this one.

Looking forward to trying the Nexus 7 out with some emulators & a USB gamepad via USB OTG.

I got it, the resolution is really spot-on.

It's my first experience with tablets and Android (except for the Pandora).

I think it's nice for watching videos or reading stuff, but I just can't stand typing with that keyboard.

It seems every third key I type is a miss, so for webbrowsing where I need to type stuff, I still prefer my Pandora.

For gaming as well, missing controls are annoying.

Still, for a tablet, it's a neat device for the price.

I already had to root it as I wanted to connect it to my home server to watch videos (CIFS)... heck, you can't connect to a network with standard Android?

Geeez :D

but I just can't stand typing with that keyboard.

I can't say I like the default keyboard but compared to using it on a tiny phone screen it seems almost user friendly. However I've just had a quick play with Swype and it seems truly superb. You have to jump through a few hoops to download it (register an account on their site) & learn a new way of inputting text but it seems to be well worth it.

Just had a proper play with the voice search stuff and it seems to be surprisingly accurate to me.

Is it just me or does Google now seem a little 'sinister', a google search on my desktop (logged in to chrome) for info on my local Cinema lead to a notification of travel info for me to get to the Cinema appearing spontaneously in Google now on the tablet. :blink: I know that's how it's supposed to work but it seems a little bit 'future is now' to me.

Is it just me or does Google now seem a little 'sinister'

Only a little bit sinister? :lol:

google11.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
just wondoring anyone whose used one of these is android 5.0 worth upgrading to or is it generslly similar to ics? dunno if i can be botghered to update again

I only used Gingerbread on the Pandora and Android on the Google Nexus so far and couldn't really spot that much difference.

It's a launcher for apps with some widget support... nothing more.

but I just can't stand typing with that keyboard.

I can't say I like the default keyboard but compared to using it on a tiny phone screen it seems almost user friendly. However I've just had a quick play with Swype and it seems truly superb. You have to jump through a few hoops to download it (register an account on their site) & learn a new way of inputting text but it seems to be well worth it.

Just had a proper play with the voice search stuff and it seems to be surprisingly accurate to me.

Is it just me or does Google now seem a little 'sinister', a google search on my desktop (logged in to chrome) for info on my local Cinema lead to a notification of travel info for me to get to the Cinema appearing spontaneously in Google now on the tablet. I know that's how it's supposed to work but it seems a little bit 'future is now' to me.

+1 For Swype, it's the only thing I can use for typing on touch screens.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I only used Gingerbread on the Pandora and Android on the Google Nexus so far and couldn't really spot that much difference.

Cmon ED its so much more smoother than ICS and everything ive tried so far is head and tails above any handheld ive owned true controls are an issue but if someone releases a decent controller dock like the wikipad itll be the best mobile game console for me im loving mine youtube is spot on there are games and emulators aplenty only gripe i have is no hdmi or mhl support.

Last edited by a moderator:
Phelsumania Android Jellybean is known as 4.1 not 5.0

It is nicer than ICS 4.0 though IMO from the little use I have had of it.

The 'buttery smoothness' is a lot nicer for general use, also the Google Now 'cards' feature is very nice, given time, once the device picks up on your life patterns and such, it offers good things, like advice on disruptions to your journey, also reminds you when you've meetings coming up.

There are a number of them only for now, but they will grow, I think this is one of the best new features of it.

Take a look at it here if you want more info on how they work exactly http://www.google.com/landing/now/

Back