Audio Hiss?

martymcfly

I have tried several headphones and all seem to give hiss? Playing a video makes hiss go quieter. Playing payback makes it go louder?!

Edit: Maddness, if its on batteries this doesnt happen. Seems to be the AC adapter causing a hiss problem when its running of the mains, i wonder why? As long as i play with speakers its fine on the mains. And when its on bats, theres hardly any hiss at all, at least from what i have seen so far. Phew, thort i'd have to return the bloody thing. Anybody else experianced this?

Edit again:Nope, its the payback demo. When i exit it, even on bats, the hiss goes way up on headphones until i restart the gp2x. Please somebody calm me down, this is a brand new gp2x :-( The hiss goes away once a video has been played in this instance.

It sounds like the volume is getting set to maximum when you are playing some games. The GP2X has only a software volume which can be annoying. What firmware are you running?

What menu are you using? If you try out GPMENU2X you can pre-set the volume for every program.

Another thought is that your power adapter is supplying dirty power to the unit. Maybe it is not regulated properly? Doent make sense with the batteries but its a thought...

Thanks for the reply. Nah it wasnt a power adapter issue at all...i knew it wouldnt as gp2x.co.uk recommended it to me lol.

I have the latest 3.0 firmware, i may try gpmenu2x that you have recommended.

I have found generally that the volume and therefore a mild hiss fluctuates between uses such as audio and video. However, it now seems that payback demo was the worst offender for magnifying underlying hiss, so i have deleted it and its pretty much not a problem anymore.

Ill try GPMENU2X, thanks alot!

PS: do you happen to know anything about scummvm lol?

Back