What Headphones Are You Using With Your Gp2x?

starpause

Website
mp3death.us
Subject says it all, what phones are you using and what do you use them for? Music only, movies, games?

I *had* some sony mdr-ex51 in-ear buds, but one side of them died last night. :eek: Hence my question :p

For the most part I use headphones inside (when I'm outside I like to hear the outside) but sometimes in noisy places like the bus or train. I use them for listening to music and making music (with lgpt). I rarely have sound turned on in games and I rarely watch videos.

I also have some grado sr80 open ear phones but I always used the in-ear buds with my gp2x because they are so portable. I would keep them in my Astonishia Story R case with my gp2x :ph34r:

So I'm planning on another in-ear bud, wobbling between something fun and bassy like creative's ep-630 buds or something analytical and crisp like the audio technica ath-ck7.

My main reason in asking is because some headphones can hiss, be to quiet, or sound overdriven depending on the source their hooked up to. So what's plugged into your your gp2x!?

0020130075_287.jpg

Koss KSC 75
They don't cost much and the sound is pretty decent I think, sounds great on my GP2X.

If you're looking for cheap headphones I'd recommend these.

Link below might be helpful :)

http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-manufact...koss-ksc-75.php

If you had the ex51s then you know how nice they are. I would just recommend upgrading to the ex71s (~$30)

Same feel as the 51s...better sound.

If you need durability however, I would go with the seinnheiser mx75s. Supposedly they can be washed (think dishwasher)...I have a pair...but I have yet to try this.

Ask on head-fi.org if you're looking for headphones.

I don't have a GP2X (yet), but I'm going to see how it is with a pair of Beyerdynamic DT990s (I'm going to use a dedicated headphone amplifier since I know the GP2X's puny headphone amp can't efficiently drive a 250 ohm headphone).

I've been using an old pair of sony earbuds that I had lying around. They're not the best for blocking out external sound but they fit nicely in my case and I didn't feel nervous about cutting them down in length to get rid of excess cable.

Azure posted on Feb 19 2007 at 10:55 PM said:

I wouldn't ask for any shopping advice from that site unless you have lots of money. Last time I asked about anything there, I ended up buying a $300 pair of Grado SR225's and a $100 headphone amplifier.

Last edited by a moderator:
This might feel strange, but the headphones am using are the ones that came with an old walkman I bought in 1995, and they are the best headphones I ever used, I consider them of the mysteries of technology, tried many headphones from the higher class recently, but nothing beats my old ones. They are branded Aiwa, and if I remember correctly, they cost me around $200 with the walkman (which is still working btw) at that time.

xenonflash posted on Feb 19 2007 at 10:22 PM said:
Azure posted on Feb 19 2007 at 10:55 PM said:

I wouldn't ask for any shopping advice from that site unless you have lots of money. Last time I asked about anything there, I ended up buying a $300 pair of Grado SR225's and a $100 headphone amplifier.
Yes, beware the Curse. I've spent a couple thousand dollars on headphone stuff because of that place...

BTW, $300 for SR225s? That's like $100 more than MSRP :blink:

I, personally, don't like ear buds, so I got a pair of these headphones:
0002724254559_215X215.jpg

They're called "studio headphones" or something like that and they're made by Sony (I really hate giving them money... But, these were good. <_< :D ). They work fairly well, and I use them for my music too. But, they can be uncomfortable initially, until you get used to them, and they aren't the most portable things in the world... :D

Dont really use headphones with my gp2x, but if i did i'll be using the ones that came with it in the value pack, unless theyre really crappy, then ill be using a pair of aiwa studio headphones, much like the ones pictured above.

I'm using a HD 547 Sennheiser. Best headphone brand in the world if you ask me :) You might pay some more, but it's worth every piece of your money.

I'm just using a set of Philips HE592 Surround Sound Earbuds. I don't use my GP2X for listening to music, but these sound great with games... but they're super sensitive, so I find that even with the volume set to 1 bar in GNGEO or 10% in gp2xengine, they still seem awfully loud (note: I've played in hard rock and punk bands all my life; I'm 45 and - according to my wife - deaf as a post now, so if I say they're loud, you can take it to the bank). Anyway, they're cheap, efficient, have a right-angled jack and a long cord, they sound good and are comfortable - basically, they work for me.... :D

chaos engineer posted on Feb 20 2007 at 03:05 AM said:
Sennheiser MX 550, they have got a volume control which is very helpful as the gp2x has no proper analog volume wheel.

I have some Sony earbuds and I was going to also say people should look into getting something with a volume control as well. We all know how the volume can change from one app to another on the gp2x (yes, I have the limiter on and I use gpmenu2x to set a global default of 50%). I set my volume on the earbuds at the 50% mark so I can never get something which would blow out my ears.

I have a pair of Sennheiser headphones for my PC and it's the most balanced sounding and comfortable headphones I've ever had. I'll have to check out the ones you link to so I can upgrade.

One thing I want to ask everyone about is the magnetic field around these earbuds... I put mine in the case, so they are really close to the SD cards. Any chance that it's going to wipe my cards, or is the field not strong enough? I haven't had any problems yet, but I think about it every time I put my earbuds in there...

NoidZ posted on Feb 20 2007 at 01:01 PM said:
I'm using a HD 547 Sennheiser. Best headphone brand in the world if you ask me :) You might pay some more, but it's worth every piece of your money.

Full ACK.

Sennheiser.jpg

I prefer the Sennheiser PX200 in white for music. They are lightweight and you can fold them.

Regards,
Stephan

Back