Audio via headset

mclien

Very Active Member
I got mine yesterday. Set it up and updated the system.
I understand that the automatic switch from speaker to headset/-phones isn't working yet.
But plugging in the headset, I instantly have some static noise.
Music still running on speakers. at first I had no luck with the pavucontrol, but now I know I need to switch between speaker and headphones. Working but still some static noise, which is bad enough to not want hear anything with headphones.
Tried the soundcontrol from the traysymbol. That gave me the full volume with only the noise! ..and a near heart-attack. (both headphone and speak, so unplugging didn't helped much.

So, buggy drivers?
Anything that can be done about the static noises? (no, not a bluetooth headset, a cable one)

First try alsamixer in terminal and mute every slider, next try to find the slider responsible for headphones by raising and testing them.
Noises can be either overpowered amp or loop feeding in microphone or line in.

At least lets hope this can fix it.
I have not played with headphones myself so far...

I also used wired headphones, but I don’t know which valves I turned to make them work correctly..
it was more try and error than knowledge

None of the above changed anything. Still totally random.
Alsamixer shows only one slider.
And at random click in pavucontrol the soundsystem crashes. And a loud random/hissing noise is emitted from whatever spaeker is active. Only "fixable" by shuting down.

So far my try and error is literally:
Try..
...and error
next try, next error
But in no case audio without background noise.

Have to admit the sound system is not ideal at the moment.
There is definitely some signal noise coming out of the headphone jack, that's even noticeable when you have a game or video running. Hopefully this is just state of the audio hardware that is being overloaded or something.

But yeah the audio control method seems to ignore the volume control wheel if you switch from the speakers to the headset and the only volume control is the slider in the output tab of the sound preferences application.

Yes, I'm not sure any way short of rebooting has been found to get rid of the loud noise (tm) yet.
I know there was a method I could stop it if it starts, just don't quite remember how.

Hopefully this all can be resolved as the sound system is way more complicated than the Pandora's hardware.

Did some testing and and noticed taht is directly related to the whatever happens on the screen.
I stared audacious playing ogg/mp3 file with the headphone on. Music volume just that I can clearly hear it (20%).
The I moved around with the mouse (nubs or usb mouse change nothing). Like opening the menu and move around in it. The noise is changing exactly with the highlights from mouse over.

Aren't ther some annoying setting which make clicksounds for every mouseclicks, mouse-overs etc. for some desktops? It's like that, but even more annoying, because it's noise instead of clicks.

What other DEs are ther, that can be installed? xfce/fluxbox?
Or for quick testing: can I switch off/on the LCD?

EDIT:
For testing, I'd like to disable pulsaudio and see what is working with also only. Or is that a futile attampt anyway?

Last edited:
None of the above changed anything. Still totally random.
Alsamixer shows only one slider.
And at random click in pavucontrol the soundsystem crashes. And a loud random/hissing noise is emitted from whatever spaeker is active. Only "fixable" by shuting down.
You have to change the device to get all the sliders in alsamixer to show up.
Press F6 and select 4. Letux Cortex 15

I remembered I had written about these things before, here's a paste from one of my posts in the current state of pyra thread

F6 -> Select Letux Cortex 15
Move all the way right to Vibra Right
Arrow up to switch on.
HF DAC (Handsfree) seem to be the speakers
HS DAC (Headset) is the headphones output
These are all seperated mono output devices and have to be set on/off manually if you want output to either one and not both.
Vibra Left gives me noise on the speakers btw

Or you can just go to Sound Preferences from the Sound Tray, go to the Output Tab and select Headphones or speaker, etc...

Update several months ago updated this to be a little more easy.

Or you can just go to Sound Preferences from the Sound Tray, go to the Output Tab and select Headphones or speaker, etc...
OK, so the one from the tray is alsa?
Anyways tried both those settings and the pavucontrol. In both cases I get noise on full volume at random occasions (no fun with headphones..)
So the main discovery (to me) is that it is directly correlated to what are the systemsounds (klick sounds on every screenaction, like clicking, mousover, movement through menues etc).
I did deactivate systemsounds in the audio settings, no difference.

So my idea was to get rid of pulseaudio, do give also only with only one soundstream a go (can't see the use of several soundstreams on the Pyra anyways).
Do I just use apt to purge it? Like
Code:
apt purge pulseaudio
?

I think I've read somewhere on these boards not to go above 80% (or any other XX %...? coundn't say, sorry) with the current state of the software to avoid such issues. Hope this helps a bit...

Reactions: rSl
Yes, system is up to date (apt update/ upgrade done, otherwise you get errors in synaptic)
noise appears at any level of volume. I'd like to test it without x-server running, but I don't know how to get there (the usual ALT+CTRL F! trick doesn't get me to the shell. Also I don't know how to boot into another runlevel.
Wanted to test on cli with mgp321 or similar (is there a ogg321?)

Well, because Wired Headphones, needed some struggle around in alsa, i found it more usefull to just carry 2 Pairs of Bluetooth Headphones: The Airpods works perfekt on the Pyra, but they have some issues in ANC Mode so i cant use them on the Iphone, and the JBLs needs an App so dont work on Pyra.. ^^

Shure its more easy to make try and error than read in the Linux Audio Material to understand what to do, i want to learn more about Linux some times, , also a Reason why i want to use the Pyra as my Main Computer (and because its a cool Emulations Gaming Device..)

It's just sad to see that the idea of getting both sort of wired headsets working ends up in getting none usable.
And the airpods are the most wrong device for me anyways: charge a box, that charge the headset which can be achieved by a cable? sorry 3 sets of extra batteries for a cable. Sounds wrong to me.
Plus I can't use my external Speakers, I now use on my laoptop (the active ines with a subwoofer).

To some constructive question: Is it possible to set the softwareswitch, that is supposed to recognize the kind of headset to a specific one?

Back