Beta Audiorace 1.5

mcobit said:
That solved it. Plays perfectly now without any stutter.
Now the only thing, that has to be implemented is the keyboard and that when there is written "press Start" you have to press select actually.
The bug, where the Pandorabutton opened the start menu after quitting the game seems to be non persitend, as it didn't do it, when I tried it with the lastes build.
Maybe you can leave this in.

Thank you again for your great work! If you want me to package this into a pnd just say so.
Do you have the working package to share please?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't want to release others work without their permission. There are still some things to fix, before it is perfect.
If you don't mind playing it from the commandline, then you can download the updated file on the link in the first post.

Ah yes, and when you enter your name in the hioghscorelist with the dpad, there is no way to confirm it right now. So you have to press the pandorabutton to get out and your highscore is not saved.

I don't know if you are interested, but I got the library to load from the local folder using the
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$PWD ./audiorace

Probably will help when you PND package it.

Thanks, in the pnd you have to make a startupscript that sets HOME and LD_LIBRARY_PATH so this is not necessary.

actually, just create a directory named "lib" at the root of your PND. pnd_run.sh will take care of adding this to the ld_library_path ;)

sebt3 said:
actually, just create a directory named "lib" at the root of your PND. pnd_run.sh will take care of adding this to the ld_library_path ;)

I thought this would be implemented from hotfix 5 on...

Edit: NICE!!!

As other here also have mentioned then there's some problems with the start button you have to use the pandora button instead, otherwise then it looks really good.
littlebit sad that it doesnet support Mp3 files yet.

Great work crow_riot. :)

I think supporting mp3 files has always some legal issues, when you want to ship the codec with the program.

It looks like when importing music (which takes quite a while, by the way), no objects are generated on the level/map. It just generates an empty roadway that occasionally dips and rises.

Still, I'm glad someone has taken to time to remake such a great game, and am very glad someone decided to port that remake to the Pandora. :)

If it helps, the song in question is here. It's the song titled "Look and Feel Years Younger". I doubt that this helps. Still a good song, though. :p

I used the .ogg format.

OilySalmon said:
It looks like when importing music (which takes quite a while, by the way), no objects are generated on the level/map. It just generates an empty roadway that occasionally dips and rises.

Still, I'm glad someone has taken to time to remake such a great game, and am very glad someone decided to port that remake to the Pandora. :)

If it helps, the song in question is here. It's the song titled "Look and Feel Years Younger". I doubt that this helps. Still a good song, though. :p

I used the .ogg format.
I had the same, one song was just straight road for at least a minute and another had no objects just a bit of a curvy road.

so i'm back from a 2 day vacation and will continue working on the port and fixing the latest issues.

i think i've already found the empty-track problem which basically made the FFT not working (just forgot a preprocessor define ...)

conversion and overall speed/performance may also improve, with the next release, because i've not set any compiler optimizations yet.

loving this game!
Gameplay is fun and it's probably the prettiest piece of homebrew I've seen on the pandora so far. I'm exited to hear you want to improve the visuals even more :)

mp3-support would be amazing. maybe you could provide an ogg-only executable and an additional executable in the pnd that is linked to libmp3 in the community codec pack? using gstreamer might be another option to just use whatever codecs the user has installed. Like I have tons of flac-files for symphonic music and would be keen to play through Grieg's Peer-Gynt-Suite :D

thanks conso! :)

gstreamer is a somewhat nice idea, i'm just reading through their license. would be a good way to get mp3 and flac and whatnot working with the game :)

Oh, no .mp3 Support? Sad, most of my Music is .mp3 I hope I don't have to convert all the stuff again. But luckily I have some OGG files if that helps, what types of file does the game currently support?

Currently only OGG's are supported - so you're lucky :)

But i think i really might get into supporting gstreamer codecs - but no promises here, i did not read their api yet :)

*edit*
Another solution what i was thinking about, is writing some conversion routine that takes any mp3 and converts it into ogg on their first use. ffmpeg and a commandline script would possibly work. i don't like the idea very much, though.

crow_riot: just use gstreamer, then you can have audiorace work on basically any file format .. it should be possible to set up a sink to get your fft analysis on anything streamer supports, technically .. well, that is assuming that you don't pre-roll the fft ..

just want to thank you for pointing out gstreamer, i'm playing around with this atm and it's really cool.

it's only a few lines and ogg and mp3 are just playing nicely on my dev machine. this will bring audiorace a real step forward on the pandora, no more boring limitation to ogg only :)

just a short question - what codecs are on the pandora out of the box? i hope it's at least ogg, and maybe flac, too?

hehe, just imagine video-support :)

I'm glad to hear that gstreamer works out well. I was afraid that it wouldn't suit your profiling needs or be to heavy.

If i might recommend something else: with libmusicbrainz you could generate fingerprints for the songs. Saving the highscores with that info would be a good preparation for online highscores :)

Back