AYA Neo handheld Windows gaming pc

Seems that even at 7 inches these days you'll have difficulty getting an actual honest landscape screen. But provided windows rotation works here that shouldn't be a problem. And it's unlikely to be a problem with linux with this thing being AMD x64 based so I'd expect xrandr to work there out of the box as well.

They've still got to actually make plastic for that thing, and make controls that actually work and aren't repurposed ipega controllers. But this being chinese, they could probably do all that by next month, the rate they're able to churn these things out.

Yeah, they're the the Number 1 country for a reason :(

I can't keep up with all these chinese Handhelds anymore, to much, to fast...but still nice to discover. xD
I mean, how fast they can go through all stages, from idea, design, prototype and finaly mass production. Must be Cheaters!

I'm impressed by the quality of these 3D printed cases, they don't use FDMs it seems. I would like to have an 3D printer that can make that quality...for a affordable FDM price of course. ;)

So awesome <3

Its a bit whyrd that these Chinese Handhelds seems to pop up multiple time faster than the Pyra, yes, but on the other Side: This seems to be just a Windows 10 Tablet whit a Game Controller, nothing that complex, just take a System on a Ship, make a Square Case, and put some Controller Hardware in...

Thye have more money because they can put these faster off the Factory Band, and sell much more, so its shure there faster, also because they have more workers..

Its nothing from interest for me, as i ditnt play that much modern PC Games anymore, i even have Farming Simulator, Crysis, Borderlands 1 and 2 on the Switch, and the Other Things are for the XBOX, so nothing that special..

Seems that even at 7 inches these days you'll have difficulty getting an actual honest landscape screen. But provided windows rotation works here that shouldn't be a problem. And it's unlikely to be a problem with linux with this thing being AMD x64 based so I'd expect xrandr to work there out of the box as well.
Why is the rotation thing actualy so complicated onto the Pyra project and so simple onto...well any other handheld of that kind? Is this just some Win/Linux thing or an ARM/x86 thingy?

Yeah, they're the the Number 1 country for a reason
At least when it comes to hardware. Software though... ;)
Its a bit whyrd that these Chinese Handhelds seems to pop up multiple time faster than the Pyra, yes, but on the other Side: This seems to be just a Windows 10 Tablet whit a Game Controller, nothing that complex, just take a System on a Ship, make a Square Case, and put some Controller Hardware in...

Thye have more money because they can put these faster off the Factory Band, and sell much more, so its shure there faster, also because they have more workers..
I would not even say that it is all just becuase of money. And yes, they actualy sit much closer to the sources when it comes to hardware parts and manufacturing capabilities. So I doubt that ED could have made the Pyra development much faster with money alone. Not in Europe at least, no chance. There are reasons why Hardware is mainly made in China, including the big tech companies. Sad thing though.

Overall, this AYA is an interesting device but nothing for me. The x86 design is an advantage and an big disadvantage too. I don't wand a handheld device that sucks up over 35W! Impressive from the tech side for sure but practical? I hate noise and that huge cooling fan doesn't look qiet at all (which radial fan is actualy quite?). I'm still more interested in modern ARM solutions but I hope that their x86 compatibility will increase more. I don't mind to use Windows and have it's gaming library available onto an ARM Device this way. Microsoft works on that kind of thing but AFAIK they also only use emulation. And Apple simply makes their own ARM processors - why not. :D

Last edited:
Why is the rotation thing actualy so complicated onto the Pyra project and so simple onto...well any other handheld of that kind? Is this just some Win/Linux thing or an ARM/x86 thingy?
I can't be sure given what I currently know, but I think it's an x86 versus ARM thing. I've never had a problem xrandr'ing my display on linux or the equivalent on windows on any boxen I've run. But that said, both android and iOS on ARM devices are quite capable of rotating the screen according to an accelerometer. So it seems to be an artifact of the way xrandr rotates the screen doesn't work so well on ARM devices.

Or maybe, thinking on it, that's not true at all. I remember a requirement being stipulated that the framebuffer looked sensible to users expecting a landscape display, and xrandr doesn't cover that. So maybe it's just that they didn't want to make anything harder for anyone not using X for display. So actually what we've ended up with is better than these cheapo tablet things, just harder to do right.

I think one of the differences is that rather more people actually care about the Intel kernel and Xorg drivers, whereas we are the only people left who care about OMAP5.

Particularly for Windows (and also Linux now I suspect too), these drivers will actually be being actively developed and supported by Intel, rather than having to make do with what TI gave us (and fortunately zmatt was able to turn this into something actually usable.)

Last edited:
I think one of the differences is that rather more people actually care about the Intel kernel and Xorg drivers, whereas we are the only people left who care about OMAP5.

Particularly for Windows (and also Linux now I suspect too), these drivers will actually be being actively developed and supported by Intel, rather than having to make do with what TI gave us (and fortunately zmatt was able to turn this into something actually usable.)
Yes. Also, there are probably a hundred times more Windows driver programmers out there than the tiny few who know about Linux drivers. So it's architecture and software platform that has presented personnel difficulties.

^ Awesome, but I'm not sure why they're still using the old prototype?

image0-2.gif

Last edited:
Oh! Good luck, because (my prediction), if anything you'll be waiting till next year. 4500u is coming out first :(

Do I care? No.
I waited 7 years for a Pyra release and you want to tell me I shall buy a weaker processor because I have to wait 2-3 month or half a year longer?
No.

Besides, I only trust them when ED has units or there are enough people out there who have some.
It's not wise to buy some of the first units anyways.
I had a 90-95% production ready SmachZ in my hands at the Gamescom.
And hundreds of others, too.
They handed it in public to everyone who wanted to hold a unit.
They made a 100% legit impression. Build quality was great.
So as long as the Aya Neo is not out I won't throw my money at them.

I want one.
I'm much more interested in it than in a GPD WIN MAX.
And if a company like Acer/Asus/etc. made it, I'd buy it instantly.
But buying the first ever made product from unknown Chinese guys is nothing I'll do if there is no evidence that they are 100% legit.

What I see in the Discord looks very nice and I want it to be real.

Founders Edition was up for preorder in China and sold out. AFAIK 1000 perorders for 99.999 YEN/ea were sold.

Here is the link to the video showing of the Founders Edition. Looks pretty solid tbh

Last edited:
I really don't know at the moment which one would be best.
Aya Neo or GPD WIN3.
Both are looking nice.
Aya has bigger screen.
GPD has Thunderbolt and Micro SD

Back