(Bad)Joke Appreciation Corner

AaP9FUu8.jpg

My wife asked me to put ketchup on the grocery list...
but now I can't read the list anymore.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketchup

Amoy theory
A popular folk etymology is that the word came to English from the Cantonese keh jup. The word keh means 'eggplant'; tomato in Cantonese is 番茄, which literally translates to 'foreign eggplant'.
Another theory among academics is that the word derives from one of two words from Hokkien of the Fujian region of coastal southern China: kôe-chiap (in Xiamen and Quanzhou) or kê-chiap[30][31] (in Zhangzhou). Both of these words (膎汁, kôe-chiap and kêchiap) come from either the Quanzhou dialect, Amoy dialect, or Zhangzhou dialect of Hokkien, where it meant the brine of pickled fish (膎, 'meat'; 汁, 'juice') or shellfish. There are citations of koe-chiap in the Dictionary of the Vernacular or Spoken Language of the Amoy from 1873, defined as "brine of pickled fish or shell-fish".

Malay theory

Ketchup may have entered the English language from the Malay word kicap. Originally meaning 'soy sauce', the word itself derives from the Chinese terms.
In Indonesian cuisine, which is similar to Malay, the term kecap refers to fermented savory sauces. Two main types are well known in their cuisine: kecap asin which translates to 'salty kecap' in Indonesian (a salty soy sauce) and kecap manis or 'sweet kecap' in Indonesian. Kecap manis is a sweet soy sauce that is a mixture of soy sauce with brown sugar, molasses, garlic, ginger, anise, coriander and a bay leaf reduced over medium heat until rather syrupy. A third type, kecap ikan, meaning 'fish kecap' is fish sauce similar to the Thai nam pla or the Philippine patis. It is not, however, soy-based.

European-Arabic theory
American anthropologist E. N. Anderson relies on Elizabeth David to claim that ketchup is a cognate of the French escaveche, meaning 'food in sauce'.[34] The word also exists in Spanish and Portuguese forms as escabeche, 'a sauce for pickling', which culinary historian Karen Hess traced back to Arabic kabees, or 'pickling with vinegar'. The term was anglicized to caveach, a word first attested in the late 17th century, at the same time as ketchup.

Last edited:
Back