(Bad)Joke Appreciation Corner

Bittersweet:
As a child, when we went on road-journeys, we would reasonably frequently go past buildings labelled prominently with the term "Free House".
I always wondered why we couldn't just go and live in one of them, because most of them looked bigger and nicer than the house my family lived in.

Yes. A cause of great disappointment. Not only were the buildings not gratis, but neither were the beverages that were available within the building.

Another example of English overloading the word 'free' with multiple distinct meanings: e.g. libre and gratis*. Given how much vocabulary English has that enables fine distinctions to be made, it has often struck me that the overloading of 'free' is difficult to understand.

*There are other meanings, as your linked dictionary points out: https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/free . I think the record for numbers of meanings for a single word is 'set', with 430 (yes, not a typo, four hundred and thirty) distinct senses, although the online OED says 264 meanings, 74 of which are obsolete.

朝食失敗して、ちょーショック!
I didn't qualify this joke, although it's clearly bad, being posted on a German/English board

In case anyone cares enough, it translate to: I failed breakfast, what a shock! The play on words is on "breakfast" sounding the same as "what a shock!" (Both pronounced as "chou-shoku"; the first two characters, and the characters after "、").

Glad I appear to have kicked off some actually funny ones though

I didn't qualify this joke, although it's clearly bad, being posted on a German/English board

In case anyone cares enough, it translate to: I failed breakfast, what a shock! The play on words is on "breakfast" sounding the same as "what a shock!" (Both pronounced as "chou-shoku"; the first two characters, and the characters after "、").

Glad I appear to have kicked off some actually funny ones though
Arigatou for the explanation. I usually use this to decipher kana: https://jisho.org

Back