(Bad)Joke Appreciation Corner

If one assumes that the symbols/glyphs are read from left to right, then the first stroke of the first symbol/glyph of 'P' is a vertical stroke, and so is that of 'I'. It just so happens the last stroke of the symbol 'I' is the same vertical stroke that is the starting stroke. So in a sense, they both start with an example of the same type of thing. How you interpret the stroke is up to you.
These Pyra board pages use Unicode as indicated by <meta charset="utf-8"> in the source code. Therefore the characters are to be interpreted as Unicode. In Unicode the semantics are defined while the glyphs are undefined. Unicode thus never defines the I to be a stroke. The boards could replace that I with the I Unown and my message would still be the same because my message was Unicode and Unicode does not define the glyphs and therefore the glyphs are not even part of my message.

Just like the paper that a book is on is not part of the story but is instead just the medium for the story, so are glyphs not part of Unicode messages and are instead merely the medium which conveys the message.

http://www.unicode.org/standard/principles.html said:
The Unicode Standard does not define glyph images. The standard defines how characters are interpreted, not how glyphs are rendered. The software or hardware-rendering engine of a computer is responsible for the appearance of the characters on the screen. The Unicode Standard does not specify the size, shape, nor style of on-screen characters.

Last edited:
There are 10 kinds of people; those who know binary and those who do not.
There are 2 kinds of people; those who know quater-imaginary an— wait…
There are 10300 kinds of people; those who know quater-imaginary and like this joke, those who do not know quater-imaginary but like this joke, those who know quater-imaginary and do not like this joke, and those who do not know quater-imaginary nor like this joke.

How do you make a banana split?
-I find insulting it until it's diminishing self-esteem forces it to run away is fairly effective, but I guess you could politely just ask it to leave.
-First make sure it's sufficiently warmed up, we don't want any pulled muscles.
-Normally with a knife.

I searched for lightbulb* jokes in the forum, and didn't find this one:

Q: How many psychiatrists does it take to change a lightbulb?

A: Only one, but
it has to want to change itself!

The 'industry term' for lightbulb in the UK is 'lamp'. Only clueless consumers call them 'lightbulbs' or 'light bulbs'; and the item into which they are fitted is usually called a 'luminaire' - although it can be even more nuanced: LampHQ: Lamp, Light Bulb, Luminaire, Light Fixture – What is the difference?

Back