Bad Sound Quality

It says u-boot.bin already flashed, skipped
uImage already flashed, skpped

then it writes the rootfs...

I reflashed and it's still the same.
Weird thing is now the alsa mixer only has input boost and capture it's missing main... weird.

And it seems to be only the bassy sounds that other people have mentioned.

In the future you should edit a post instead of posting over and over. It's generally considered rude by forum etiquette to post more than once in a row.

Really strange about not having main in the mixer, after a fresh flash :/

It's there now but I noticed something (it was probably present before also) but adjusting main doesn't change the volume. I turned it all the way down and can still hear stuff. So now I think that's my problem I simply can't lower the volume... by the way I think Main is PCM if you look in the config files.

Edite:
What on earth is going on? I just deleted my .asoundrc from my home directory and still have audio! :blink:

Edite: I'm going to bed.
My conclusion... I'm not able to adjust the voluem wahhhhh :(

HackModford said:
Edite:
What on earth is going on? I just deleted my .asoundrc from my home directory and still have audio! :blink:
On Linux most of the .something config files located in the user's home directory are for overwriting settings in a global configuration somewhere else. That way each user can have separate settings, but if no custom user settings are given, it defaults to the global settings. Hence why you can delete the .asoundrc without screwing things up (but also without fixing things).

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe some Maemo 5 code could be used. I don't know if their ALSA stuff is open, though.

Hm, this is really weird... some other users also had this.
The weirdest thing is that sometimes everything works fine - and all units should be the same. But as it changes per MP3 (and not randomly), it seems some software thing.
I don't have such unit here, otherwise I'd test it out.

Gonna ask the other guys if anyone has any idea what this could be.

I am one of the users with this phenomenon: I start GianasReturn and the sound of the melody at the title screen is crisp. Start again, and the sound is fuzzy, regardless of the master volume in the mixer.
This effect seems to be random.

strange becase i do not get any of these problems at all ,if you reflash and you are still getting such problems is it not then a hardware problem of some sort ,mabe Ed should make a test mp3 and host it for such users try after a full reflash and update ,if the problems are still there ie ,not being able to turn volume all the way down or crackles then it would be hardware.

Bare in mind other software can cause the mixer to go mental so if testing like this do not use any software before the test.

Could it have something to do with overclocking ? and after resuming to normal clock without a reboot things are still messed up ,i have noticed many things get messed up with high overclocking 500/600 everything seems normal ,anything over and my wifi goes bad and emulation can have a negetive effect in some cases.

Still i am not sure if i have a wifi problem or not ,people have reported 800kbs on transfer speeds yet i only get 40/50 then i could reboot and get a high of 100/110 but never any higher than this ,i am on a 10mb line and my psp can triple the pandora on transfers and my home pc can get the full 1.1mb all day long ,i have no crazy router cfg setup and i use multiple devices ,ps3 ,laptop , pc ,psp with no problems ,also my pandora has a buzzing noise when ever i connect to wifi ,if i switch wifi off the noise goes away instantly ,also i get a strange noise now and then that sounds like a boing sound.

i think my wifi is damaged in some way but it has not been addressed yet.

I did a reflash and nothing changed.

The OP-Team is aware of this problem so waiting and drinking coffee is for me the answer.

Linguist said:
The OP-Team is aware of this problem so waiting and drinking coffee is for me the answer.

Same here... got the sound crackles that show randomly (in about 70% of cases) and will wait until the cause is clear...

jasay said:
HackModford said:
Edite:
On Linux most of the .something config files located in the user's home directory are for overwriting settings in a global configuration somewhere else. That way each user can have separate settings, but if no custom user settings are given, it defaults to the global settings. Hence why you can delete the .asoundrc without screwing things up (but also without fixing things).

Okay so where is that file? I want to mess with that one.

Could everyone else see if changeing settings witht he mixer or (terminal alsamixer) makes a difference? Even if your sound is okay?

I have the same problem. Fiddling with the software mixer doesn't help at all. It also occurs with headphones plugged in.
I have tried mp3 playback with mplayer and vlc. They both mess up the sound randomly. Sometimes restarting the player helps, but most of the time sound is messed up.

E: HackModford: The two files you are looking for are ~/.asoundrc for the user setting and /etc/asound.conf for the global settings. asound.conf is empty on my box though.

Mine was full of settings for the omap3beagleboard and omap3pandora

I deleted everything for beagle board... Maybe I should try deleting everything for pandora just to see if it makes a difference. I"m frantic enough to try.

Edit: okay now I'm creeped out. I just deleted .asoundrc and asound.conf and asound.state and... I still have sound even after restarting...

HackModford said:
Mine was full of settings for the omap3beagleboard and omap3pandora

I deleted everything for beagle board... Maybe I should try deleting everything for pandora just to see if it makes a difference. I"m frantic enough to try.

That's weird, are you sure we are talking about the same file?
You don't have to delete it, just move it somewhere else. If something breaks you can move the file back.
E:
Can you paste the content of your asound.conf here?
Problem also occurs when using oss output via /dev/dsp

Yeah I just cut them to the sd card. and I'm sure we're talking about the same file. one's in my home directory .asoundrc and the other is in etc asound.conf

Can those with this problem try running PicoDrive a couple of times and tell how it sounds? This will need a ROM but they are easy to obtain.
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/53899-picodrive-released/

this might give me some ideas depending on results.

notaz said:
Can those with this problem try running PicoDrive a couple of times and tell how it sounds? This will need a ROM but they are easy to obtain.
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/53899-picodrive-released/

this might give me some ideas depending on results.

one moment please, I will try...

Back