Bad Sound Quality

Linguist said:
notaz said:
Can those with this problem try running PicoDrive a couple of times and tell how it sounds? This will need a ROM but they are easy to obtain.
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/53899-picodrive-released/

this might give me some ideas depending on results.

one moment please, I will try...

1. I was using Sonic the Hedgehog. First the sound was clear, then just in the middle of starting level 1 the sound was distorted like in any other program.
2. Then i was rebooting the pandora and turning off WLAN. There is clear sound at the 1st execute of picodrive. The 2nd execute has distorted sounds.
3. Setting sound quality in the options to 8000Hz Mono does not solve the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
As this is beta2 I will give it a try.

Interesting thing... with beta1 I was playing scooby doo mysteries and noticed that sometimes during the game the sound would improve for a couple minutes and then go back. It was never perfect and it might simply be the song in the game had lass bass at that moment.

I'm going to download this beta2 now.

Oh just noticed that's it's beta1 with just the readme updated. I'm gonna download anyways but I can give you my experience. Multiple launches of of picodrive doesn't improve sound at all.

Edite: (sorry forgot to edit this post into last post)
Anyways I tried beta2 anyways and still no difference launched sonic a couple times (restarting emulator each time) no difference.

So resetting the OS to the current version (instructions here: http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/53637-first-boot-its-asking-for-a-login-and-password/page__p__858053&#entry858053) didn't change anything for the sound problem for me:

The first two times firing up PandoraPanic the sound was perfect, but the 3rd, 4th and 6th times the problem was there again. After a few more tries of starting PandoraPanic the sound output was fine again of one game session. Afterward the sound distorted again. So it's still there, a fresh install doesn't do the trick.

Next, I'll try the Picodrive version Notaz has posted. Will update this post when done.

Does reducing system load help? Try booting to minimenu, then running
http://notaz.gp2x.de/misc/pnd/background_killer.pnd

.. and then some game.

Nope Notaz... didn't work (but it sure sped up my system :D I'm keeping that pnd handy.

sorry, running background killer and then programs from minimenu did'nt work better. The same here....

There is one program which never has bad sound quality on my pandora: ScummVM with Monkey Island (PC DOS Version).
I've started and aborted ScummVM ten times in a row for a test and it has clear sound in every instance.

HackModford or zapman, could you please test this with your pandoras?

notaz, could this be a hint?

Yeah I'll just have to find my monkey island files.

Edit: found my scumm games... will let you know what happens directly.

Edit: Nope... It's just as bad as ever.

Linguist said:
There is one program which never has bad sound quality on my pandora: ScummVM with Monkey Island (PC DOS Version).
I've started and aborted ScummVM ten times in a row for a test and it has clear sound in every instance.

HackModford or zapman, could you please test this with your pandoras?

notaz, could this be a hint?

Sorry, tried ScummVM 1.0.0-r6.5 for armv7a (Ångström unstable armv7a base feed) but after running Monkey Island I for the third time, I had the scrabled sound again.. :(

EDIT: can't run the picodrive downloaded at http://notaz.gp2x.de/releases/PicoDrive/PicoDrive_180beta2.pnd .. the display just switches black for a second and than returns to normal desktop. So I can't test right now, sry (forced install of tangoGPS and ScummVM could have messed with pico drive requirements..?)

I just noticed something new. Only programs like "gnome mplayer" and "exaile" actually obey my alsa settings. So if I turn the volume down (in alsa) you don't hear anything from them. Unfortunately turning the volume down (in alsa) did not fix the problem.... I'm about ready to cry now. :blink:

We're still trying to figure out what this could be.
Sounds like some timing differences when ALSA initialization takes place that differs a bit from hardware to hardware.

I first thought it was a broken Amp or something like that, but as it doesn't always happen and a game works with proper sound if the initialization was correctly, it really sounds like a software problem here.
Not easy to find, especially since notaz doesn't have a unit currently that has that problem - in worst case I'm gonna ship him one.

Cool even tho it's annoying I'm glad it's software rather than more faulty units.

coevin said:
Cool even tho it's annoying I'm glad it's software rather than more faulty units.

Well, that's something we can not say it's 100% sure, but it sure is weird that it works WHEN it works :)

We'll keep you informed. Of course, if it's a hardware issue, you can replace your unit :)

Last edited:
Fingers crossed it's not I really don't want to send my second pandora back lol, I'm loving it. Yeah it is a strange one I can play Mario world with no problems but if I play super star wars it's horrible.

I don't believe it's an ALSA issue, as the problem also occurs with OSS output via /dev/dsp.

dbr said:
I don't believe it's an ALSA issue, as the problem also occurs with OSS output via /dev/dsp.

Yeah, as OSS runs using ALSA Emulation ;)
We don't have a native OSS driver in there, only ALSA :)

Last edited:
Sadly... mine has never "worked" right. I wish I was that lucky.

Edit: Does anyone know why changeing the brightness (with function keys) or pressing the pandora button affects sound? Sometimes it seems as if it gets slightly better doing that.

Back