Basic Open2x Questions

zakhooi

Still Fresh
Hi,

I just read about open2x and I have a few basic questions.
I own a gp2x F100 MKII and I use a 4Gb sdcard.

1. Can I use the sdcard with open2x and run all emulators with having to modify anything on the sdcard?
So, do the emulators also work on open2x?
2. Once I tried open2x, can I flash my gp2x back to the original firmware? (I'm using 2.1.2 at this moment).

Thanks in advance

Zakhooi

Peter R said:
I've flashed to open2x DR1, then DR2, then DR3, then fw 2.1.2 and then back to Open2x again so I don't see any problems with what you want to do.
Right thanks,
But can you answer my other question as well?
Can I use the SDCARD just as it is now? I mean can I run all emulators with open2x? Is it compatible?
Or do I have to start all over again and finding emulators that are special made for open2x?

Last edited by a moderator:
Right!
But then, when I look on the open2x page there is no firmware available.
Just the toolchains.
Are open2x users expected to brew their own open2x firmware or is there a place to get the ready-to-flash version of the latest release available?

I'm not really into programming so I'm just interested in this firmware as a user.

Please advice where to get a compiled version of the firmware.

THanks in advance

Open2x has not yet been released to the public yet, that's why you can't find precompiled binaries. Devs who want to participate in the project can download the sources and compile their own firmware. Advanced users could do that too. I prefer to wait for the release version.

Maybe one of the people in the open2x project can shed some light about how progress is going?

Squirrel61 said:
Open2x has not yet been released to the public yet, that's why you can't find precompiled binaries. Devs who want to participate in the project can download the sources and compile their own firmware. Advanced users could do that too. I prefer to wait for the release version.

Maybe one of the people in the open2x project can shed some light about how progress is going?

right, thanks for your explanation, then there is no other option left for me to sit and wait.

Orkie is just packaging everything up, so a first public release should be very very near.

I hope you all remember the Open2x team when it comes to donation time! Developers of the "core" parts of the system you use seldom get as much love as the emulator coders, which is obviously wrong, not to mention the path to Hell itself ;)

Orkie's also involved with the crucial underlying bits of the Wiz, so he deserves extra kudos if you're interested in that system.

fishybawb said:
I hope you all remember the Open2x team when it comes to donation time! Developers of the "core" parts of the system you use seldom get as much love as the emulator coders, which is obviously wrong, not to mention the path to Hell itself ;)

Orkie's also involved with the crucial underlying bits of the Wiz, so he deserves extra kudos if you're interested in that system.
Donate all your money to Orkie indeed. Then I can mooch off of him... :unsure:

Peter R said:
I thought he was going to mooch off me for coffees :D, you both being local and all ;).

I will personally be very glad to get a public Open2x firmware out of the door, the recent F200 work, SDL updates, touchscreen work and more make it a very appealing firmware (but I guess as one of the project leads and kernel guy I am biased ;)).

DJWillis said:
Peter R said:
I thought he was going to mooch off me for coffees :D, you both being local and all ;).

I will personally be very glad to get a public Open2x firmware out of the door, the recent F200 work, SDL updates, touchscreen work and more make it a very appealing firmware (but I guess as one of the project leads and kernel guy I am biased ;)).

He will mooch off you for coffees but not until he has hunted down every all you can eat restaurant in town...

Gruso said:
I promise you, seeing the Open2x logo on powerup will open my wallet like champagne opens legs.
Ummm.... I just decided I am part of the Open2x team so yeah, pay me too ;)

Well, it was worth a try wasn't it? :unsure:

DR4 is out now, so if this pretty much 'just' works the public release will be out at the end of next week (though I am moving into university on the 20th, so I can't guarantee it yet).

Back