Battery Life

Javacat said:
What happens if you have both the DC adapter plugged in and the USB cable from your computer?
The DC adapter has priority over the USB input so if both are applied, the USB power goes no where (other than being monitored by the USB controller for status).

Last edited by a moderator:
Ravnos said:
peca said:
Xmas said:
Hm, I wonder what happens if you connect the host port to the OTG port...
self charge aka perpetum mobile :)

In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics!

Presumably it would register as charging, and still run out of power pretty quick. Probably it'd only get slightly confused unless the battery got very low, at which point, I suspect it might not warn you the battery was about to die, and just turn off (because as far as it's concerned, it is charging, so the battery being low isn't a problem).

Something like that, anyway...

I have trouble to understand the Advantage of USB Charging. ^_^ If I want to Charge the Pandora over USB I always have to fire up my PC, right? :lol:
Or does the AC Adapter comes also with a USB plug so I can charge the Pandora over the AC Jack OR the USB Jack with one Power Unit?

fusion_power said:
I have trouble to understand the Advantage of USB Charging. ^_^ If I want to Charge the Pandora over USB I always have to fire up my PC, right? :lol:
Or does the AC Adapter comes also with a USB plug so I can charge the Pandora over the AC Jack OR the USB Jack with one Power Unit?
I`ve never really understood usb charging myself either, I suppose it was implemented for convenience for those people that never leave their pc`s. Me, I just can`t see the point, Especially when you compare how many power sockets in an average house, Or any other building for that matter, To how many pc`s in the same location, And the fact that the average pc needs a power socket too. :rolleyes:

Couple that with the fact that it takes a lot longer to charge via usb, I just can`t see the appeal.

Trooper

The appeal to me is that I have lots of gadgets and each has it's own mains charger which is usually just a black box. I never know where all the chargers are, and I never know which goes with which device. A lot of them use the same connector and if you use the wrong one, it can mean smoke signals.

Over USB you know the device will always charge over a very easy to find and commonly used usb cable. It also means you can charge it at work or in the car (more cars these days are getting usb sockets built in) rather than trying to find a car adaptor for your device.

So overall, it makes the entire charging hassle much easier.

trooper said:
fusion_power said:
I`ve never really understood usb charging myself either, I suppose it was implemented for convenience for those people that never leave their pc`s. Me, I just can`t see the point, Especially when you compare how many power sockets in an average house, Or any other building for that matter, To how many pc`s in the same location, And the fact that the average pc needs a power socket too. :rolleyes:

Couple that with the fact that it takes a lot longer to charge via usb, I just can`t see the appeal.

Trooper

Well seeing as my computer is usally on full-time, usually downloading stuff from the net, it makes sense for me to charge via USB. Given that my computer and AV equipment are taking up all the plug sockets in my room (and then some!), and my PC has a good 3 or 4 free USB ports, it makes sense to me to charge things by USB where possible. Unfortunately my phone doesn't support USB charging which is a real pain.

Living out of a suitcase for a few weeks *really* makes you long for USB charging on everything!

When you've got you phone, music player, camera, GBA and laptop with you and have to take a separate charger for each, you really wish you could just take the one for your laptop and a USB cable. :)

(I'm hoping the Pandora will replace several of those gadgets, but still...)

Firefox said:
Living out of a suitcase for a few weeks *really* makes you long for USB charging on everything!

When you've got you phone, music player, camera, GBA and laptop with you and have to take a separate charger for each, you really wish you could just take the one for your laptop and a USB cable. :)

You can consolidate your music player and GBA by way of pandora, and you can also consolidate your camera and phone by buying a cameraphone. Then you'll just have the pandora, cameraphone, and laptop left :)

I've never seen a half-decent cameraphone, they just can't the pictures like a proper camera can.

Usb-Charger.jpg

Whats wrong with a couple of these, Saves you having to carry a computer around with you. :rolleyes:

PortableComputer.jpg

:p

Trooper

Firefox said:

I can understand that but what is more common with for ex. the iPod (which is USB charged unless you buy extra stuff for it)
I have my iPod with me all over, specially if I'm going away for ex. in the summer I often end up at friends summer places where they don't have a computer or likewise, so on the way there, then no problem music all the way, but then I can't use it there or on the way home :(

and to be honest I'm most likely going to use my Pandora more or less as a "laptop" in the sense that it will be the thing I take everywhere for email, movies etc, why have a Pandora if you carry your laptop to the same places? sure I can understand the fun of playing on it but it feels a bit redundant to have both and the Pandora fits in your pocket while the laptop needs much more space.

btw my Mobile (SE k810i) recharges via USB if that's connected, my mobile is my camera (and my internet), my music player is an iPod Nano (recharges via usb) and GBA and laptop, well that what Pandora will replace ;) (it could replace the ipod but would rather use memory and battery life for other stuff) :)

EDIT:
Tropper, if you throw in a few converters to match sockets in other countries then sure ;)

but that actually is a good perk with usb, same standard all over the world

Firefox said:

I've been living out of suitcases before, and a simple (although regulated) multi-voltage charger with a couple of interchangeable tips was all it took to keep my N800, Pepper Pad 3, P910i phone, Archos PMA430 and MP3 player charged and happy.

The biggest nuisance of USB charging is that it is (usually) topped off at 500 mA, meaning that it'll take up to three times as long to charge a battery and usually make it impossible to charge and use the device at the same time.

Not to drag this topic further off topic, but if you have a ton of USB devices to recharge, you can buy one cheap powered USB hub and plug them all into it - even if it's not hooked to a computer. Cheap hubs cost about as much as one AC-USB adapter and have the added benifit of being an actual hub when you DO have a computer to plug into :)

Squidge said:
I've never seen a half-decent cameraphone, they just can't the pictures like a proper camera can.
I was being kind of tongue-in-cheek.

Karel Jansens said:
The biggest nuisance of USB charging is that it is (usually) topped off at 500 mA, meaning that it'll take up to three times as long to charge a battery and usually make it impossible to charge and use the device at the same time.
Thats what I like about a couple of my devices, if they are connected to a PC that talks to them, they use upto 500mA. If they are connected to a AC-USB adaptor that just provides power, they'll soak upto 3 times that amount.

crazedover said:
Ah, then in that case you missed an emoticon!

Thats what I like about a couple of my devices, if they are connected to a PC that talks to them, they use upto 500mA. If they are connected to a AC-USB adaptor that just provides power, they'll soak upto 3 times that amount.

Interesting, we need that kind of behavior for Pandora.

CoMiKe said:

Interesting, we need that kind of behavior for Pandora.
I've found out how it works now too. The mini-usb socket actually has five pins. The PC only uses 4, so the fifth pin is left floating; on the power supply it is grounded, so device can detect the difference and charge accordingly.

crazedover said:
Squidge said:

sure they might not be anything like a professional system camera but imo there are some that can give decent pictures

Taken during drunken haze in a not so well lighted kitchen (size reduced) with my K810i

also with my K810i in a cellar room with one dimmer lamp on.

Macro picture, not the best in the world but ok for a mobile camera imo (K810i)

My dog outside (K810i)

Sure it ain't nothing I would put in a gallery but saying the quality isn't ok would be wrong imo?
It comes down to lights and the ok autofocus isn't the best bot works and xenon flash helps a lot in dark places, but you can't say it's not decent?

I know this was a bit OT :p but just couldn't not say it ^^

Haha forgot that the site blocked outside linking >_> fixed ;P

Back