Batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

craigix

Mega GP Mania
Website
twitter.com
Do you want as long a life as possible? Or less weight? Does anyone care how heavy the pandora is if it has 16 hours of battery life?

A large battery can weigh as much as 120grams.

Let us know what you think.

craigix said:
Do you want as long a life as possible? Or less weight? Does anyone care how heavy the pandora is if it has 16 hours of battery life?

A large battery can weigh as much as 120grams.

Let us know what you think.
I personally do not give a **** how much it weighs. If you can give me 16 hours of battery life you will be a god! After carrying a Sega Gamegear for many years you start to not care about weight

Last edited by a moderator:
For 16 hours, I'd wear a car battery around my neck.

Seriously, if I get a couple of movies, a bit of internetting and a few hours gaming between charges, I don't care what it weighs.

120 grams eh? That's noticeable, but not a dealbreaker. The entire thing shouldn't be too much heavier than the DS: 275 grams. PSP is 280 grams. So I think total aim should be about 300. Of course I don't really know what even 600 grams would feel like, the DS is pretty damn light.

So the question really relies on how heavy the entire thing would be, and how much would a light battery weigh? If we're talking about a difference of 50 grams, I'd definitely rather have the heavy one. If we're talking about 100 grams, I'm not sure. I guess what I'm asking is: What would be the ratio of weight to life?

16 hours? Damn that's long. That'd be amazing :)

EDIT: Just did a bit more research. Apparently a AA battery is 31 grams, so the battery you mentioned would be approx. the weight of 4 AAs. That's really light... I wouldn't foresee any objection. Heh, for 16 hours...wow! That's a pretty huge number!

Something that's important to me would be charging. I know that lots of rechargeable batteries die if you use them plugged in. Apparently the current would go through the battery to get to the device. Will the Pandora have this problem? If so, maybe you should consider having the battery easily removed (no screwdriver required) so that you can take it out if you want to use it plugged in.

Gruso said:
For 16 hours, I'd wear a car battery around my neck.

Seriously, if I get a couple of movies, a bit of internetting and a few hours gaming between charges, I don't care what it weighs.
Same for me, as big and long as possible even if it adds some weight. You get used to it and 120grams is not heavy even if you would add 120grams to old DS I still could use it without problems.

Considering that's the weight of 4 AA's, I think it's fairly easy to justify if it'd yield ~16 hours of use. As long as the device has good ergonomics, I hope the added weight won't be too noticable.

As long as we get a good 6 to 10 hours of HEAVY usage with either decent life, or moderately cheap replacement batteries, then I'll be very happy.

I can probably live without charging while it's on if that turns out to be a big issue.... BUT it must be able to swap between external power, and the battery, without interrupting the running programs.

While light weight is rather nice, more weight makes it feel more impressive and powerfull! It's like a supercomputer in your pocket. :lol:

Perhaps there could be a standard battery and a extended runtime battery that is heavier? Best of both worlds :)

Depends. If we can plug it in and have it start charging while using it without interruption then i would prefer lighter over longer lasting. If plugging it in interrupts use in someway then i would prefer the heavier, longer lasting, battery.

Squidge said:
Perhaps there could be a standard battery and a extended runtime battery that is heavier? Best of both worlds :)
External battery that connects to the ac port? could clip under the device or stay in pocket. It would be good if when pandora get's older we would see better batteries that are possible at that time, internal and external.

Squidge said:
That would be the best solution.

are we talking about the actual size of the batteries, or just the weight?
what about prices? heat generated by the battery? life of the battery?

maybe im getting too technical and should just answer the question...
the longer the battery life, the better... i dont think i would wear a car battery around my neck tho :p

Battery life definitely, the device is an all in one gadget so I'm guessing the kind of people who will buy it all prefer functionality over weight/looks anyway.
I imagine a larger battery would be required for using the usb ports for any length of time or for emulators that require some form of overclocking.

As long it doesnt pull my trousers down when it's in my pocket that'll be fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back