Smaller Batteries?

WizardStan said:
nikkopt said:
The thing that i like so much about this project is that it's being built to be as open as possible, even at the hardware level. MWeston made it so easy for us to change and add things internally, you even have extra pads for extra LED's. But the team will lose lots of money just by letting people mod the console, even if it's just adding a LED. Imagine, someone open its pandora and lets a screw driver fall into the board, a small resistor pops out with the impact.. no problem, OP team will fix it for free. A guy knows so much what he's doing that he connects a 9V battery to the 2nd shoulder button pads, killing its unit in the process (i don't know if it does, it's just an example).. no visible damage was done, let him send the console back because it will be repaired for free.. You can kill it in so many ways just by doing little things (if you don't know what you're doing), leaving no visible damage.
Yeah, I don't see where you're going with this. Both those circumstances leave obvious traces that the person was either not being careful or not responsible. No warranty should protect you from being careless or stupid. Their warranty is a little looser in that, days or weeks after you've opened it up and successfully soldered new buttons on, if it breaks down they'll look into it. Standard warranties void the instant you open it.

Dude, i gave 2 stupid examples on how you can kill your pandora without leaving any visible damage. As far as i know, when something is being repaired under warranty, they actually look for physical damage in the unit and not if the owner of the device is mentally retarded and careless.
My english must be worst that i thought.
Anyway, MWeston answered.. i'm done with this subject
:p

Last edited by a moderator:
borgqueenx said:
5 pages already....people really want a battery with less capacity to reduce the weight of something so light already?

Well, a battery split in half along the long axis would certainly open up quite a bit of space for some modding.

Not that I would, I love long battery lives :lol:

borgqueenx said:
5 pages already....people really want a battery with less capacity to reduce the weight of something so light already?

I don't think you have been reading the thread. Let me put things into perspective for you.

Pandora weighs 335g with the battery.

PSP 1000 weighs 260g. And that thing IS heavy in your pockets.

Something like the iPhone is what I would called light. Thats 135g.

How is the Pandora exactly 'so light already'? :p

Do you see my concern with reasonable thought?

What is the weight of the battery? I do not see this information anywhere. I estimate it at about 150g, but hard data will be nice to have.

as someone who uses small (unprotected) LiPo batteries from 800mah up to 3200mah in my model aircraft and has a lot of experience on how to kill em, LiPo cells have this thing called C, it`s the rate you can discharge a cell, that relates to how much current they can supply (volts times amps = watts), lower capacity cells have a lower C and start to drop off voltage if drawn against for too long, drop in voltage causes more amp draw, so things get worse fast, your lighter battery might run Pandora for 45mins then the voltage drops too low to run the device and Pandora gets flakey or reboots, or the battery balloons and splits open the case, or starts to smoke or burn, leave the powerpack alone, what are you anyway?, a 3lb stick insect? :p , Pandora doesn`t have any weight worth talking about, I have more than that in individual gadgets dotted around me (2 phones, mp4 player, portable HD, 2 memsticks, spare batteries, GP2Xf200, Pocketsurfer, Palm tungsten, camera, torch, toolkit etc, when out mending PC`s), sounds like you need the exercise if you consider 340g "heavy" (jk) :D (seriously, that's not even a decent box of chocolates, you can buy standard choc bars heavier than that)

"I could get a chocolate bar or a Pandora. The Pandora weighed less, so I chose that one."

CONFIRMED: Pandora > Chocolate.

Commence lawsuits from LG.

mali said:
It is OK for such a powerful battery, I would always choice a huge battery life over eveything else. But why is the pandora itself so heavy without the Battery? is it the LCD, the Case, the PCB, Speakers? Of course it is somehow everything together, it sounds like we will have a very durable and tough Case to support the weight.

hobbyman II said:
as someone who uses small (unprotected) LiPo batteries from 800mah up to 3200mah in my model aircraft and has a lot of experience on how to kill em, LiPo cells have this thing called C, it`s the rate you can discharge a cell, that relates to how much current they can supply (volts times amps = watts), lower capacity cells have a lower C and start to drop off voltage if drawn against for too long, drop in voltage causes more amp draw, so things get worse fast, your lighter battery might run Pandora for 45mins then the voltage drops too low to run the device and Pandora gets flakey or reboots, or the battery balloons and splits open the case, or starts to smoke or burn, leave the powerpack alone, what are you anyway?, a 3lb stick insect? :p , Pandora doesn`t have any weight worth talking about, I have more than that in individual gadgets dotted around me (2 phones, mp4 player, portable HD, 2 memsticks, spare batteries, GP2Xf200, Pocketsurfer, Palm tungsten, camera, torch, toolkit etc, when out mending PC`s), sounds like you need the exercise if you consider 340g "heavy" (jk) :D (seriously, that's not even a decent box of chocolates, you can buy standard choc bars heavier than that)

It's about comfort, not that I can't lift a 340g handheld. I carry a backpack with a 10 pound laptop and gear, as well as lots of paper work and stationary for a few hours a day commuting. I don't have a problem with the weight of all that gear, but it would certainly be nice to carry less around. If I want a work out, I'll go to the gym (which I do). :p

Anyway, I got my answers already. :)

MDave said:
borgqueenx said:

I don't think you have been reading the thread. Let me put things into perspective for you.

Nope. I used to carry around a 700g graphing calculator in high school, and I was fine.

Buy a belt.

I think I do with with my headphones soft case (the case came included) was to hook it to my belt just above the pocket. This way it rests half way in the pocket, yet it's secure enough so theres no risk of it falling out of the pocket..

I think that's what I'll be doing with Pandora. It's kinda annoying having too many things in the pocket all shuffled at the bottom, makes it hard to find one specific thing. Hopefully it will be easy to add a small carabiner or something that makes it easy to hook/unhook it from the belt.

Alec  said:
MDave said:
borgqueenx said:

Nope. I used to carry around a 700g graphing calculator in high school, and I was fine.

Buy a belt.

Read my last post. And not everyone is the same.

The Pandora weighs ~340 g (0.75 lbs).

Lithium polymer batteries have an energy density of around 180 Wh/kg (per 1kg of battery you could draw 180W for an hour, 18W for 10 h, etc)

Our battery is 3.7v and 4200mAh, so 4.2Ah, and since Wh = (V*A)*h or V*Ah, we have 15.54 Wh.

Presuming the density is 180Wh/kg, our battery is around (15.54/180) = 0.086333 kg, 86.3 grams (0.190 lbs)

Halving the battery size would reduce the weight from ~340g(0.75 lbs) to ~297g (0.65 lbs), saving only 12.6% of the mass.

I doubt the cell WILL catch fire or explode from being drained excessively , if you REALY need a lighter battery then the best way would be to dismantle the existing pack and replace the LiPo inside with another, electrical skills will be required, plus your battery meter may be off (although it may be possible to recalibrate it), the big sticker is if you can reprogram the battery charge manager to charge the LiPo properly, too much charge and the pack will either blow up like a balloon or catch fire (assuming the circuit inside the pack doesn`t protect it from thermal runaway), IF you can alter the charge manager then you should be OK, but until we see a real Pandora in the "flesh" then we don't know if this is possible yet, so, wait and see I guess.

Back