Battery Panic

atiflz

GP2X Enthusiast
Website
twitter.com
I didn't use my 2x for about one month and a half and after that, i saw it won't boot. I thought the batteries were dead because the device works perfectly with power adapter. But no, it doesn't work with a new fresh pair of AAs. It is out of warranty so I need to do something myself. Do you have any suggestion? I suspect filter capacitors at the batteries.

ati said:
I didn't use my 2x for about one month and a half and after that, i saw it won't boot. I thought the batteries were dead because the device works perfectly with power adapter. But no, it doesn't work with a new fresh pair of AAs. It is out of warranty so I need to do something myself. Do you have any suggestion? I suspect filter capacitors at the batteries.
Scrape the contacts.
Try another set of batteries.
Try putting a 3v power adaptor directly on the battery clips.

More than likely, it's just gunge on the battery clips/springs. That happens if you leave batteries in something for a long while.

Short of that, take it apart and test your hunch but I think it's much more likely to be something simple rather than an actual board component... loose contacts or bad solder contact with the battery clips, etc. I see caps fail on motherboards all the time but they take YEARS to do it, and they get worse with use, not rest (and even then, only if the motherboard manufacturer bought those crappy stolen-design capacitors - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague).

When finding a dead device (anything from a remote control, to a drill), I suspect the battery itself first (especially if its charge has not been managed properly), then the battery connectors and then the device itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, external 3V source doesn't work. But battery contacts seem to be OK(i checked the resistance between actual contact and the solder on the other side of the board)
I guess I'm going to do a dirty hack, feeding a battery through adapter input.

Back