Sd Slot Causing Power Failure?

SeanLaF

Still Fresh
I've tested everything I can and have finally narrowed down my issue... While using either (fresh) batteries or an AC adapter my GP2X dies when an SD card is inserted, multiple cards that previously worked and are still good cards. If the SD card is in the unit when it's turned on, the green light turns on but it won't boot at all. Leaving the card out, it operates like normal with batteries or adapter. When it dies because of the card being inserted, it's exactly like when the batteries die, lines on the screen and it locks up. It seems to happen when the SD card is about 2/3 inserted, perhaps this is when the card starts to receive power and there's some sort of short?

I saw a recent thread where someone's SD card slot totally failed and everyone suggested he send it in for repair and that there was a batch with faulty SD slots recently. Is the warranty with GPH? The company I bought mine from disappeared right after they opened up leaving a BUNCH of people without a unit, luckily i received mine (OmniInstruments/gp2xzone.com, the guy's name was richard)... But i'm not sure where that leaves me as far as a warranty!

any help would be super appreciated!!

thanks
Sean

bump?

Can anyone tell me if a warranty is through GPH or if it would have been through the retailer?

thank you.

Your contract would be with the company you bought it from, so it would be that company you should return it to, should it be less than 12 months old.

No idea about your problem though, it's the first I've heard.

If you have no warranty, you have two choices.

1) Pay someone like EvilDragon to repair it for you (PM him).

2) Do the repair yourself. If you have any SD card reader lying about (don't we all, they are cheap), you can desolder the SD card slot from it, desolder the one on the GP2x and solder the new one in its place - like for like. Use desoldering braid or desolder pump for this work.

Back