Best Game Ever

This is one of those threads where everybody clicks Reply and posts without reading the existing replies. Meh. FWIW, my favourite game ever is probably Deus Ex. As long as Final Fantasy VII and nowhere near as repetitive. Second game would perhaps be MGS (original), Sam & Max or SimCity 2000 ...

Rigor Mortis posted on May 18 2004 at 09:19 PM said:
Deus Ex/Deus Ex 2 PC - The second one, while still engrossing, isn't as good as the first due to a few design decisions, but I include it as if they were one large game as it brings closure to the story of the first.
I heard so much crap about that game. Patched to 1.1 or 1.2, I found it just as fun as the original but shorter. Graphics ran fine for me, AI was better in most places but various glaring omissions (would be better if it used Thief 3-style AI where guards notice opened vents, etc. and don't say 'where did he go' as soon as you climb a ladder). Consolification didn't really bother me; I actually prefer the inventory, didn't notice the scope or ammo. Only real problem I had was the loading times: generally 30 seconds and it happens a LOT due to the stupid Xbox 64mb memory. Compare Liberty Island in DE (an entire island with docks & a full statue with multiple floors and guard outposts) to DE2 (split into two parts, statue area much smaller, dock ends branching through doorways to external maps). I was disappointed at the lack of open-air areas where you could overlook the entire level, snipe etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Counter Strike - "Go Go Go!!!"

Marvel vs Capcom 2 - gots to love the insanity

WWE Smackdown Bring the Pain - CAWS kick ass! B)

ok i know i did my faves but after reading more there are some forgotten titles which deserve mention.

Blaster Master on NES - still impresses me to this day. A/V perfection, metroid fun gameplay, they were on crack when they made this. why does this game not get the respect it deserves? the true hardcores never do.

mega man 1+2 are still tons of fun. so is SMB 1, Zelda 1, life force, contra. Ok so I'm a bit of a NES head, and eveyrone knows these games.. but still. They're just the best of the best!

on Genesis, we had the Shinobi series, sonic (I don't remember 3 so well), thunderforce and musha. SNES had spaaaaaaaace megaforce (presented by toho).

And PCE had galaga '90 which is a perfect portable game..

Mikey posted on May 18 2004 at 07:58 PM said:
1) Elite - Any system
2) Bubble Bobble - Arcade
3) Astro wars - tabletop game by Grandstand (aka galaxy 2 by Epoch)
astro wars kicked so much A$$ my head nearly exploded... and firefox F7 *did* hyper-expand my cranium :D

oh, and has anyone mentioned paper mario yet?

sensible GP32 posted on May 19 2004 at 02:09 PM said:
Sensible Soccers not fit to sniff Kick Off 2`s football boots after a match!

sorry, you must be suffering from some major illness to think that.
I cant run Seni Soccer on either Snes or Megadrive emulators for GP32 :(

The Megadrive version doesnt run at all, and the snes one quit that game, which ever button i press.

Well I think that these are the ultimate 3 best games of all time, and I mean when these came out :-

SWOS
Goldeneye
GTA III

My Top Games are -

Advanced Lawnmower Sim - Spectrum
E.T - Atari
3D Monster Maze - ZX81
Last Battle - Megadrive

Or Am i taking the piss ?

Its hard to say as its hard to compare across genres,
one thing I will say in relation to what is probally on other people's lists- Halo, Goldeneye and Mario 64 aren't very good imo.

Suikoden 2
Europa Universalis 2
Frontier Elite

Josquius posted on May 21 2004 at 05:30 PM said:
Its hard to say as its hard to compare across genres,
one thing I will say in relation to what is probally on other people's lists- Halo, Goldeneye and Mario 64 aren't very good imo.

:huh:

Have to disagree there.

Its all a matter of taste, but Halo & Mario 64 are amongst only a handful of games given 10 out of 10 by Edge (I think GT and Zelda are the only others), which I regard as the best mag going around. And although they didn't give Goldeneye a 10 at the time, I think they later regretted it :D

What surprises me is all the votes for Frontier Elite. I thought it was a complete mess, it took so long to make (because it was rediculously big) that the graphics were apalling by the time it came out, the combat was really pedestrian compared to the original and it was just boring.

I remember every magazine giving it amazing reviews so I rushed out and bought it, then my subscription Amiga Power (best magazine ever) came and gave it about 64%, they were right...

Wind Waker suck me in more than any game. It was over the summer and I played for like 4 days straight without sleeping until I beat it.

Back