Best Gbc Emu?

JyuOH

Still Fresh
Well I tried to search but i couldn't find anything that related to my question. Can anyone tell me what the best gameboy color emulater is? I'd like to play some "pokemans" =D

I think there are a couple very primitive copy-paste SDL ports that are halfway broken from when the system was first released. But Gnuboy2x is really a pretty excellent emulator for the only game in town.

Anyone know if K-Teto's still working on it? A while back he slipped me a pre-beta with ZIP and SRAM support to play Final Fantasy Legend, but I haven't seen any news since.

0.7 (with SRAM support) is available from gp32spain's archive, if I remember correctly.

GnuBoy2x is a brilliant emulator, helping me massively in my continuing mission to finish all the old Zelda games on the GP2x...

The latest release I know of (0.6b) is here

Through Google I recently found an internal Beta WIP gnuboy2x 0.7 here and it seems to work fine.

Here is a Babelfish Frenglish translation of the comments there:

K-Teto passed internal beta of this emulator to JoJo_ReloadeD, and it authorized to him to publish it so that we see the advanced ones that it made above. The innovations which it includes are: - Corrected the flickering in the menu with firmwares 2.0 - Support SRAM. It is always active(elle cannot be decontaminated). Always record when one leaves the MENU. Do not extinguish the console right after having recorded the play, leave to the menu. - Support STN (Clock in the plays like pokemon). This one is recorded in the file with the same name and its value is charged by questioning the play. - initial Support of color in mono plays GB. To choose this support, you use the option of color "brown" in the menu - Support partial of roms ZIPPE (Ca blocks with the roms 2mb) To use this new version, decompress in the same repertory that the version précedente, and obviously replace the files of the version précedente. By carrying out it, repertory SRAM and STN will be creeront in this same repertory. I remind to you that it is INTERNAL BETA consequently bugs can still exist, this version can thus be slightly unstable. To use has your risk and danger.

halo9 posted on Aug 1 2006 at 12:59 PM said:
Through Google I recently found an internal Beta WIP gnuboy2x 0.7 here and it seems to work fine.

Yeah, I think that's the one he passed me. I seem to be having problem with a lot of games that DON'T use SRAM (Escape from Camp Deadly, e.g.)

I'm going to have to connect up to the PC again and test it out to see if I can figure out why.

UPDATE: 08/03/06 10:46 (GMT -5) Yep, it's the SRAM system all right. Any game I've tested[0] that uses SRAM works, and any one that doesn't...well, doesn't.

I'll try and find out how to report the bug, in case he is still working on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
K-teto´s GnuBoy is near perfection :) One of the best GP2X emulators.
I´m enjoying Top Ranking Tennis, Nemesis II, Zelda and a lot more games like i enjoy them years ago.

Thank you K-teto.

Sorry for my english.

I've shot him an email with the bug in 0.7 and some captured text output. I hope he doesn't think I'm trying to bust his chops. That is the point of a beta, right?

He's definitely got a fan in me now.

I clocked in around 12 hours of Pokemon Yellow last week, on GNUBoy2X.

It is really a great emulator, I love it. It brings back great memories of the gameboy era... and I also see some of the games I use to like are just complete crap, marketed to drooling idiots. But there are some few gems, namely Pokemon - which are still fun, before they screwed it up with the thousands of moronic pokemon added, and lack-luster expansions.

Halo9, are you able to open zip-compressed, non-battery games with it? For some reason, those seem to hang it up on mine.

GeminiDomino posted on Aug 7 2006 at 05:08 AM said:

Halo9, are you able to open zip-compressed, non-battery games with it? For some reason, those seem to hang it up on mine.

Hi, all my roms are unzipped and the menu doesn't seem to see zipped ones. This 'private' release doesn't have a readme, but that from previous versions states that ROMs must be unzipped. Let me know a couple of battery /non-battery games specifically and I'll try them for you. I don't know too much about Gameboy stuff...

halo9 posted on Aug 7 2006 at 03:39 PM said:
GeminiDomino posted on Aug 7 2006 at 05:08 AM said:

Hi, all my roms are unzipped and the menu doesn't seem to see zipped ones. This 'private' release doesn't have a readme, but that from previous versions states that ROMs must be unzipped. Let me know a couple of battery /non-battery games specifically and I'll try them for you. I don't know too much about Gameboy stuff...

Strange. The copy he slipped me has zip support as well as SRAM. Maybe he took it back out and you have a later WIP version... Failures fresh in my memory are The Simpsons - Escape from Camp Deadly and Battletoads.

Hrm... I'll have to delete some roms if I have to unzip them all. :)

Back