Best Handheld For Emulation

well unless you looked on ebay, you wont really be able to find a psp with 1.5 on it, and 1.5 is where the homebrews at.

I have and psp and had 1.5 but the homebrew was horrible on it, not 1 snes game played fullspeed, the gba emulator got like 2 fps and could only play 1 rom because there was no selector. And yesterday I updated to 2.6 firmware, with 2.6 you can only play homebrew with a hacked gamesave, and then you have to load gta and then load you homebrew.

homebrew on the psp is really annoying, thats why im ordering my gp2x today :D

I just wondered if anybody had something as interesting as growth rates, looking at something like emulation64 which posts both. It seems like the GP2X is killing the PSP. In terms of lauches/updates, but this could be artifical as the PSP has been out that much longer.

Well, I didn't want to spend so much money on a PSP and a DS sucks (no emulation, no games that I like on it), and plus the PSP is blocking emulation now. And I'm not paying the same price as a PC game to play on a small little console - so I chose the GP2X simply because it does everything I want and it's cheaper. :)

For the price of a PSP + a 1 gig memstick you could buy all of this:

GP2X + 1 gb SD card
2nd hand GBA SP
Supercard SD-GBA adapter + 256mb SD (which will hold ~50 GBA ROMs)

Then you get all the GBA goodness you could ever want on the REAL hardware, plus all the other emulation you mentioned, which either already is or will be (in Amiga & SNES case) better on GP2X than PSP.

Good solution, eh?

PSP Bundle Pack: $250
Two PSP Games: $80
1gb Memory Stick: $100
Extra Battery Pack: $40
--------------------------
Total: $470

NDS w/ Mario Kart DS: $150
Router for Nintendo WFC: $30
GP2X w/ Dave's Cap: $180
Batteries w/ Charger: $20
1gb SD Card: $40
256mb SD Card: $10
Supercard SD: $40
--------------------------------
Total: $470

Column B seems to have a lot more stuff in it... :D

Plus a big bag to haul all that stuff. Maybe a moron, or some negroes.

(Stanley/Livingstone/exploration/dark Africa reference, if someone considers negroe offensive, then he is a twat. If someone considers twat offensive... :) )

nickspoon posted on Feb 13 2006 at 06:16 PM said:
And you had to gravedig to ask that... why?

Because it is of utmost importance and needed to be answered immediately, lest everyone suffer the consequences of not knowing why Amiga emulation is "not possible".

Well, I didn't want to spend so much money on a PSP and a DS sucks (no emulation, no games that I like on it), and plus the PSP is blocking emulation now. And I'm not paying the same price as a PC game to play on a small little console - so I chose the GP2X simply because it does everything I want and it's cheaper. smile.gif

DS has emulators. It also has ScummVM - and it makes use of the touchscreen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anhaedra posted on Feb 13 2006 at 09:31 PM said:
makes use of the touchscreen.
Nice!

One question. Ive already got a passme2. What is a good flash card that works with it for the ds? And nothing too expensive like the m3, and maybe a link to something too :D

Thanks.

The MP2 is available from Lik-Sang for only 25 dollars. Buy a decent CF card and your set.

Anhaedra posted on Feb 14 2006 at 02:31 AM said:
DS has emulators. It also has ScummVM - and it makes use of the touchscreen.

But how can you display emulators and PC ports that were 320 x 200 or 320 x 240 on a 256 x 192 DS screen? Sounds craptastic to me ;)

I would rather have the full version on the Gp2X.

Sircrisp posted on Feb 13 2006 at 07:36 PM said:
well unless you looked on ebay, you wont really be able to find a psp with 1.5 on it, and 1.5 is where the homebrews at.

I have and psp and had 1.5 but the homebrew was horrible on it, not 1 snes game played fullspeed, the gba emulator got like 2 fps and could only play 1 rom because there was no selector. ...

homebrew on the psp is really annoying, thats why im ordering my gp2x today :D

Well to be fair there is no GBA emulation on the GP2X. The GP2X SNES emu is not full speed either and has skippy sound and no transparencies. SNES honestly is much better on the PSP and probably always will be. Other than that the GP2X is great.

Jarska333 posted on Feb 13 2006 at 07:01 PM said:
0-bake posted on Feb 13 2006 at 08:27 PM said:
I am very sure that the GP2X will at some point surpass the PSP in terms of emulation and homebrew, and there's just that small matter with the PSP of Sony sticking patches here and there to stop unsigned code running. You never know, they may come up with some bright idea which kills PSP homebrew altogether. At least you know GPH won't do that to you.
i never understood the contra with the firmware upgrades/patches.
if you want to use your PSP for homebrew/emulation then don't upgrade your firmware!

with the GP2X you can't play GTA as well.....
Eh, it's quite likely, that even if one is a friend of emulation, one would still want to play the actuall PSP games as well. And no, solution is not "get two PSP's!"
i still don't get it. ifyou want full emulation with your 1.5 PSP, then don't play commercial games that require higher firmwares.

as i said before: with the GP2X you can't play commercial PSP games as well. so where is this a disadvatage of the FW1.5 PSP?

I'm thinking about jumping on the boat from the zodiac side... how do you think things are progressing? should I hold off for a few months, I'm not afraid to adopt early, I just don't want to end up purchasing a redundant console... I was always interested in the gp32, but the gp2x seems to be where it's at... I don't think it's looking bad for being 3 months old...

SousaPro posted on Feb 16 2006 at 03:59 PM said:
I'm thinking about jumping on the boat from the zodiac side... how do you think things are progressing? should I hold off for a few months, I'm not afraid to adopt early, I just don't want to end up purchasing a redundant console... I was always interested in the gp32, but the gp2x seems to be where it's at... I don't think it's looking bad for being 3 months old...

The psx emu should be playable [not fullspeed] soon once proper frameskip comes out. Which is already done, he just hasnt released it yet :eek:

SousaPro posted on Feb 16 2006 at 07:02 PM said:
that's awesome... how about on the other fronts?
There's a wiki, the link to which is in my sig (and lots of other places).

As far as emulation, this is how I feel about the systems I care about:
95% Genesis
40% SNES
85% Gameboy/Color
75% NeoGeo
50% SMS/GG
80% NES
25% PSX
85% PC Engine

Plus or minus some points here and there; I'm not really good with these kinds of things :p

iignotus posted on Feb 17 2006 at 12:14 AM said:

95% Genesis
40% SNES
85% Gameboy/Color
75% NeoGeo
50% SMS/GG
80% NES
25% PSX
85% PC Engine

Plus or minus some points here and there; I'm not really good with these kinds of things :p

I think those numbers can be a bit confusing. NeoGeo 75% what exactly is that refering to? Does it mean games run at 75% of the speed? Does that mean it runs 75% of the games? I am not trying to be rude I just don't want people to think that the emus are worse than they are.

For example NeoGeo at 75% doesn't sound so great. But yet NeoGeo runs many games at full speed slight FS with sound on at 11025 KHz. That sounds much more playable which it is.

iignotus posted on Feb 16 2006 at 07:14 PM said:

95% Genesis
40% SNES
85% Gameboy/Color
75% NeoGeo
50% SMS/GG
80% NES
25% PSX
85% PC Engine

Ya, um to my knowledge GB/GBC runs at fullspeed right now.

Back