Best PS1 games thread

^^ Meh, I forgot my favourite PS1 fighting game.

I had the japanese version that was called Soul Edge, Battle Arena Toshinden was a pretty good too…

Recently bought Suikoden on PSN, back in the days I spent a few days at a friend's home to translate the game dialogs for him
laugh.gif

So Suikoden +1

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember playing Suikoden some time ago. I was eager to play Suikoden 2 and ordered it cheap from ebay, but when the disk arrived I saw I had failed, for I had ordered the PAL version! Even though this strictly was not a problem as I was playing them emulated, the savegames from my NTSC Suikoden 1 could not be imported into the PAL Suikoden 2. I set it aside and vowed to find an NTSC version, and then promptly forgot about it for 10 years. I'll have to try and track down that copy now, replay the original, and do things right :)

Well, let's start with the fairly obvious ones:

Final Fantasy VII and Tekken 3

I can't understand how anybody who has played (through) these games wouldn't recommend them.

Breath of Fire III and IV

The III has a better story, but IV has better game mechanics. I'd still recommend III.

Chrono Cross

Sequel to Chrono Trigger (and Radical Dreamers), but not even nearly as good. Nice intro and soundtrack. And I mean REALLY good soundtrack. But no PAL version available.

Megaman X4

Otherwise I would recommend the X5 because of the power-up system similar to Rockman&Forte, but I didn't like how in X5 they tied it to the first-time-completion of levels (without even any adequate explanation, IIRC), not to mention the "time variant" with the story. Furthermore, X4 quite nicely fulfills the story between the original series and the X series.

And this is a rare gem: Blaze and Blade - Eternal Quest

Simply the best (*) co-op action-RPG ever made (but if you have nobody to play it with, you'll miss most of the fun). Even up to four players. Eight classes to choose from: warrior, elf, wizard, priest, hunter, rogue, dwarf, fairy. AWESOME! But you probably won't find it anywhere, so you can just forget about it...

(*): Even the Mana-series comes second with the co-op part. But other recommendations ARE welcome.

And this is a rare gem: Blaze and Blade - Eternal Quest
Simply the best (*) co-op action-RPG ever made (but if you have nobody to play it with, you'll miss most of the fun). Even up to four players. Eight classes to choose from: warrior, elf, wizard, priest, hunter, rogue, dwarf, fairy. AWESOME! But you probably won't find it anywhere, so you can just forget about it...

Sounds good to me, anything Gauntlet-y appeals - although I have to admit, this review of the (supposedly inferior) PC version is pretty funny.

Metal Gear Solid and MGS: VR Missions - If you haven't played a Metal Gear or started later in the series, definitely go back and play this.

Megaman X 4, 5, and 6 - As Attu said, I would recommend 4 as it is my favorite. 6 is the most challenging of the 32-bit games, and I like it for that.

Megaman 8 - Another good Megaman game that has a cool item shop system.

Megaman Legends 1 and 2 - It's like Ocarina of Time, but with a futuristic setting. I strongly suggest you play them if you haven't.

G. Darius - Great Shmup with 3D graphics and an enemy capture system. Really fun with a friend

R-Type Delta - Another awesome 3D Shmup with multiple ships to play as.

Apocalypse - Bruce Willis: The Video Game

Team Buddies - Fun and original multiplayer game my friend showed me.

Legend of Dragoon - My favorite RPG.

Worms Armageddon - The best version of Worms. Great for the Pandora because it only requires one controller.

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night - Huge platformer with RPG-like elements and various equipment to collect.

Bomberman Fantasy Race - My vote for most fun racer on the Playstation.

Ace Combat 2 - Air combat game. It focuses less on realism and more on fast and fun gameplay.

Gundam Battle Assault - Gundam fighting game.

I laughed when I read Blaze and Blade :lol: It was absolute CACK. One of the worst rpgs games I have ever played... Still, each to thier own.

Megaman X4

Otherwise I would recommend the X5 because of the power-up system similar to Rockman&Forte, but I didn't like how in X5 they tied it to the first-time-completion of levels (without even any adequate explanation, IIRC), not to mention the "time variant" with the story. Furthermore, X4 quite nicely fulfills the story between the original series and the X series.
I couldn't bring myself to recommend X5 because of how Alia is always stopping you to chat. :lol: As far as X4, it doesn't fill any gaps at all - that was debunked a long time ago, and then again by some of the folks behind that game about two years ago. :p It is a thoroughly excellent game, though - I would have mentioned it myself, but I tend to prefer the Classic series, so I just listed 8.

Regarding that B&B review:

That sure is funny! And yes, I didn't mention it: the storyline and dialogue is kind of ... bad. And I really want to emphasize this before anyone gets their hopes up: CO-OP. Do NOT play it by yourself.

And about the X4:

Wasn't this the first game that made any serious link between Wily and Zero? Or is there something in the latter games (after X6) that changes the whole story? I haven't played them yet...

And about the X4:

Wasn't this the first game that made any serious link between Wily and Zero? Or is there something in the latter games (after X6) that changes the whole story? I haven't played them yet...
It wasn't, no. The second arcade game (released a year beforehand, in 1996) established it first. I believe I may have misunderstood you a bit, it seems! See the below spoiler.

What I was referring to is the still fairly common misconception about that flashback that Zero has near to the start of X4. That's actually Sigma's unit he's remembering.

I'll stop here, as I don't want to go off-topic. :p I'm happy to chat about it via PM if you want, though.

In no particular order:

Ape Escape

FFIX

Metal Gear Solid

Spyro

Crash Team Racing

Crash Bandicoot

Einhander

Syndicate Wars

There's no accounting for taste. ;)

"Medal of Honor", and "Medal of Honor Underground" are among my favourite games of all time. "Parasite Eve 2" is also a stunning game. I also liked "007 Racing", and "Tomorrow Never Dies" is also fun - so are the "Syphon Filter" games, and I want to complete "Silent HIll". Personally I'm not into shitty "Final Fantasy" bollocks. "Metal Gear Solid" and "Worms Armageddon" are good fun too.

Not exactly a game, but Music/Music 2000 is good fun. Nice, simple dance music creation. You can knock up a track within a few minutes. Admittedly your creation is unlikely to storm the charts but you can kill a lot of time messing around with this.

I'd also highly recommend Worms Armageddon; I've spent many hours playing this with friends. :)

Grandia - Originally a sega saturn game. This game is great on the playstation, and has gameplay similar to the Lunar Series. The battle system is very good.
Seconding this one. Also props to you for good taste overall. I was expecting not to see grandia at all in this thread as it's fairly obscure and considered a "hidden gem" among the sea of RPGs for the PS1. Surprisingly the very first post has it, so I am very pleased :)

To add a couple titles of my own:

Azure Dreams - An RPG with gameplay similar to the "Unemployed Ninja Izuna" for DS, mixed with monster Rancher. The idea is to climb to the top of a massive tower dungeon with 100 floors. The catch? Your level resets every time you enter it. You have to use a combination of good monster choices and items in order to make it to the top.

Silent Bomber - An Action game with great gameplay. Story and Voice acting are subpar, aside from the main villain who is voiced by the same person as Legato in Trigun :) The game is incredibly fun to play though, and has good replay value as you compete to rank S each level.

Omega Boost - An Action/Shmup similar to Macross VFX2 and Robotech Battlecry. Known widely for it's amazing soundtrack and fun, addicting gameplay. It is difficult, but not difficult enough to make your ragequit. This is probably my favorite non-RPG for the PS1.

Adding one that I forgot before;

The Adventure of Little Ralph - Platformer - A nicely-polished platform game which some Western importers would have you believe is very rare and *VERY* expensive, when it actually, thankfully, is not - you can actually still buy brand new, sealed copies of this game from Japan for a fairly reasonable price. The Adventure of Little Ralph is best described as what would be spat out if you were to put a bunch of excellent platformers into a platformer-loving blender. You play as Ralph, a warrior who’s been transformed into a child by a squadron of demons who have descended on the world, and who has to set things right. The game has a lot of personality, and whilst it doesn't really bring any brand new ideas to the table, what it offers it does well. If you're a platformer fan, you're very likely to spot elements that will remind you, with fondness, of other great games - Ralph’s sword-swinging may remind you of Zero in Mega Man X4, the floating fruits which appear from nowhere will put you in mind of Adventure Island and Wonderboy, and the way you can bowl some enemies over with other enemies is somewhat reminiscent of some of the enemies in Super Mario World 2: Yoshi’s Island. Along with all this, it's packed with tons of cute and clever touches and attention-to-detail. It's well worth the price.

+1 for Chrono Cross - it's a fantastic game in it's own right but unfortunately doesn't live up to Chrono Trigger (and anyone expecting a good tie-in with Chrono Trigger would, I think, be sorely disappointed by the game). Too bad the PSX port of Chrono Trigger was nearly unplayable (plus they modified the ending to explain events in the "sequel").

But on the subject of Square games - also check out Vagrant Story.

+1 also for Rollcage, it was my favourite sci-fi racer for a long long time.

I think I haven't seen anyone mention the obvious Gran Turismo 2, though?

Oh, and "Sheep, Dog 'n' Wolf" is one of the best cartoon-based games I've seen.

Also, on the subject of cartoon games, "Asterix: The Gallic War" was a great variation on "North & South", for those who enjoy a light and humourous strategy game with platform sub-games.

Only 1 mention of Bushido Blade?

BushidoBlade-e1266778361802.jpg

Was different enough to be fun, wounding enemies, slicing tree's down, stabbing stuff with swords. It's all good :)

Hang on, no Tomb Raider yet? :blink:

I'm sure everyone knows, but Tomb Raider is a 3D adventure game series. Play as Lara Croft as she goes after various artefacts and treasures. Shoot animals, solve puzzles, jump across platforms, hang from ledges, swim, etc. etc.

They are some of the best selling games for the Playstation, and I'm sure they helped shift a lot of consoles too.

Definitely "must play" games.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/UjLPL1alVBU?feature=oembed

Back