Best RPG game (including emulated ones) for GP32?

Hazel

Still Fresh
Hi

While I'm waiting for my console to arrive, I'd like to know what good RPGs are playable on GP32? I know there is Astonishia Story but I don't have enough cash to buy an official game after buying the console :(

So what RPGs do you play on your GP32s?
I would be especially interested in games like Breath of Fire, FF3 and above all Chrono Trigger (because I've already started it on a Snes emu on my PC :) - does any SNES emulator handle them?
Maybe any titles under any other emulator?

Astonishia Story R I think is Korean only. There's a French translation being made, though...

Dunno about snes emulation because it's really quite primitive. SNESemu runs fast but no sound and no save support (ie, rpgs are pointless)...SNES9XGP is the opposite. runs slow, has sound, has save support. CT should be playable, BoF might be, FF3 I doubt.

I suggest looking at RPGs on SMS (Phantasy Star, Golden Axe Warrior?, Golvellius?, etc) PC Engine (the Neutopia games?) and so on. They run a hell of a lot better!

Great RPGs

GAME GEAR\MASTER SYSTEM
-Shining Force Series for the Game Gear(there are us versions available), Phantasy Star, Ultima

GAMEBOY
-Dragon Warrior Series seemed good, Daikatana, Azure Dreams, Grandia(some grandia game?), Shadowgate,

C64

Bloodwych, Alternate Reality Series(doesn't work yet but the best rpg of all time in my opinion), Wasteland(Doesn't work yet), Bards Tale--

Yep they do work --

But final fantasy is overrated in my opinion - its pretty much a standard rpg game

What FF version do you say does work? Under what emulator? And how about Speed, Sound'n'Saving :) ?

Now thats a millon dollar question!

I think I had a rom called ff3.gb - if that means anything to you? Final fantasy legend 3 or something? - it was working as far as I know- yes the emulator does save as well..

Yes - its worth wetting your pants for - you can play your gb rpgs and save

oh..and the speed is fine - to me it plays perfect? - heres some details to avoid you asking the questions

gbvgb 0.11

--Yes it runs most gb/gbc games(well most of mine)
--You can resize the screen to stretch, small, actually size etc
--sound\music seems to work enought o be satisfactory(through clips and slightly wrong sounds)
--The roms I think are particular good are Snoopy Tennis(really good), Mario Tennis, Mario Picross, Boggle(I'm a sad sack of shit), Little Nicky(a bit glitchy)
--Zelda works--(as far as I know)
--A simple menu system is used to load the roms
--The screen definition is so so much better than the actually gameboy(especially on mono games) it really is much clearer. No point having a gameboy if you have a gp32

How's your Japanese? The only mainstream FF games that are playable at a decent speed are the Wonderswan Crystal versions of FF1,2 and 4! FF1 and FF2 have translations, FF4 doesn't. If you've memorized the dialogue that's no problem, though. It runs full speed AND saves with SAVE STATES, but there's no sound support at all. WonderBoi is a much underrated emulator. It plays Mr Driller for gods sake! If only it had sound, I'd put beatmania on it because it's a near perfect conversion of beatmania 3rd MIX..the only difference is the graphics (B&W) and the controls. The sound is perfect.

FYI FF1 and FF2 are the same as the PSX versions (roughly - same enhancements) and FF4...well, I haven't seen it on PSX, but it's much better than on SNES. Sound and graphics wise.

indeed it is - I have the 4 d64 files - Its like the original Fallout (Fallout is the best pc rpg in my opinion)

the reason the better rpgs on the snes dont work is cause of the size as far as i know anything above 4 meg in size dont work
i will be testing some shortly i will let u know

btw the snes roms must be in smc format

timthepig posted on Mar 10 2003 said:
Great RPGs

GAME GEAR\MASTER SYSTEM
-Shining Force Series for the Game Gear(there are us versions available), Phantasy Star, Ultima

GAMEBOY
-Dragon Warrior Series seemed good, Daikatana, Azure Dreams, Grandia(some grandia game?), Shadowgate,

C64

Bloodwych, Alternate Reality Series(doesn't work yet but the best rpg of all time in my opinion), Wasteland(Doesn't work yet), Bards Tale--
-Shining Force Series for the Game Gear(there are us versions available),

Any URL's for where to get hold of these? I loved the Megadrive/Genesis versions of this game, spent many a days constantly battling.

Cheers

MrT

Last edited by a moderator:
mr t
i was gonna help u in finding those games but your a sheffield united supporter so nochance dood
only kidding like im a leeds sup(total shite this season)
but i have all roms for all emus ill help u out .

Back