Best Snes Emulation Handheld?

koldplay

Still Fresh
Hi,

Sorry if this has been asked before or if I am posting in the wrong forum.

I am looking for a portable device mainly for SNES emulation.
In particular the games I want to play are Super Mario RPG, Chrono Cross,
Secret of Mana, Terrnanigma, Final Fantasys.

I have narrowed it down to either PSP or Caanoo so far.
I have no issues modifying the PSP or the price difference.
I am mainly looking for the best one that runs SNES emulation.

I heard that Caanoo got its Pocketsnes emulator updated recently
so I am wondering if it is now as good as PSP?

I was going to get the Pandora but it seems as if people are not
receiving them for a long time eventhough it says 7 day shipping on the website.

Maybe I am missing a device or should I just wait for the Pandora?
I want to get the Caanoo but I read in a different post that it has probably
reached its peak in terms of SNES emulation.

Any help is apprecitated. Thanks.

here is a thread. I can´t say anything to PSP, but Super Mario RPG runs very slow and Secret of Mana runs very fine on Caanoo.

Last edited by a moderator:
I owned a psp slim for a while and the snes emulation (snes9xtyl) was very good but not 100% perfect.
I remember mario kart wasn't quite full speed and zelda and marioworld were a bit glitchy when they scrolled but despite all this it was pretty damn good emulation and most people would be more than happy with it

Super Mario RPG is fairly playable in pocketSNES on the Caanoo. It just needs frameskip. ANY frameskip, even if it is 0. It doesn't seem to like the default auto frameskip for some reason, resulting in 4-5 FPS. I haven't done a full playthrough, but the first half dozen levels or so have given me around 45-60FPS at stock clock speeds with frameskip 0 and transparencies off, with some of the busier scenes going a bit lower. Obviously not perfect, but still very playable considering it's an SA-1 chip title and the turn-based game style.

someoneElse said:
Super Mario RPG is fairly playable in pocketSNES on the Caanoo. It just needs frameskip. ANY frameskip, even if it is 0. It doesn't seem to like the default auto frameskip for some reason, resulting in 4-5 FPS. I haven't done a full playthrough, but the first half dozen levels or so have given me around 45-60FPS at stock clock speeds with frameskip 0 and transparencies off, with some of the busier scenes going a bit lower. Obviously not perfect, but still very playable considering it's an SA-1 chip title and the turn-based game style.
I´ll give it a try. Thanks for the hint.

Last edited by a moderator:
Super Mario Rpg plays perfectly on the Sony Ericcson Xperia Play using Snes9x as does everything else i tried.Its a bit expensive but definately the best handheld for snes enulation in my opinion.

Back