Bl**dy Dust!!

p j

Walk into the Shadows, Step from the Light
Website
Visit site
Hey,

I Recently purchased a flu from someone here and while its a fantastically good thing in fine working order, there is dust under the actual screen... how to desc ribe it... ok. when you remove the grey bit there is a screen under that on the fl that has slight rivets on like a chopping board. theres dust under this and the light shows it up quite well, its strting to annoy me. is there anyway i can kill the dust?
im getting a glass screen from gp32z soon so i want that to be the last time i ever take the screen off.

any sugestions? :)

sam fisher posted on Feb 26 2005 at 10:51 AM said:
its what speads the light over the screen. so damageing messes it up.

i just wiped the rivet screen with a glasses cleaner, is that ok?

Edit: Look the gp32 light loks fine, can we geet back on the subject of the dust?

Last edited by a moderator:
The light guide is pretty delicate although touching wont damage it unless toy put some pressure behind.. you can try using pressurissed air cans to get rid of the dust but in some cases, people have got more dust then before trying to remove some..

Nova posted on Feb 26 2005 at 10:56 AM said:
sam fisher posted on Feb 26 2005 at 10:51 AM said:
its what speads the light over the screen. so damageing messes it up.

i just wiped the rivet screen with a glasses cleaner, is that ok?

Edit: Look the gp32 light loks fine, can we geet back on the subject of the dust?

BE CAAAREFULL!!! The flu screen has 2 glasses, 1 is especial stried grass, if you touch it with your fingers it's dead !!!! If you damage the light guide it's dead too.

AVOID TO REPAIR OR REPLACE YOUR FLU GLASS AS MUCH AS YOU CAN :( if you are not very lucky you can get a lot more dust in the internal stried glass or the light not spreading correctly :(

Aiken

I suggest you use a camera lens brush - brushing along the grooves of the light dispersing screen. This will effectively remove all of the dust. But don't do it yet - wait until you get your glass screen.
When you have your screen, remove the grey surround and old plastic screen. Carefully remove any double-sided tape residue from the grey surround and the GP32. Get some UHU White Tack - like Blutac only much better. Carefully seal the hole where the FLU light leads come thru from the GP32 (this is a big source of recurring dust) and then put thin strips of White Tack all around the edge of the GP32. (You will notice that the gold strip at the bottom of the FLU stands slightly higher than the other edges - this is why I use White Tack as the glass screen cannot flex to compensate for the height difference.) Then , in a dust free atmosphere, brush the light dispersal screen and the underside of the glass screen, and quickly press the glass screen into place.
Finally put small strips of White Tack around he edge of the glass screen and replace the grey surround. You can use a cocktail stick to easily remove any excess White Tack.

I did this to my FLU over a year ago, and I've had no dust problems since.

reeced posted on Feb 26 2005 at 12:10 PM said:
I suggest you use a camera lens brush - brushing along the grooves of the light dispersing screen. This will effectively remove all of the dust. But don't do it yet - wait until you get your glass screen.
When you have your screen, remove the grey surround and old plastic screen. Carefully remove any double-sided tape residue from the grey surround and the GP32. Get some UHU White Tack - like Blutac only much better. Carefully seal the hole where the FLU light leads come thru from the GP32 (this is a big source of recurring dust) and then put thin strips of White Tack all around the edge of the GP32. (You will notice that the gold strip at the bottom of the FLU stands slightly higher than the other edges - this is why I use White Tack as the glass screen cannot flex to compensate for the height difference.) Then , in a dust free atmosphere, brush the light dispersal screen and the underside of the glass screen, and quickly press the glass screen into place.
Finally put small strips of White Tack around he edge of the glass screen and replace the grey surround. You can use a cocktail stick to easily remove any excess White Tack.

I did this to my FLU over a year ago, and I've had no dust problems since.

thats very good advice thank you, but the dust is on the underside of the light guide, suppose ill just just have to live with it

its cool actually cos im working in a stationary shop atm so i just picked myself up some uhu white tack at workers discount just this moment

What happens if you do scratch the light guide?

dust on a BLU doesnt realy matter... when my BLU is off I can see dust, but once its on you cant see it :D

yaustar posted on Feb 26 2005 at 02:45 PM said:
you get a very visiable scratch whilst playing.. (i did this with my afterburner :( )

there is a tiny scratch but its not visible whilst playing. are slightly darker spots common in flus?

Nova posted on Feb 26 2005 at 09:58 PM said:
you get a very visiable scratch whilst playing.. (i did this with my afterburner :( )

there is a tiny scratch but its not visible whilst playing. are slightly darker spots common in flus?

resist!

i always look for imperfections - fiddle - and then mess things up!

just play the thing!

:D

spaceboygp32x posted on Feb 26 2005 at 10:16 PM said:
Nova posted on Feb 26 2005 at 09:58 PM said:

resist!

i always look for imperfections - fiddle - and then mess things up!

just play the thing!

:D

that is just like me. when i was 12 i cried for about half a day cos my watch got scratched up :(

Back