Scratches/dust On Bottom Glass

SiHiDa

Still Fresh
I removed the top glass because it was full of scratches. The bottom glass was almost free of scratches, only some dust. I tried to remove this dust with a dry cloth, but there are tiny scratches now and the dust hasn't been removed. How can I remove these scratches and the dust?

What do you mean with "bottom glass"?
The LCD?
Nearly impossible to remove scratches there...

EvilDragon posted on May 20 2004 at 10:36 PM said:
The LCD?
No, not the LCD itself, I think (and I hope...).

I have a GP32 FLU, which have 2 glasses: A top one and a bottom one (the bottom one has to spread the front light smooth).

Last edited by a moderator:
SiHiDa posted on May 20 2004 at 10:39 PM said:
EvilDragon posted on May 20 2004 at 10:36 PM said:
The LCD?
No, not the LCD itself, I think (and I hope...).

I have a GP32 FLU, which have 2 glasses: A top one and a bottom one (the bottom one has to spread the front light smooth).
Yes those plastic FLU lenses are VERY soft. The atoms of air blowing across is almost enough to scratch it. It has tiny grooves in it and many times will trap dust particles in the grooves. Any attempt at removing them will almost certainly result in a scratched FLU and/or more dust. Because it is lit from the edge any imperfection/dust will light up like a Christmas tree.

I am afraid you have only 3 choices now:

Live with the scratches in the FLU.

Find a replacement ribbed piece.

Rip out the FLU lens and have a clear but scratch free non-FLU for lit areas (the actual LCD should be fine), and maybe buy a BLU when released for the dark.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, i ruined my light distributor screen too. I sent it back to gbax, which then sent it to Gamepark in Korea for repair. I actually got an email from craig at gbax.com saying that Gamepark told him they werent accepting light repairs anymore. I actually did get it repaired though for some reason. B) lucky me!
All i can suggest is to sweet talk craigx here on the boards and see if he could work his magic for a replacement part (he seems like a great and friendly guy) or perhaps try those canner air cleaners, commonly used for keyboards, small things, etc.

Good grief! I have a glass replacement screen coming from MashMods; I will most certainly use canned air to remove any dust from my FLU light guide. Dust I could live with, but scratches ... :ph34r:

I would recomend trying the canned air that you can buy from camera shops.its cleaner than the stuff sold for computers.

another way is to buy some good quality 2 inch electricians tape and cut a piece longer than the screen and lay it gently on the light guide leaving a flap at one side.Then GENTLY smooth the tape over using light finger pressure.Then pull it off gently and slowly from the flap end.

I have done this but would only recomend it as a last resort.If the dust cant be blown of with air and is driving you mad.

then if the screen is clear perhaps seal round the grey bezel ring thing with silicon or something to stop more getting in.you really dont want to have to open it very often

Back