Blog Entry

Oscaruzzo

Website
Visit site
There is a new blog entry on http://openpandora.org/blog.php. While it's nice to see some updates, I'm not particulary happy about the fact that "The secret discussion area is bustling with activity since a few days".

This does not look very "community friendly", nor "open" in any possibile way. Please DON'T repeat the same errors that GP did with the GP2X. Be open to everyone on everthing. Don't keep any secrets. I for one consider myself a good developer and while I didn't apply for a dev unit for lack of spare time, I would enjoy to follow the development discussions about the kernel, about porting and optimizing libraries like SDL, but also GTK, Cairo, etc.

Just my two cents.

If the 'secret areas' were open to the public, they wouldn't get used, because it would mean every single post would be picked apart, every word analysed and argued over (similar to how craig and chip's posts are currently).

It is called "secret discussion area" because it is the secret discussion area, you know ;)
It's perfectly fine -for me as a community member - to accept that.

mali said:
It's perfectly fine -for me as a community member - to accept that.
It is.

I'm sure they will ask for input when needed.
I'm also sure they will go public when there is something to go public with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, these guys aren't stupid, they know what we want a lot of the time and even if in the end we get back something we aren't 100% on, well we can redo whatever we want and make any changes. I think its more efficient for them to have a good team to get the basics done for the release rather than everyone bicker over the most miniscule software details later on. Open hardware discussion made more sense because that stuff is going to be totally fixed and unchangeable without any drastic physical modification.

Maybe they should have called it the 'Developer's Discussion Area' then it wouldn't seems so secret <_<

And anyone who thought they had some input to give could ask for access.

parag0n said:
If the 'secret areas' were open to the public, they wouldn't get used, because it would mean every single post would be picked apart, every word analysed and argued over (similar to how craig and chip's posts are currently).
Agreed. Also, it would end up full of port requests, "lulz", and ordering queries.

There's work getting done in there, let's keep it that way.

Yup. I was wondering when the first person would over-react to the word 'secret' would be. As gp32rich pointed out, they could have worded it slightly better. But that would be the first time poor words have been used to describe a situation in the history of the Pandora now, would it? ;)

icurafu said:
And it's not even really for all devs. Just people who have some kind of close involvment in the project, or those who bring women to parties.
:lol:

(Only decent thing about this thread.)

Geeeez :D

Didn't think my "secret" would sound that bad :)

As correctly estimated above, that discussion area is just for those who got a devboard and help develop the system.
If we had it open like the dev area, there would be so many discussions, disagreements, wishes, etc. that the Pandora would have to be delayed until 2011 simply because we couldn't finish the OS :)

Relax guys, we're doing the first base OS of the Pandora there. And when the Pandora is released, the source code is open (it already is for everybody for the kernel!) so ANYBODY can change and contribute whatever he likes. And the good stuff and ideas will be used for the official OS, but let us just make a good base to start, mmkay?

Maybe you remember the package management discussion thread on the normal dev sections... hundreds of posts with tons of different views, everybody wanted something different - which doesn't help in finishing anything.

Plus, I would imagine it is nice to be able to say "We might be able to do X but it might not be worth it/won't happen any time soon/might not even be possible", and get some feedback without all this drama.

sample secret area post
" I can't get gmenu to work at the right speed no matter what I do"

sample general discussion user response
" I THOUGHT THIS WAS SUPPOSED TO BE SORTED FOR RELEASE OMG IM NOT REORDERING "

speaking of which
the latest blog post said all reorders could be placed, but where's the link for credit card reorders?

If any of the obsessive pandora fanboys here, what with their half baked ideas, horrible grasp of the economy or the pandoras financial situation, or even personal and professional courtesy, it would be pure horror

Back