Bluetooh Webcam For Pandora!

joseluisjazz

As good as it sounds.
If you have a series 60 phone with camera, you can use it as a webcam for your Pandora connected by bluetooth. Take a look at this list of S60 devices to check if your phone is one of them.
I just tested it on my linux desktop system with a USB-Bluetooth adaptor and a nokia 6110 navigator and it works. So I wrote this howto to help whoever wants to try this software by himself before a nice and easy package is made for the Pandora.

The name of the project I stumbled upon is smartcam. It has a nice GPL license. It works with Kopete, aMsn, Ekiga, gstreamer in linux... and it even works with skype! (although skype wont work in Pandora)
It'll maybe need some more work to work flawlessly, but it's very good in current status.

The last version available right now is smartcam_linux_v_2008.09.18.2. (updated the 27th of october)
smartcamtest2zw3.th.png
Screenshot of smartcam running
The software consists of 3 parts:
  • a ) The driver. A kernel module that must be compiled for the exact kernel you're running, that creates a /dev/video? device
    b ) The program that runs in the computer.
    c ) The program that runs in the symbian phone, and you have to install it there.
First, unzip the file smartcam_v_2008.09.18.2.zip. It will create a dir named smartcam. CD into it.
CODE
$ cd smartcam/
$ ls
COPYING ReadMe.txt release src

a ) COMPILE THE DRIVER. For the pandora, I suppose there will be precompiled drivers for each of the official kernels. But if you want to try it now you'll have to compile it yourself. To be able to do that, you need to install the headers of the kernel you are using. Or if you recompiled the kernel yourself, you need to keep the same sourcetree you used to recompile it.
*Note* If you are running a 2.6.27 kernel, you must patch the driver or it wont compile. Here you can download the patch (smartcam-linux-2.6.27.1.patch). To apply it use this:
CODE
$ patch -p0 < smartcam-linux-2.6.27.1.patch
patching file src/driver/smartcam.c

To compile the driver you have to type this: (Type only what's on the right of the $ symbol. What follows # are comments)
CODE
$ cd src/driver
$ make -C /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build M=`pwd` modules # <-- To compile it
make: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.27.5'
Building modules, stage 2.
MODPOST 1 modules
make: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.27.5'
$ sudo insmod smartcam.ko # <-- To load it
$ lsmod | grep smartcam # <-- To check if it's loaded
smartcam 5720 0
videodev 29376 2 smartcam,pwc
$ cd ../.. # <-- Return to the smartcam directory
Make sure you don't use optimized CFLAG values, or the driver probably wont work well.

b ) THE LINUX PROGRAM. Probably it wont be necessary to recompile it first. But you need the bluez library. In debian the package is named libbluetooth2, you will also need to install libbluetooth-dev if you intend to compile it. First, try to run the precompiled version:
CODE
$ ./release/smartcam
If it works, a new window will popup, waiting for the phone to connect. To quit the smartcam program, it seems it's not enough to close that window, but you have to go to the console and press CTRL + C keys.

If the program doesn't work, then you'll have to compile it. Here is how:
CODE
$ cd src/app
$ gcc `pkg-config --cflags --libs gtk+-2.0 gthread-2.0` -lbluetooth smartcam.c -o smartcam
$ ./smartcam
Found smartcam device file: /dev/video0
port = 1

c ) INSTALLING THE SYMBIAN APP IN THE PHONE. Since the certificate of the sis installers that comes with the software are not valid anymore, you must re-sign the application using a free online service of Symbian. (There is also a jSmartCam.jar installer file, but although I could install it well in the phone, I couldn't make that program work well... )

So let's go with the signing. Go to the Symbian Open Signed Online web page. The formulary asks you for several things.
  1. Your phone's IMEI number (Type *#06# in your phone in order to show the 16 digit code)
  2. A valid email address, where you will receive the following instructions. (Note to gmail users, it doesn't seem to work well when you give your address with the name+something@gmail trick)
  3. The SIS file to sign. There are two. Choose the right for your phone's S60 version (SmartCamS602ndEd.SIS or SmartCamS603rdEd.SIS)
  4. Select the capabilities. I'm not sure which of them are needed, so I selected all.
  5. Type the security code, and accept the legal agreement.
If all the data is correct, you'll receive an email with a confirmation address. After you follow that link you'll receive a second email with the download link of your signed application. Install that application in your phone. I can't give more instructions on how to do that, depends on the phone.

The last thing to know is that you need to have the kernel module loaded, the linux program running and listening, and start the phone application, which is the one that has to search for bluetooth devices and connect to the linux computer.
So remember to uncover the camera lense, run the SmartCam application. Options -> Start -> choose the correct bluetooth device and.... have fun!

That's all folks.
Have a nice :pandora1: experience. B)

Last edited by a moderator:
My N95 just got a new lease one life. Awesome job.

Make a quick little tripod I saw with a 1/8" (3.5mm) phone jack to put the phone on, and voila.

Sounds interesting, I have a feeling my dad has a S60. I think gaffer taping it to the back of the Pandora sounds ok, right?

Also, handy if you every stop in a wi fi point with the sudden urge to show your face to people on the internet, and don't have a webcam!

gibberish said:
Sounds interesting, I have a feeling my dad has a S60. I think gaffer taping it to the back of the Pandora sounds ok, right?

Also, handy if you every stop in a wi fi point with the sudden urge to show your face to people on the internet, and don't have a webcam!
:lol:

Or just need a very geeky mirror...

PokeParadox said:
gibberish said:

:lol:

Or just need a very geeky mirror...

intel_lapping_5.jpg

That is a very geeky mirror, if I've ever seen one.

(lapped processor, btw)

Back