Bob

Epicenter posted on Oct 9 2006 at 01:04 AM said:
If you have a 'docking station' for a '2x the whole idea is to be able to set it down and have it hooked to power, TV-out and all of that. Why would you buy a SECOND machine because of a breakout box? If anything it should specifically eliminate any need to have 2 units.
Not if you want to leave it connected all the time...

:eek: I never knew there were two commercial games! Has anyone played this Blazer game?

Last edited by a moderator:
I love how I can find a nice, long post from Epicenter, and become completely refreshed with reality and the GP2X time/space continuum.
Epicenter posted on Oct 9 2006 at 12:02 AM said:
Craig has given us some mixed information about the GP2X's profitability. Part says the GP2X has not made GPH a profit. He has not said if each unit does. I'm sure GPH would have a lot more money to improve the GP2X if they weren't wasting money on this project though. That isn't to say they shouldn't produce a breakout device, but it should probably be executed differently.

First off, I don't see why it isn't just an attachment to the unit itself. Craig described something of this nature to me, with a keypad of sorts. Seems like a better idea-- a clip-on unit instead of some awkward box that needs to trail off the machine and have its own power! The device he described would have all the breakout dev board's capabilities incl. 3 USB ports. Seems like a pretty good idea to me. But I don't see that happening. I also heard talk of a replacement backplate to add BoB features. Not sure if it was to be from GPH or not, but that hasn't surfaced either.

The bigger issue I see is that GPH wasted all this money building a BoB that apparently still has engineering flaws (big ones) and now, instead of even fixing it, is rushing on to make a docking station of some sort. This is clearly a totally new PCB design and will cost even more money. Why doesn't GPH fix this negative pattern in their behavior by planning out one working device, testing a prototype, ensuring it works and then mass-producing it? This 'make something broken, then mass-produce it, then replace it later with something totally different' bit is not a step in the right direction.

GPH always give me the same response when I ask them this :(

When are you going to release a Consumer version of the break out box?

Soon...

When are you going to release the white GP2X version?

Soon...

When are you going to release the laser cannon that attaches to the Ext?

Soon...

Just had a small chat with GPH:

The BOB has been delayed (who didn't think that ;)), as they had to change the design for some reason.

It should be availabe by the end of November.

godamnit. lets hope after all these delays it will be worth it and its not a cheap flimsy poorly constructed thing in which your 2X barely fits into properly =(

Well, seeing as we won't be getting a PS3 until March-ish, I have this to look forward to ...

(Damn, I reallllly want to play MAME on my TV ;))

TelcoLou posted on Oct 12 2006 at 05:18 PM said:
Well, seeing as we won't be getting a PS3 until March-ish, I have this to look forward to ...

(Damn, I reallllly want to play MAME on my TV ;))
100% what I say, every single aspect of this post is QFT :D

Back