Boomshine2x Gameplay Video

Quiest said:
I have the game up and running too :D with 30 fps and 60 balls... unoptimized.

Tho I promised Sam not to release it... as this is his first project he wants to follow through... well, I think, if I`m not pleased with those to I`m gonna release a third clone :D
horray!!!
:wub:

Last edited by a moderator:
blurgh, purple_goat, please try not to be too cheerful. I don't know how much more cheerfulness I can take, i'm really cheerful myself and the moment and anymore and I could very well explode!

Everyone should clone this game... heck, we have versions in Fenix, Java.. how about C? ;) *considers*

Alex, go for it! We have two Fenix and one java. I don't know any SDL so I can't make it in C :D You could do this game pretty well I think. It is slightly annoying that literally two days after I though "I know what I will do for my little project!" that everyman and his dog has started a clone now. It means I have pressure to actually finish mine, gah, I suck at control flow. I suppose I could finish it up tonight. Furthermore, who actually requested a clone of this? I thought of it myself but he nicked my idea, thus I must hire a hitman to go after him :D

Ha, no, my explosions don`t kill the framerate... its actually faster if there are just explosions on screen :p the biggest slowdown is caused by my collision detection atm, and that is only happening when the balls are normal, not when they are exploding... and sounds wouldnt really slow it down much.

Alex. said:
Nagelfar said:
What color would you suggest? To be honest I don't like the green of the original game.
A dark navy blue, perhaps? Gray would be too boring.

I uploaded a new version, now with a dark blue background (just change background.png if you don't like it) and a new titlescree (provided by Shirohagen, I think). What do you think?
http://www.nagelfar.com/boomshine2x/Boomshine2x.zip

I could do one in SDL, too... but I haven`t tried to run any of my SDL code on the gp2x yet... hey Alex, if you have some advice on this, could you please pm me?
I think I make it SDL... should be fun. And I dont really like my Fenixcode for this game...

Quiest said:
I could do one in SDL, too... but I haven`t tried to run any of my SDL code on the gp2x yet... hey Alex, if you have some advice on this, could you please pm me?
I think I make it SDL... should be fun. And I dont really like my Fenixcode for this game...
Ahm, mine is already done using SDL :) But go ahead, in the end will merge all our ideas in one perfect version :lol:

Ah! I thought its in Java? Or is it Java/SDL?
I wanna make in C++/SDL.

I still have a game lying around on my laptop I made in SDL for the gp2x, so I haven`t gotten around to set up the gp2x environment and compile something for the 2X...
Gonna upload the pc version of it this evening, and if anyone is interested to help me making it run on the 2X, please contact me.

I can see this turning into a coding competition - see who can implement 'boomshine' in the smallest number of lines, etc...

Just a thought about the screen colour change when you've reached the required number, why not just make the one that triggers it a much bigger explosion - after all the level is complete at that point anyway?

Quiest said:
Ah! I thought its in Java? Or is it Java/SDL?
I wanna make in C++/SDL.

I still have a game lying around on my laptop I made in SDL for the gp2x, so I haven`t gotten around to set up the gp2x environment and compile something for the 2X...
Gonna upload the pc version of it this evening, and if anyone is interested to help me making it run on the 2X, please contact me.
It is JAVA using SDL. Have fun setting up an environment for the GP2x and SDL, that is an "interesting" experience *g*

Gruntfuggly said:
I can see this turning into a coding competition - see who can implement 'boomshine' in the smallest number of lines, etc...

Just a thought about the screen colour change when you've reached the required number, why not just make the one that triggers it a much bigger explosion - after all the level is complete at that point anyway?
Score depends on how many balls you destory and you may also reach a "boomshine".

Gruntfuggly said:

Making the screen flash is pretty easy. Atleast in Fenix. Just a white 320x240 map with increasing alpha value...

Isn`t Java still pretty slow on the 2X? Or did I miss some releases (I`m not checking the site as much as I did a year ago anymore)

And now a question: Is the balls needed to complete a level calculated in some (i don`t wanna play through the game now to check, I just remember its been
Level 1 = 5 balls, 1 needed (20%)
Level 2 = 10 balls, 2 needed (20%)
Level 12 = 60 balls, 55 needed (~91,6%)

I hate hard coding levels for games as small as this.
So does anyone of you have a list of balls/needed per level?
Or any calculation ideas?

Quiest said:
Gruntfuggly said:

Making the screen flash is pretty easy. Atleast in Fenix. Just a white 320x240 map with increasing alpha value...

And isn`t Java still pretty slow on the 2X? Or did I miss some releases (I`m not checking the site as much as I did a year ago anymore)

*rolleyes* it is not optimized ASM but it's not slow, no. When (finally) will people start to realise, that JAVA has come a long, long way since 1.0?!

I dont mean Java is slow, but Java on the 2X is slow.
And I said I dont know, thats why I asked.
Oh and a new question has risen in my reply before, please check it :D

Quiest said:
Yeah, I'm just sick of it. Every freaking time I release something the first thing that pops up: Isn't Java so slow? I heard Java is really slow. I just had enough of it, I'll move back to cell phone games, almost 99.9% of them are in Java, running fine and people appreciate free stuff and not having to pay 4 Euros a month for a shitty Jamba Abo. </rant>
About the numbers, I just took the ones from the original game and put them in a config file so they can be easily changed.

Nagelfar said:
Quiest said:
Yeah, I'm just sick of it. Every freaking time I release something the first thing that pops up: Isn't Java so slow? I heard Java is really slow. I just had enough of it, I'll move back to cell phone games, almost 99.9% of them are in Java, running fine and people appreciate free stuff and not having to pay 4 Euros a month for a shitty Jamba Abo. </rant>
About the numbers, I just took the ones from the original game and put them in a config file so they can be easily changed.

Nagelfar, you authored some solid programs in Java for the 2X, so why be so sensitive about these little questions? Your programs run fine, and only very few people have problems running them. You really shouldn't give this such a great attention and let it hit you in a negative way.

Alex. said:
Nagelfar, you authored some solid programs in Java for the 2X, so why be so sensitive about these little questions? Your programs run fine, and only very few people have problems running them. You really shouldn't give this such a great attention and let it hit you in a negative way.
Ah, that's just me bitching around. I can only take so much of the "hard to install" "too slow" "not working" "shitty language" BS some people are posting just because people are too stupid. Get a gameboy for christ's sake and play some Pokemon.

Back