Boomshine2x Gameplay Video

sam fisher said:
Nagelfar, why not include the java install in your archive, and tell them to install it in the root of the SD, that way they can't complain :)
Because then Mr. 56k Modem will complain, that it is too big to download.
It doesn't make sense to include the java runtime in every game I release, overkill and waste of space.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did I say any of those ?! I was just asking, as I haven`t kept track of the Java development for the 2X,
last time I read about it, it was in pretty early, unusable stages.
And besides that, my cellphone games ARE pretty slow :D but that might also be my shitty cellphone.

Quiest said:
Did I say any of those ?!
No, 'twas just a general statement.

sam fisher said:
Boomshine rivalry lol. I'm pissed off everyon is nicking my project :(
Rivalry? Where? Now get your game done so we can compare and stop whining, I want to start nicking your ideas.

sam fisher said:
Don't worry Sam, I for one won't release anything more than tech demos, and bits of source, if anyone will want to compare theirs with mine. You and Nagelfar started this project, and even asked for the original author's permission. I'd have to be quite the asshole to butt in. I'm just working in parallel with you guys for fun :)

Alex. said:
sam fisher said:
Don't worry Sam, I for one won't release anything more than tech demos, and bits of source, if anyone will want to compare theirs with mine. You and Nagelfar started this project, and even asked for the original author's permission. I'd have to be quite the asshole to butt in. I'm just working in parallel with you guys for fun :)

I for one would like to see your version for two reasons:
*) I really like the style of your games, would be interesting to see your interpretation of Boomshine
*) you don't use SDL so you should get decent framerates even on high levels

Nagelfar said:
*) you don't use SDL so you should get decent framerates even on high levels
No, I do use SDL :p

Edit: oh, I think you misinterpreted when I said "hardware sprites" in the other thread. By that I meant hardware-SDL sprites. Alpha blended SDL sprites are faster on SW surfaces than they are on HW surfaces. I think Paeryn said that hardware surfaces are converted to software surfaces each time alpha operations are done, and this on-the-fly conversion must be what's slowing them down. Anywho now I ditched alpha blending altogether ;)

Alex. said:
You and Nagelfar started this project, and even asked for the original author's permission. I'd have to be quite the asshole to butt in. I'm just working in parallel with you guys for fun :)
Aha, sounds like a hidden message for me :D
But I wont release anything here, as I`m not pleased with my Fenix code... although it should run at fullspeed now :) Have to test somehow when I get home (need batteries).

Alex. said:
sam fisher said:

No, release what you want, im not pissed with anyone in particular. Just busy with school stress and generally pissed at the world atm, cept for a bundle of happiness that I have :)

Quiest said:
Alex. said:
You and Nagelfar started this project, and even asked for the original author's permission. I'd have to be quite the asshole to butt in. I'm just working in parallel with you guys for fun :)
Aha, sounds like a hidden message for me :D
But I wont release anything here, as I`m not pleased with my Fenix code... although it should run at fullspeed now :) Have to test somehow when I get home (need batteries).

Bah, I have fullspeed....

sam fisher said:
Oh FFS, did you have to nick my fucking folder name? Now I have to change my fucking setup to avoid people overwriting your sodding game!
His folder can only be placed in jamvm, it's likely people won't put yours there too :rolleyes:

Alex. said:
sam fisher said:
Oh FFS, did you have to nick my fucking folder name? Now I have to change my fucking setup to avoid people overwriting your sodding game!
His folder can only be placed in jamvm, it's likely people won't put yours there too :rolleyes:

Actually it COULD be put outside but people can't handle it as it is so I won't tell them *g*

Yup. IMO mines better than Nagelfars, no offense Nagelfar, your's just doesn't feel "right" and going above level 9 is impossible. Furthermore, the sound is too slow and performance sketchy. Now I'm not one to call Java slow... joking!

sam fisher said:
going above level 9 is impossible. Furthermore, the sound is too slow and performance sketchy.
Huh? I can easily reach Level 11. And sound is too slow? I can't follow you there either, sry. Concerning performance: I'm still waiting for you to release at least a playable demo or the whole game so I can test it and see, if I can make any improvements to my version but so far ... I don't really care if mine is worse or not, I just want the best experience to play this awesome game on the GP2x, be it in Java, Fenix or C (if Alex. decides to continue working on his very promising dithered version) and as of now mine IS doing better, as yours is doing a Duke Nukem Forever.

Back